Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 06:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,096,575 times

Advertisements

Weather is pretty good right now. It's never hot when a hurricane is near. ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,392,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
Totally disagree, love the change of seasons!

I could never live somewhere where it's basically the same weather all year round. And Snow is a must, Winter without snow is not Winter!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:49 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Tman: I also live in (upstate) N.Y..

I detest winter. I last Mar 14th we had 35" of snow fall in less than 18 hours! All at once, fortunately, though, there was no snow left before it started. ANY one down south who wants that is more than welcome to fly up for the back breaking work of shovellingme out!! It was WAY TOO MUCH for even the snow blower.

Once our remaining 89 and 83 yo fathers pass, we get a pass to southern winter wonderland.

I'm sitting here sweating cause it was 66 today but will be 40 tonight. I hate heat in the night and a/c come mid day.
Stop over to the retirement forum, i have a post there called " what do you like about fall?. Because I hate that it represents cold weather is coming.....

It gets colder up here than in the city, a co-worker moved up from the city and is complaining about the cold already. I said wait til Feb when it's 5 degrees or below here, and often below zero at night. We used to keep the taps running to keep pipes from freezing. Then she'll really feel cold. She groaned an said I had to be kidding. I said no, I was not.
Anyone who has never had a winter can go stand in a walk in freezer to get the idea. Constantly for 6 months a jacket coat and even gloves hat and scarf are needed. In Feb frost bite is a reality, not just an idea. Keep everything covered as much as possible.

So they can cone and welcome winter all they want. I've had it with it.
Amen! So perfectly said. And for anyone who expects to drive in that cold weather, you get to first sweep the snow off the vehicle, then warm it up by running the heat and defroster inside, hoping it will work. Then, using an ice scraper to get the ice off that was under the snow...

Oh, and that's assuming you could even get into the vehicle in the first place, if the locks were frozen...

And, that you didn't fall down because of the ice and snow from the house to the vehicle. Which, of course, you also had to deal with. Scary when you're young, forgettaboutit when you're old.

And let's say you got through all of the above. Do you have decent snow tires? Do you have bags of kitty litter in the trunk in case you get stuck and it might help you get out? Do you know how to put on chains on your tires? In the snow? Ice? Sleet?

It's no joke. But, some people will keep the blinders on and move somewhere with these conditions anyway.

Oh, and just as an aside - if you still have kids in the school system - what do you do when the weather gets too bad for them to go to school, but you're still supposed to show up for work?

Lots to consider here.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:51 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times
I love it, but that's because I get bored of the same thing all the time.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:22 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,886,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Of course, most people like comfortable, non-humid days with cool nights, AKA "fall." Everyone loves fall! I've talked to several out-of-staters who ask how people can tolerate SoCal weather "because it's hot all the time." When I explain that yes, we do have a long hot, dry season, but it is followed by 5-6 months of what they might describe as "fall," and winter never arrives, sometimes the lightbulb goes on. Lots of people would like that!

Absolutely, it's all in what you like and can tolerate. As for winter, I like skiing, I like ice skating, and I like taking my kids up to play in the snow. But do I want to spend maybe 25% of my life living in and dealing with snow and ice, then no. I like living in a place where I can enjoy winter sports for a few days every year on my own schedule, and then go right back to no snow. Your mileage may vary.
Sorry, you're wrong. We did have winter last year. I recall it fell on a Tuesday.....at night. Unfortunately I was asleep at the time.

Otherwise, I'm with you. I lived in Ohio until I was 23 and scraped my windshield and shoveled snow in the winter. Y'all can have it. I picked my favorite season of the four and that's where I live. Endless summer baby.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 AM

376 posts, read 328,456 times
I personally think that weather is overrated.

Whenever I lived in a place for longer than a year, I found myself hating the weather, sometimes for ridiculous reasons. I lived in places with 4 seasons, 1 season, and everything inbetween.

It's much better to have your 'homes' in several locations and go between them when you want weather change. There is nothing more refreshing than snow or chilly air after you spend some months in the tropics.

If I had to live in one place with their weather again it would be someplace moderate like Southern California. Added bonus is mountains are nearby. When I lived in Southern California I did not much like the weather which goes back to my first point. But it's the best option for a permanent location.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Amen! So perfectly said. And for anyone who expects to drive in that cold weather, you get to first sweep the snow off the vehicle, then warm it up by running the heat and defroster inside, hoping it will work. Then, using an ice scraper to get the ice off that was under the snow...

Oh, and that's assuming you could even get into the vehicle in the first place, if the locks were frozen...

And, that you didn't fall down because of the ice and snow from the house to the vehicle. Which, of course, you also had to deal with. Scary when you're young, forgettaboutit when you're old.

And let's say you got through all of the above. Do you have decent snow tires? Do you have bags of kitty litter in the trunk in case you get stuck and it might help you get out? Do you know how to put on chains on your tires? In the snow? Ice? Sleet?

It's no joke. But, some people will keep the blinders on and move somewhere with these conditions anyway.

Oh, and just as an aside - if you still have kids in the school system - what do you do when the weather gets too bad for them to go to school, but you're still supposed to show up for work?

Lots to consider here.
As a person that lives in an area that gets a lot of snow, I have never had to use chains on my tires and many times when brushing off the car, it is usually fluffy snow. Lake Effect snow generally isn’t heavy and it doesn’t necessarily have to be icy when it snows.

Also, places with a lot of snow have snowplows that usually clears snow in a timely manner. You may have an hour or 2 hour delay for schools and districts have a certain amount of snow days. Many times, they aren’t completely used. If you have to, you can take the day off, as reports go out early in the morning based off weather reports that go out from the previous night.

What people may not realize is that areas that get snow, are generally prepared for it with proper infrastructure in order to clear it.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,439,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
As a person that lives in an area that gets a lot of snow, I have never had to use chains on my tires and many times when brushing off the car, it is usually fluffy snow. Lake Effect snow generally isn’t heavy and it doesn’t necessarily have to be icy when it snows.

Also, places with a lot of snow have snowplows that usually clears snow in a timely manner. You may have an hour or 2 hour delay for schools and districts have a certain amount of snow days. Many times, they aren’t completely used. If you have to, you can take the day off, as reports go out early in the morning based off weather reports that go out from the previous night.

What people may not realize is that areas that get snow, are generally prepared for it with proper infrastructure in order to clear it.
You didn't have to use chains, because they are prohibited in New York State. Only the western 11 states even allow tire chains to be used, with mandatory usage in the mountains of Colorado and California during inclement weather

Old 10-08-2017, 11:16 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Seasons are good.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You didn't have to use chains, because they are prohibited in New York State. Only the western 11 states even allow tire chains to be used, with mandatory usage in the mountains of Colorado and California during inclement weather
Plus, I just never have had to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.