Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How many do you want? Shall I start off with, let's say, five for now?
The original question wasn't proposed to you, it was proposed to the person who stated "Some people on this site from the "DC MSA" like to go by CSA, likely because they feel it makes their home seem more important. " So feel free to go ahead and hijack the thread if you want to, and show us 5 specific examples of trying to "seem more important" at the expense of Baltimore if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even before I moved here, I saw both metro areas as distinct. I do not consider DC/Baltimore to be one entity in the same way as the Bay Area or the NC Triangle and never have.
You know one thing that makes the Bay Area seem more unified is development patterns in the West are simply different from the leafy suburbs of the mid-Atlantic/NE. As someone already posted it really is just one big blob of suburbs from most of NOVA on and throughout MD until Cecil county, we just kind of separate it because it seems like to call them all one metro would be a stretch. Although in your point of the NC triangle I get it because those central cities are no where near as dominant as DC or Baltimore.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yea most people that are familiar with the area do, but I've heard NY'ers and people from other places that like to lump them into being the same, and have to step in and correct them on it.

Someone from DC will get hot real fast if you liken them to being from Baltimore, lol. And vice versa.
Now that's funny and where it gets sticky, even though I see DC/ B-more as one big Metropolis, when it comes down to particular city or someone may be from i view that totally different.. Both Cities are very distinct as far as City.. I think more of the blend or mix up is more in the Maryland suburbs which seem shared in some ways.. I always refer or call it the DC / Baltimore Area in general when referring to the area with people from there.. The ride on 95 can give that all out 1 huge metro feel but make no mistake about it, they are two different and large cities in their own right

Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
How so?

Proof...

"Baltimore, because it's flat out better in some categories like weather, and close to and shares a CSA with DC. Therefore all is not lost for Bmore here."

"DC-Baltimore will cruise to 10 million and past Chicago, both the DC and Baltimore MSA's gained population last year while Chicago lost a lot. Idk exactly what will happen by 2020 though."

Sonic was like that too, I believe the only one regionally was like Reisterstown Rd in Bmore for a while,

Baltimore and Washington are more connected and tied to each other than Philadelphia and NY are. So it's not as simple as your explanation of "all four function independently". Baltimore-DC is a "market" made up of two separate "markets".

"I've given and honest opinion and fact based statement about Baltimore having its advantages being in the same CSA as DC."

Should I keep going?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Now that's funny and where it gets sticky, even though I see DC/ B-more as one big Metropolis, when it comes down to particular city or someone may be from i view that totally different.. Both Cities are very distinct as far as City.. I think more of the blend or mix up is more in the Maryland suburbs which seem shared in some ways.. I always refer or call it the DC / Baltimore Area in general when referring to the area with people from there.. The ride on 95 can give that all out 1 huge metro feel but make no mistake about it, they are two different and large Cities/Metros in their own right
Fixed that for you.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
The original question wasn't proposed to you, it was proposed to the person who stated "Some people on this site from the "DC MSA" like to go by CSA, likely because they feel it makes their home seem more important. " So feel free to go ahead and hijack the thread if you want to, and show us 5 specific examples of trying to "seem more important" at the expense of Baltimore if you like.
I don't care about what was proposed for who, I'm about you, to you. You are the main culprit.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
"Baltimore, because it's flat out better in some categories like weather, and close to and shares a CSA with DC. Therefore all is not lost for Bmore here."

"DC-Baltimore will cruise to 10 million and past Chicago, both the DC and Baltimore MSA's gained population last year while Chicago lost a lot. Idk exactly what will happen by 2020 though."

Sonic was like that too, I believe the only one regionally was like Reisterstown Rd in Bmore for a while,

Baltimore and Washington are more connected and tied to each other than Philadelphia and NY are. So it's not as simple as your explanation of "all four function independently". Baltimore-DC is a "market" made up of two separate "markets".

"I've given and honest opinion and fact based statement about Baltimore having its advantages being in the same CSA as DC."

Should I keep going?
Again you've made my point, unfortunately someone like yourself can't fathom that someone can acknowledge DC and Baltimore CSA in once sentence, without being able to decipher if it's trying to "make themselves feel more important" or not. None of these quotes have anything to do with your premise, nor my question proposed. I see none of that. So you've failed here, carry on.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Now that's funny and where it gets sticky, even though I see DC/ B-more as one big Metropolis, when it comes down to particular city or someone may be from i view that totally different.. Both Cities are very distinct as far as City.. I think more of the blend or mix up is more in the Maryland suburbs which seem shared in some ways.. I always refer or call it the DC / Baltimore Area in general when referring to the area with people from there.. The ride on 95 can give that all out 1 huge metro feel but make no mistake about it, they are two different and large cities in their own right
Exactly, agreed with this and pretty much what I've stated time and time again on C-D, really can't even be disputed.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:46 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even before I moved here, I saw both metro areas as distinct. I do not consider DC/Baltimore to be one entity in the same way as the Bay Area or the NC Triangle and never have.
Wait how is the Bay Area one area yet DC and Baltimore not?

Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Again you've made my point, unfortunately someone like yourself can't fathom that someone can acknowledge DC and Baltimore CSA in once sentence, without being able to decipher if it's trying to "make themselves feel more important" or not. None of these quotes have anything to do with your premise, nor my question proposed. I see none of that. So you've failed here, carry on.
I have so many more to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.