Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 01:02 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Looking up the climate there, it is freezing cold in the Winter but it is on the 43rd parallel so the sun is still relatively strong and it states clear sunny days are fairly frequent in Winter.

I can tell you the sun can make all the difference--even when temperatures are freezing if the sun is out it can be beautiful.

All I know is that it is 60 and �� sunny right now in Philly, and I'M LOVING IT! LOL
Yes. But the person complaining about the cold said he was miserable b/c he couldn't go outside. That's HIM. In Chicago. Chicago is lively and people are doing things all the time. If he can't find his own fun in a city of that size, that's his problem … not the fault of the weather or the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 01:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Have fun with that.
Oh I am, believe me. I love living in the south.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh I am, believe me. I love living in the south.
Great.

Not my cup of tea, but glad you enjoy it.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Great.

Not my cup of tea, but glad you enjoy it.
Thanks - it's exactly my cup of tea! I hope you love living wherever you live as much as I love living here! Everybody wins!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:38 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Got another 4 inches of snow today, with another 2-4" coming tomorrow night and then another storm on Tuesday-ish.

One nice thing to do when you live in snow-land is to put out bird feeders and watch all the birdies in the snow. There are few things prettier than cardinals in the snow. At one point this afternoon I had 5 male cardinals in the snow at my feeders.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Got another 4 inches of snow today, with another 2-4" coming tomorrow night and then another storm on Tuesday-ish.

One nice thing to do when you live in snow-land is to put out bird feeders and watch all the birdies in the snow. There are few things prettier than cardinals in the snow. At one point this afternoon I had 5 male cardinals in the snow at my feeders.
Also love driving by a park that is as flat as a laptop screen. Not a single footstep. It's also incredibly peaceful.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 AM

It's 20 degrees colder here today than it was yesterday so we're definitely in that spring swing time of the year. Trees are budding but I am pretty sure we're in for at least one more freeze, and possibly even some ice or sleet, before spring is truly here.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I'm living in a town about 40 degree north this year. Furthest north I've ever lived. It sucks. Haven't been able to do anything outside since Thanksgiving.

Have probably another month of this weather left.

Its wholly depressing and awful. Weather is frequently 20 degrees warmer 3 hours south of here.

You lack imagination. Plenty of stuff to do in the winter. I went out walking on a frozen lake today, and discovered this beautiful structure.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I never understood this about people in the suburbs. You leave your heated house to get into your car which will have the heat blasting and you drive to the store/restaurant you're going to which will be heated once you get inside. Why do people insist on throwing on 3 layers, a hat, a scarf and gloves when they're only outside for a maximum of 2 minutes while walking into the establishment? Also, why do people drive their car while wearing all those layers at once? You know the car has heat, right?

In NYC, most of my friends and I don't layer. We wear one heavy-ish coat. The walk to the subway might be cold, but the station will be at least somewhat warm. The train will be warm. The walk to wherever might be cold. But then when we get to the bar/restaurant, we don't have to take off 7 things and watch out for them the entire night. Why do suburban people insist on wearing more layers than some New Yorkers when we're exposed to the cold even longer since we actually walk places? I wear T-shirts under most of my winter coats because I know when I get inside, the heat will be cranking. A lot of my friends do the same.

You realise cars can break down or you can get in accident, and heaters may not work or take a while to kick in? And you don't know what everyone's daily routine is gonna be like. For all you know they may be spending a lot more time outside than you'd think.

Other than that, its always advisable to keep winter survival stuff in your car in case emergencies.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
How long have you lived in NYC? Seeing you’ve lived your whole life in California a lot of this is just new to you, hence why you’re enjoying so much at this time. Not everyone, but most that grew up in Southern California and left eventually want to make their way back if they can. Maybe it isn’t the case as much for LA, as I can only speak to San Diego.

I too liked the change of seasons and everything they entailed when I went to school in Michigan, it was a factor in leaving San Diego. I will say as time wore on and I knew I still a couple of years to go things changed a bit. The novelty seemed to wear off and I missed being outside in nice weather year round. Whether it was watching my friend on tv at USC along with the Chargers in late fall and seeing everyone in T-shirt’s, or taking trips home and to Hawaii in the winter, I knew I had to get back.

All my friends, and many more I’ve met, that have left for school, work, or love, all came back, or would if their circumstances were different. Like I said it may be different for you, and I genuinely hope it is as you really seem to have found your place. All I want is for people to be happy in life, but a lot of this can be chalked up to being new and different, and don’t be too surprised if you change your mind down the road.

Not everyone is infatuated with California, dude. For starters, NYC is a tiny kitten compared to the lion that is a Michigan winter, so they're hardly comparable. Secondly, "nice weather" is subjective. Nice to me is whatever goes with the season. I own some pretty nice jackets and sweaters. I go out in the teens and barely feel the cold. I think this guy would be fine.

I lived in Florida and never for the life of me would I return down there. Every day in the forecast this week in Miami is in the 80s. I'd slit my wrists if I had to deal with that crap again. 80s in winter? You'll never see 20s in summer here. And that would be like the inverse.

Then there's the matter of culture. Not everyone can tolerate the California lifestyle. The yuppies and hipsters in Minneapolis are bad enough, but they're like 100x worse in the West Coast. I feel the same way about Portland. Beautiful scenery, but the gluten-free sea of irony and thick rimmed glasses? Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.