Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

LOL I have two sets of loved ones in Ohio - my daughter and her family, and my brother and his wife. My daughter and her family have been there temporarily, with the Air Force. She thinks the snow is lovely, taking pictures of it, fighting over whether she or her husband shovels the snow off the driveway and walkway, etc. But of course, they're leaving in a month, and have been there for less than three years.

My brother and his wife have been there for 20 years. Just got a text message from them saying how sick to death they are of it, and it's only been on the ground for a day. Of course, they realize that they are in for it through March, and maybe even April. Year after year. The novelty has definitely worn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Deep down, some people are just snow wimps.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:36 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The roads were in better shape today and I was driving around to do various things. There is nothing compared to the beauty of driving through a wooded area with literally everything covered in glistening, white snow. It looks like a fairy tale land.
snow tires, all wheel drive, and keep your wits about you. Of course, I worry about other drivers, not me./

Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
This is what January is supposed to look like, in my book.
If it ever looked like that here, it would literally mean the world is ending, so no thank you....

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Deep down, some people are just snow wimps.
it really isn't their fault, or anything like that

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, thank you. But thank God it never looks like that here.

It's in the 40s today and gray and overcast (pretty much like January is "supposed" to be in my book), and I don't even want to go outside. Thank goodness for a nice warm house, a fire in the fireplace tonight when it dips down into the 30s, and a nice cup of hot tea. And thank goodness that next month I'll be outside cleaning out my flower beds and planning what flowers to plant in March.

Yea, God forbid it ever looks pretty for once during winter in Texas

Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
This is what January is supposed to look like, in my book.

So jealous right now. This winter has sucked so far. There's nothing to do outside except maybe go on the ice, but even then the weather's been too unstable that the ice isn't reliably thick as it usually is this time of year. There's no skiing nor sledding nor snow tubing. Any "snow" leftover is hard icy refrozen slush. Useless weather. And its gonna get cold soon. Below zero. With no snow. That's gotta be hard on the plants. People are often ignorant to how beneficial snow is for climates that experience true changes of seasons.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:50 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
So jealous right now. This winter has sucked so far. There's nothing to do outside except maybe go on the ice, but even then the weather's been too unstable that the ice isn't reliably thick as it usually is this time of year. There's no skiing nor sledding nor snow tubing. Any "snow" leftover is hard icy refrozen slush. Useless weather. And its gonna get cold soon. Below zero. With no snow. That's gotta be hard on the plants. People are often ignorant to how beneficial snow is for climates that experience true changes of seasons.
And if that weren't enough, we're expecting another blizzard Friday night-Saturday, with another 5-6 inches, or maybe more.

Looks like Missouri is getting all the snow the upper Midwest usually gets. Last storm St Louis really got hammered. And a few days after Thanksgiving we got 6-7 inches.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea, God forbid it ever looks pretty for once during winter in Texas
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I actually like the gray, overcast, chilly days of January in Texas since they are an anomaly. I mean, we just lost the last of the leaves a few weeks ago and now the trees are bare against a cloudy sky and I like it. But I only like it for a few weeks so thankfully that's all I have to "put up with."

Today is chilly and this weekend it's supposed to get down into the 20s and be very windy, but yesterday morning I sat out on my back patio in a warm robe and drank coffee and listened to birds singing while the sun shined down on me. Nice! I liked looking across the peaceful back yard and watching the birds flutter among the bare black branches silhouetted against a blue sky. I don't know - maybe it's just me but I thought that was really pretty. In Texas. In the winter.

I was looking back on memories from a year ago and we had a big ice storm here this time last year. Well, big for us, probably nothing for people further north. You know what my favorite part of that storm was? That I could get some cool pictures - and then it melted and the sun came out, within a day or two! Win win!

Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I actually like the gray, overcast, chilly days of January in Texas since they are an anomaly. I mean, we just lost the last of the leaves a few weeks ago and now the trees are bare against a cloudy sky and I like it. But I only like it for a few weeks so thankfully that's all I have to "put up with."

Today is chilly and this weekend it's supposed to get down into the 20s and be very windy, but yesterday morning I sat out on my back patio in a warm robe and drank coffee and listened to birds singing while the sun shined down on me. Nice! I liked looking across the peaceful back yard and watching the birds flutter among the bare black branches silhouetted against a blue sky. I don't know - maybe it's just me but I thought that was really pretty. In Texas. In the winter.

I was looking back on memories from a year ago and we had a big ice storm here this time last year. Well, big for us, probably nothing for people further north. You know what my favorite part of that storm was? That I could get some cool pictures - and then it melted and the sun came out, within a day or two! Win win!
I love grey skies, hence I'm considering Seattle. Sun gets on my nerves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.