Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 02:19 PM

482 posts, read 399,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Let's say if you either sold all your prized possessions or lost all of them and need to start completely fresh, without familial ties for any reason whatsoever, what city would you choose and why?
There's no other place in the states that makes me want to run away from my current city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
but main question, if someone had no ties, why would they then tie themselves down to a single city?
Good point. Maybe I'd take London as my primary city, but each year spend a season a piece in Tokyo and in Mexico City? This is all assuming supporting myself is not an obstacle.

When the young single nomads present their lives online, they always make it look so ... easy. Like well-paying jobs for Americans in foreign countries are readily available, or one can go abroad to other first world countries and still live luxuriously on like 10 bucks a day. Absolutely nothing has ever been that easy for me. But that's another story ...

All joking aside, I do believe London probably checks most of my boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 02:25 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
I would embark on a total adventure and move to Havana, Cuba. The city is amazing and I would love to be part of its renaissance.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
When the young single nomads present their lives online, they always make it look so ... easy. Like well-paying jobs for Americans in foreign countries are readily available, or one can go abroad to other first world countries and still live luxuriously on like 10 bucks a day. Absolutely nothing has ever been that easy for me. But that's another story ...

All joking aside, I do believe London probably checks most of my boxes.
Maybe it's the job or something, but if I choose to do a travel contract, they provide housing/transportation/food allowances, so I can move near anywhere in country and travel around 13 weeks at a time

if I go internationally, I just give myself some time between contracts

that's my idea of how people could travel without bring rich or having a work from internet job

Old 10-21-2017, 03:24 PM

496 posts, read 411,866 times
I would move to Tucson, AZ. I love the beautiful scenery, the sun, the funky/retro laid back feel of the city. I love the smell of the desert after it rains and amazing beauty of the night sky. I love the food, Bookman's, the swap meet , the murals, and I love that I feel good there, my anxiety and depression are almost non existent.

If I got tired of Tucson I would move on to Las Cruces, NM and use that as a base to explore New Mexico. I would not leave the southwest.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 PM

292 posts, read 245,151 times
Geneva Switzerland, no doubt about it. I had the chance to live there for two years. I enjoyed it and might get to return shortly for business.

I do not think that I would relocate to a few of the larger cities in Europe right now, things are changing very quickly, and quite honestly not for the better. The final direction of those changes appears rather obvious, and several of the larger cities are taking a bit of a beating due to the refugee influx.

Hawaii would be nice, but healthcare is not a strong suit in the Hawaiian islands, so for any major surgery, just figure on heading back to the mainland. I am in my mid fifties, so have starting considering the quality of the medical care where I choose to reside.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:20 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
I would move to Tucson, AZ. I love the beautiful scenery, the sun, the funky/retro laid back feel of the city. I love the smell of the desert after it rains and amazing beauty of the night sky. I love the food, Bookman's, the swap meet , the murals, and I love that I feel good there, my anxiety and depression are almost non existent.

If I got tired of Tucson I would move on to Las Cruces, NM and use that as a base to explore New Mexico. I would not leave the southwest.
+1 on the bold.

One of those murals was painted without permission on my parents' commercial property one block off of 4th avenue, LOL. That was a few years back though.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
If money were no object, probably the Southern California coast. If under similar financial constraints, I'd either stay here in Chicago, or try Croatia.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 PM

375 posts, read 332,505 times
I'd move to Kodiak, AK with a small plane and a boat.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
I'm assuming this means no family and no friends, b/c if all my family ties were gone, I would think my friends would be even more important and I would be more likely to want to live where I had a lot of friends. So, assuming I am just completely starting over (and I could get a decent job), my current top two picks would be:

1. New Orleans. I've always loved the Big Easy. I've lived there before and would love to go back. It has its problems (crime, weather, heat), but it is a wonderful city full of beautiful architecture, delicious food, and a spirit unlike any other place I've been.

2. San Diego. A really pleasant city with great weather right on the beach, and far from pretty much everyone and everything that I know. Seems like a great place to start over if you can afford it.

But before I made my choice I would go visit Seattle. I think I would really like it, but I haven't had the pleasure of visiting so I don't know for sure.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Somewhere in the Hollywood Hills, near Griffith Park, overlooking the LA Basin and the Pacific. Or next to the water in downtown Charleston. Mainly just want water and city views, so whatever would give me that.

If talking anywhere in the world, I'd love to give New Zealand, Australia, or a tropical island a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.