Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 PM

92 posts, read 128,108 times

Advertisements

Manilus is certainly an option. Thank you very much. I will have to check it out, I have a cousin in Syracuse I could maybe visit. I enjoyed the street view and other info. Thank you again

We have some research and discussion ahead of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:36 AM

130 posts, read 123,050 times
20 Things You Need to Know Before Moving

https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/mov...o-denver-2017/

Old 10-05-2017, 02:40 AM

130 posts, read 123,050 times
Denver suburb,

//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...se-needed.html

Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,611 times
If OP is still considering Fort Collins and on being a "medical professional that can get a job anywhere,"

FWIW, in my experience of working as a RN there is it is a highly sought after locale for healthcare workers in general (Not to big or small, good schools, mountains, ect). Not impossible to find a job but possibly more competitive than you think. I knew quite a few who were somewhat disenchanted or unpleasantly surprised with the choice of jobs after making the commitment to move there and were working below their skill level, had to take part time position when they wanted full time, ect. Some commuted (Greeley, Loveland, cheyenne, wyo or denver) to get the job they wanted. Granted that was 7 years ago that I left - the economy was pretty bad - I read on another forum that the job market for nurses (Not sure of your position) is improving but wages to COL is getting to be a problem. Also "at will employment" no unions that I knew of. It is a lovely town tho. GL in wherever you decide to go.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:42 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
I live in Minnesota and love it. I grew up in Florida. I hated living in Florida. I lived in Texas too, all over mostly west and north. I love Texas but its not somewhere I wanted to settle down for the rest of my life. Minnesota is much better in the nature department and we have 4 DISTINCT seasons. I haven't experienced winter up here yet but fall is phenomenal. You won't find colours like up here down in Florida. There's so many nature trails, some that long time natives and locals don't even know about! There's just that many! You like parks, there's some incredible ones. You can get lost in the woods while still being in city limits. Lake Minnetonka is also really close and beautiful. Here in the Twin Cities we are only a few hours from the beautiful forests of northern Minnesota, which I am dying to visit. Top notch fishing, hunting and camping up here. I'm looking forward to winter for all the outdoor activities, especially ice skating.

Really the Midwest itself is great especially if you're into all 4 seasons. This Friday I'm heading up to a pumpkin patch, maybe pick some apples too and go for a hayride. You really don't get to enjoy that stuff in Florida. I was deprived in my childhood lol.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
BadgerFilms' post reminded me that this is minutes from the Fayetteville-Manlius area to the east: Critz Farms ‹ Traditions Start Here

Same with these places along Route 20 to the south/SW: Beak & Skiff Apple Orchard

Fruit Orchard | Syracuse, NY - Burrell's Navarino Orchard

Oneill's Orchard

Home - Deer Run Farms

https://www.facebook.com/McLuskyOrchard/

A street view near where those orchards are located: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8921...7i13312!8i6656

There are others in the area as well. A couple of places for pumpkins: Home

Tim's Pumpkin Patch - Home

Also, hospitals in the area: https://www.sjhsyr.org/
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Upstate University Hospital Community Campus | SUNY Upstate Medical University
Upstate Golisano Children's Hospital | SUNY Upstate Medical University
https://www.crouse.org/
https://www.syracuse.va.gov/ (I've heard that it is one of the best VA hospitals in the country)

Also, if you like skiing, these ski areas are also within minutes: https://www.skicny.com/
https://www.skitog.com/
Greek Peak Mountain Resort
Cazenovia Ski Club – For real skiers.
Camillus Winter Sports Association - Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-09-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
My wife and I are both medical professionals and can move anywhere. We have 2 athletic daughters and another baby on the way. We are done with oppressive heat and humidity in Fl.

We have looked at Minnesota which has everything we want, but we are concerned about length of winter. We still may end up in Mn, but I am looking at other options

We love the west coast, but we want to live in a nice, new house, and cant spend 800k on that in the west....our budget is 500-600k for housing, which seems to be a piece of crap house in boulder or further west.

We would like a newer or master plannned community, in a place with all 4 seasons, lots of parks, trails, and out door opportunities(whatever they may be), and not in Southeast United States

Any suggestions.....
Salt Lake City. Great opportunities for medical professionals. (See Intermountain Medical Center, the University of Utah Medical Center, and Primary Children's Hospital among others.) Incredible natural beauty and a variety of outdoor recreational activities all four seasons of the year (hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, etc.). $600K for a house in this area should get you something you wouldn't consider "crap." Plus we are just 4 1/2 hours away from five of the most incredible national parks in the country (only 2 states have more). The three best known are Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Arches. In addition, Salt Lake City International Airport is Delta's western hub and is a short 30-minute drive from almost every neighborhood in the Salt Lake Valley.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:40 PM

92 posts, read 128,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I live in Minnesota and love it. I grew up in Florida. I hated living in Florida. I lived in Texas too, all over mostly west and north. I love Texas but its not somewhere I wanted to settle down for the rest of my life. Minnesota is much better in the nature department and we have 4 DISTINCT seasons. I haven't experienced winter up here yet but fall is phenomenal. You won't find colours like up here down in Florida. There's so many nature trails, some that long time natives and locals don't even know about! There's just that many! You like parks, there's some incredible ones. You can get lost in the woods while still being in city limits. Lake Minnetonka is also really close and beautiful. Here in the Twin Cities we are only a few hours from the beautiful forests of northern Minnesota, which I am dying to visit. Top notch fishing, hunting and camping up here. I'm looking forward to winter for all the outdoor activities, especially ice skating.

Really the Midwest itself is great especially if you're into all 4 seasons. This Friday I'm heading up to a pumpkin patch, maybe pick some apples too and go for a hayride. You really don't get to enjoy that stuff in Florida. I was deprived in my childhood lol.
BadgerFilms,
Every time I start researching a city, I am always drawn back to the MSP suburbs. I have also considered Tx. They have nice neighborhoods with schools in the neighborhood, and super inexpensive housing. For 500k you can get the nicest house you could ever want. But, you have to live in Tx, which may be a tough place for a liberal Internal Medicine Physician to live.

I have lived in Florida my entire life, except for a few years I did some training in Georgia. For some reason I am drawn to the Midwest.

Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon are all very nice, but I get more of a family feel when I have been to Mn. Plus, Minneapolis is rated the #1 place for runners.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
BadgerFilms,
Every time I start researching a city, I am always drawn back to the MSP suburbs. I have also considered Tx. They have nice neighborhoods with schools in the neighborhood, and super inexpensive housing. For 500k you can get the nicest house you could ever want. But, you have to live in Tx, which may be a tough place for a liberal Internal Medicine Physician to live.

I have lived in Florida my entire life, except for a few years I did some training in Georgia. For some reason I am drawn to the Midwest.

Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon are all very nice, but I get more of a family feel when I have been to Mn. Plus, Minneapolis is rated the #1 place for runners.
It looks like Edina and Wayzata are the top 2 programs in the state for girls cross country and are good school districts as well.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
I have also considered Tx. They have nice neighborhoods with schools in the neighborhood, and super inexpensive housing. For 500k you can get the nicest house you could ever want. But, you have to live in Tx, which may be a tough place for a liberal Internal Medicine Physician to live.
In Texas, your political persuasion will be less of a problem than fulfilling your desire for quality outdoor recreation. Texas has a dearth of public land (~93% of the state is privately owned). The best hiking is in the Big Bend region in the far southwestern corner of the state. Austin is the big outdoorsy city in the eastern half of the state, but with the lone exception of water activities, places like Denver, Colorado Springs, and the Twin Cities blow it away.

As far as DFW goes, I'd take Castlewood Canyon State Park south of Denver over damn near anything within 100 miles of the Metroplex - and it's not even the best hiking here.

Summers in the Texas Triangle are unpleasant. It won't be as humid as Florida, but depending on where you go it could be considerably hotter. You'll still be living in AC 24/7 for 3-4 months outta the year, and unless you're in a climate-controlled cabin or RV, camping is miserable from June-September (y'know, when the kids are outta school and you're most likely to do things together as a family).

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-10-2017 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.