Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 10:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

For your listening pleasure - enjoy the season!

https://youtu.be/BWSn0JFRiPI

https://youtu.be/xJOtaWyEzaI

https://youtu.be/Kr0tTbTbmVA

https://youtu.be/yG0oBPtyNb0

https://youtu.be/L5xafQXg1yI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:14 PM

Whew! Worked out quite a bit in the yard this evening - I planted about 30 plants and wow was I ever dirty and sweaty when all was said and done! But I think everything will do great.

Thank goodness for sprinkler systems and storms.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
11:30am. Sitting on a bench beneath a stand of Ponderosa Pine at 7000'. It's 81 degrees, but with the low humidity it feels like it's still in the 70s. Will be in the 70s almost all next week. Glorious.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,077,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I was out in this yesterday - actually earlier (6 ish) when it was even hotter. I was attending a BBQ and we had big tents and lots of shade and it felt great outside! Several of the people I was chatting with were talking about how they enjoy this level of heat - we weren't even breaking a sweat.
Careful, lack of sweating and confusion ("felt great outside") are signs of heat stroke.

Right now at 1pm in central Houston (East Montrose) it is 97 degrees with a heat index of 108. The low last night was a balmy 77 degrees with 89% relative humidity, and the 20 minute downpour this morning followed by partly sunny skies are keeping things pretty steamy. Best to keep the car out of the sun, as its temperature was up to 114 degrees when parked at work this week.

Only 92 more days until the average high temperature falls below 90! If Houston is "lucky" it may get a Tropical Storm that may keep temperatures "down" for a couple of days (rain with highs in the 80s) between now and October.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Careful, lack of sweating and confusion ("felt great outside") are signs of heat stroke.

Right now at 1pm in central Houston (East Montrose) it is 97 degrees with a heat index of 108. The low last night was a balmy 77 degrees with 89% relative humidity, and the 20 minute downpour this morning followed by partly sunny skies are keeping things pretty steamy. Best to keep the car out of the sun, as its temperature was up to 114 degrees when parked at work this week.

Only 92 more days until the average high temperature falls below 90! If Houston is "lucky" it may get a Tropical Storm that may keep temperatures "down" for a couple of days (rain with highs in the 80s) between now and October.
No worries - I don't have a lick of heat stroke. I am born and bred in the southern US and apparently have a high tolerance level for heat. I work out in my yard all year long and I love it.

I don't live anywhere near Houston by the way, and frankly I wouldn't. It's too sticky humid down there. If I was going to have to live in that area, I'd at least live in New Orleans which is where I'm from originally. But actually I wouldn't live there either. I prefer northeast Texas to southeast Texas or southern Louisiana. Or for that matter anywhere close to the Gulf of Mexico. Just my personal preference.

Right now in northeast Texas - at 1:40 in the afternoon - it's 91 degrees and the humidity is 48 percent. I love it. In fact, I just came in from being outside all morning long, working in the yard and then splashing around in the pool. Had to get all the yard work done because we are in for quite a bit of rain - and a drop in temps - over the next few days. Thankfully I got it all done!

Your opening line reminded me of a funny thing that happened when I was in high school. I went to Panama City, FL with some friends from Georgia and Michigan. Us Georgia folks were in our element - lots of heat, sun, and summertime hoopla at the beach. But within about 6 hours - in spite of sunscreen and lots of water - our Michigan friends, without exception (there were four of them) were hunkered down in their hotel rooms with heat exhaustion, sunburn, you name it. I felt sorry for them but we couldn't do much for them other than check on them from time to time. So we proceeded to have a great few days at the beach while they watched a lot of TV in their cool, dark hotel rooms.

For what it's worth, I'll update the thread when I get too hot for too long. So far so good! I'm sure there will be a stretch of 100 degree days - probably in July or August - when I'll be burning up - and I'll be sure to keep you posted. But then I'll just remember how much I love our mild winters and gorgeous springs when I feel that way. And of course, my husband and I nearly always go on vacation to some place like Maine in September, because by then we're tired of being hot - much like people from other regions vacation in warm spots when they're tired of being cold.

It's nice to have options!

Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I was out in this yesterday - actually earlier (6 ish) when it was even hotter. I was attending a BBQ and we had big tents and lots of shade and it felt great outside! Several of the people I was chatting with were talking about how they enjoy this level of heat - we weren't even breaking a sweat.

I have a nice tan and have lost weight this year, so I am enjoying wearing lots of summery clothes and sandals and showing some skin. I've really been enjoying water aerobics outside this summer too. It's my favorite workout! Can't wait to build that pool in our backyard - that's our project this winter - because as you know, we won't have to deal with snow and ice so the pool company can put the pool in this winter or early spring and it should be ready for us to jump into in April - sooner than that if we spring for the heater.

WOOHOOOO!!!!! Love me some summer!

https://youtu.be/BWSn0JFRiPI
I live close to an REI. They gotta lotta tents! Thanks for the tip

Old 06-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Heat index is 98 in Tyler right now, cold front must've moved in. I got a hat on though, so lots of shade.

BTW, what you don't want is a storm through Houston. Lots of mosquitos.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:

A deliciously cool 64° and cloudy at noon right now in San Diego, the sun barely trying to struggle through. It’s not supposed to hit 70° on the coast for several days. As someone who is extremely sensitive to heat as much as I like to visit “weather” for a while it is just much easier to just have 70° +/- 10° with morning clouds and afternoon sunshine year round to plan your life and enjoyment around.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
A deliciously cool 64° and cloudy at noon right now in San Diego, the sun barely trying to struggle through. It’s not supposed to hit 70° on the coast for several days. As someone who is extremely sensitive to heat as much as I like to visit “weather” for a while it is just much easier to just have 70° +/- 10° with morning clouds and afternoon sunshine year round to plan your life and enjoyment around.
Yep, trying to set up a transfer to California in a few years.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:41 PM

I was playing in the pool here at 9 this morning and needless to say there was no heater required. And no, the cool front has not rolled in yet - that is forecast for tomorrow evening. Tomorrow should be in the low 90s again - then we're in supposedly for several days in the 80s, with scattered showers and thunderstorms, which I love. Bring it on!

I don't know what an REI is by the way, Gaylord Focker. Are you talking about the outdoor recreation store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.