Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 09:36 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The blooming flowers, and return of life in spring is so welcomed, unfortunately spring usually arrives late, and leaves early. The constant rain also gets old, see previous statement about snow.
That's actually a very good point about "four seasons" springs. Many living in those climates don't realize how much more solid springs are in the southern tier of the US, from California to the coastal SE US. More consistent sunshine and warmth that season, with none of that half-baked mess of frequent rain, freezes and snow as seen up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
That's actually a very good point about "four seasons" springs. Many living in those climates don't realize how much more solid springs are in the southern tier of the US, from California to the coastal SE US. More consistent sunshine and warmth that season, with none of that half-baked mess of frequent rain, freezes and snow as seen up north.
Maybe not in Cali, but a lot of parts of Texas can hit 90's in late April. That's too hot.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Maybe not in Cali, but a lot of parts of Texas can hit 90's in late April. That's too hot.
It's also very rare, especially in the eastern half of the state, which is where most people in Texas live.

Here are the average April highs in various cities in Texas in April - most in the 70s and a few in the low 80s, with the single exception of Laredo with an average high in April of 88.
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ture-april.php

That being said, I'd rather have 90s in April than snow in April. But hey, that's just me.

One time I was in Colorado in June and it snowed - c'mon, man. Have mercy! (This was in Colorado Springs.)

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-09-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 06:08 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
The four seasons are so overrated. People that say they love living in it have to, and/or don’t know anything else. In Southern California your in near perfect weather year round, yet just two hours from all four seasons. That’s the way to go, you can experience it, but then leave.

I did go to school in the Midwest so I know what it’s like living through them. The fall leaves are so beautiful, but then everything looks dead for five months. The cooler temperatures are a relief after summer, but unfortunately it gets too cold too quickly.

The first snowfall, and a white Christmas are awesome, but then you have live in that crap for months. Commuting is so much fun in snow, as is shopping, and every other day to day activities. Let’s not forget about the lack of sunshine, and bone chilling temperatures.

The blooming flowers, and return of life in spring is so welcomed, unfortunately spring usually arrives late, and leaves early. The constant rain also gets old, see previous statement about snow.

Summer, the season that’s suppose to be the nicest, is probaly the worst. The heat and humidity make it unbearable to be outdoors from late morning until the evening. Drive through neighborhoods and all you hear is AC running, very few kids outside getting exercise. Let’s not forget about the mosquitoes, you almost don’t want to go outside when you finally can at night.

I’ll take going surfing in the morning, then heading to my cabin to go skiing in the afternoon, watch the snowfall in the evening, and return home to sunshine and 70’s the next day. And while not as impressive, it’s still beautiful in the fall for the leaves.

Disagree. Hardcore disagreement from me. I spent the first 20 years of my life living in "tropical paradise" and it was horrible. Constant heat, humidity and no real cold. What they call cold I'd call cool or even warm.

In Texas I got a taste of the seasons but winter was too mild, and fall and spring too warm. But at least it beat South Florida. Now I live in the Upper Midwest and I just love this climate, especially winter. Its fantastic. The cold is great. You put on proper layers and its a piece of cake. The snow is beautiful and I can't imagine winter without it, now.

We don't get "constant rain" in Minnesota. This isn't Seattle. Constant sun is worse to me, anyway. I love the rain. If I lived in California, the dry desert like weather would depress me. I love a good sultry summer thunderstorm. Yea, you can "drive to the mountains and ocean" from LA, cool. But y'all can keep it. California is one of the least appealing states to me. Don't like the politics, I actually find the non-coastal scenery very ugly, don't like the vegetation or architecture, don't like the cost of living, the traffic or the smog, don't like "Hollywood" even though I'm a film student. All that appeals to me about California is the beach. Which aside from waves, the east coast does better anyway.

Also, I will add that while I might complain about humidity, I prefer it to dryness. I HATE dryness. I hate having to put on lotion. Its my only complaint about winter in the Midwest. Winter here is sunny, btw. Maybe not in OH but for sure in MN.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:59 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What midwestern city is this in reference to?
Does it really matter? What’s the difference bad and worse? For the record I was referring to south east Michigan.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Does it really matter? What’s the difference bad and worse? For the record I was referring to south east Michigan.
Well, yes, it matters. The four seasons don't roll out like that everywhere. The bolds are not true in every four season climate. The midwest, particularly the upper midwest, has a fairly harsh climate. The eastern states, particularly the mid-Atlantic states have shorter winters, longer springs and falls. The western states, by contrast, have lower humidity year round so hot summer days are a little more bearable.

Quote:
The four seasons are so overrated. People that say they love living in it have to, and/or don’t know anything else. In Southern California your in near perfect weather year round, yet just two hours from all four seasons. That’s the way to go, you can experience it, but then leave.

I did go to school in the Midwest so I know what it’s like living through them. The fall leaves are so beautiful, but then everything looks dead for five months. The cooler temperatures are a relief after summer, but unfortunately it gets too cold too quickly.

The first snowfall, and a white Christmas are awesome, but then you have live in that crap for months. Commuting is so much fun in snow, as is shopping, and every other day to day activities. Let’s not forget about the lack of sunshine, and bone chilling temperatures.

Summer, the season that’s suppose to be the nicest, is probaly the worst. The heat and humidity make it unbearable to be outdoors from late morning until the evening. Drive through neighborhoods and all you hear is AC running, very few kids outside getting exercise. Let’s not forget about the mosquitoes, you almost don’t want to go outside when you finally can at night.

I’ll take going surfing in the morning, then heading to my cabin to go skiing in the afternoon, watch the snowfall in the evening, and return home to sunshine and 70’s the next day. And while not as impressive, it’s still beautiful in the fall for the leaves.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:23 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Well, yes, it matters. The four seasons don't roll out like that everywhere. The bolds are not true in every four season climate. The midwest, particularly the upper midwest, has a fairly harsh climate. The eastern states, particularly the mid-Atlantic states have shorter winters, longer springs and falls. The western states, by contrast, have lower humidity year round so hot summer days are a little more bearable.
Cherry picking examples doesn’t work. The mid Atlantic states having shorter winters may be true for Virginia, but not NY. I’m very familiar with it, and it fits my description to a T. Now the western states are used against my summer statement, that’s fine, but you’re either gonna have a harsher winter, or you won’t have the “romanticized” white winter everyone thinks of with the four seasons.

You highlighted my statement about everything looking dead after the leaves fall, not sure where you were going with that? Either you have a majority of deciduous trees that gives you those wonderful fall colors, then looks dead for 5+ months, or you don’t, you can’t have it both ways. I will say Sacramento is a city I found that has a good balance, but it’s not exactly where you go to see “fall colors”.

I love the four seasons, I just prefer to visit. I’m writing this on a brisk spring morning here in the mountains. I’m looking at the daffodils, tulips, and dogwood trees that bloomed last month now give way to the roses, oak trees, and such. I also look forward to heading back to the beach later this afternoon. To each their own.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Spend the months of April through November in Central Florida and let's revisit that comment after a year or two.

Old 06-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Spend the months of April through November in Central Florida and let's revisit that comment after a year or two.
I've lived in Phoenix for 17 years now (originally from New York) and still don't miss seasons or cold; 4 seasons isn't for everyone. In fact the majority of the worlds population lives in the tropics and subtropics

Old 06-10-2018, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Cherry picking examples doesn’t work. The mid Atlantic states having shorter winters may be true for Virginia, but not NY. I’m very familiar with it, and it fits my description to a T. Now the western states are used against my summer statement, that’s fine, but you’re either gonna have a harsher winter, or you won’t have the “romanticized” white winter everyone thinks of with the four seasons.

You highlighted my statement about everything looking dead after the leaves fall, not sure where you were going with that? Either you have a majority of deciduous trees that gives you those wonderful fall colors, then looks dead for 5+ months, or you don’t, you can’t have it both ways. I will say Sacramento is a city I found that has a good balance, but it’s not exactly where you go to see “fall colors”.

I love the four seasons, I just prefer to visit. I’m writing this on a brisk spring morning here in the mountains. I’m looking at the daffodils, tulips, and dogwood trees that bloomed last month now give way to the roses, oak trees, and such. I also look forward to heading back to the beach later this afternoon. To each their own.
I'm not cherry picking. The winter in NYC is milder than that of Ann Arbor MI (a wild guess as to where you went to college).
https://weatherspark.com/y/16511/Ave...tes-Year-Round (Ann Arbor) Coldest January day High/Low-31/17 Cold season: Dec. 1-March 8
https://weatherspark.com/y/23912/Ave...tes-Year-Round
More mid-Atlantic cities: 39/28 Cold season: Dec. 3-March 12
Pittsburgh: https://weatherspark.com/y/19773/Ave...tes-Year-Round 37/23 Cold season: Dec. 2-March 3
Philadelphia: https://weatherspark.com/y/22721/Ave...tes-Year-Round
40/26, Dec. 2-March 7
Baltimore: https://weatherspark.com/y/21918/Ave...tes-Year-Round 43/30 (barely below freezing), Dec. 1-March 8.

AA is considerably colder than these mid-Atlantic cities. Length of winter similar for all, about 3 months, not 5.

Some people don't think everything looks dead after the leaves fall. I don't think there are any stats for when the last leaves fall off the trees. In Pittsburgh, where I grew up, it was generally around Halloween. Interestingly, in Champaign, IL, same latitude and in the midwest, it is often into November until the trees are bare (what trees there are there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.