Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Summer is overrated.. its too damn hot.
Right - this is my least favorite month of the year in my least favorite season. I am really looking forward to fall!

We are having what is a pretty typical "heat wave" here in Texas - typical for this time of year, with temps around 100. But you know what - I am not complaining REALLY because this year, like last year, has been pretty easy going on us. A few years ago, WOW it was hot and dry, for such a long time, and it hasn't been as hot or as dry this year (or last year).

But I love fall so BRING IT ON! I am always ready for it in August but we don't get it till October - LOL. Here September, while not as soul crushing as August, is still pretty toasty. But the mornings and evenings do start getting cooler so that's nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
I live in CT so basically same weather as the OP. I agree completely. The problem is the seasons people rave about---spring and fall---are by far the shortest seasons. Spring is maybe April and May if we're lucky but often it still feels winterlike in early April and can feel summerlike by Memorial Day.

Fall? Don't get me started. It's not a season, it's more like a month: October. More and more humid weather stretches well into September so it feels anything but fall like. And last year even by mid October the temperatures plummeted and began to feel more like winter.

In the northeast if we're honest with ourselves, we mostly just have two seasons: summer and winter. And winter is the longer of the two.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM

340 posts, read 266,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I live in CT so basically same weather as the OP. I agree completely. The problem is the seasons people rave about---spring and fall---are by far the shortest seasons. Spring is maybe April and May if we're lucky but often it still feels winterlike in early April and can feel summerlike by Memorial Day.

Fall? Don't get me started. It's not a season, it's more like a month: October. More and more humid weather stretches well into September so it feels anything but fall like. And last year even by mid October the temperatures plummeted and began to feel more like winter.

In the northeast if we're honest with ourselves, we mostly just have two seasons: summer and winter. And winter is the longer of the two.
I'm from Texas, and it's definitely been staying hot longer.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:37 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Maybe it’s being brought up in California, but I’m mystified by folks who love the change of seasons. Fall is pretty, but doesn’t make a lasting impression. Spring is nice here in the South, but is just a fleeting reminder that summer is next.

Bring on that Mediterranean climate.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - this is my least favorite month of the year in my least favorite season. I am really looking forward to fall!

We are having what is a pretty typical "heat wave" here in Texas - typical for this time of year, with temps around 100. But you know what - I am not complaining REALLY because this year, like last year, has been pretty easy going on us. A few years ago, WOW it was hot and dry, for such a long time, and it hasn't been as hot or as dry this year (or last year).

But I love fall so BRING IT ON! I am always ready for it in August but we don't get it till October - LOL. Here September, while not as soul crushing as August, is still pretty toasty. But the mornings and evenings do start getting cooler so that's nice.
Oh yeah I remember a few years back. I was actually in Phoenix for a week when the temperatures topped 123 degrees. It was brutal. The coolest day was 116. And I can imagine TX has weather similar to that feels like.... with the humidity included in. (115 with no humidity supposively felt like 100)

Old 08-14-2019, 02:10 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Maybe it’s being brought up in California, but I’m mystified by folks who love the change of seasons. Fall is pretty, but doesn’t make a lasting impression. Spring is nice here in the South, but is just a fleeting reminder that summer is next.

Bring on that Mediterranean climate.
There's a palpable excitement in the air in Denver when you know a storm is coming.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:13 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There's a palpable excitement in the air in Denver when you know a storm is coming.
Hey, fair enough. I do like a nice thunderstorm.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:17 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Hey, fair enough. I do like a nice thunderstorm.
And while I generally hate driving in snow, watching the snow fall, whether with a bourbon neat in your hand or while walking your dog and hoping he'll run away while you're distracted by the snow is priceless.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Oh yeah I remember a few years back. I was actually in Phoenix for a week when the temperatures topped 123 degrees. It was brutal. The coolest day was 116. And I can imagine TX has weather similar to that feels like.... with the humidity included in. (115 with no humidity supposively felt like 100)
Well, not quite THAT bad where I live but dang it, it's been hot. We had a "cold front" come in and the highs today were in the low 90s, with a heat index of "only" about 100 so we caught a break - LOL!

We've had mostly cloudy conditions today, thank goodness. It should only "feel like" 101 at the height tomorrow.

Let's just say that I'm ready for September, when the highs drop down into the 80s and even the 70s and the lows are usually in the low 70s or 60s! ONE MORE MONTH.

I actually really love fall weather here but it's not like it shows up in September. October is touch and go.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:03 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post

Not really. I ski. It’s usually top to bottom before Thanksgiving. Spring skiing usually starts around St Patrick’s Day and runs into May. The beach opens and the sailboat launches before Memorial Day. We usually travel in early May and October. This year, May was Italy. October is Porto and Galicia. Late-October to Thanksgiving is pretty useless. White ribbon of death at the ski area. Too cold for ocean. It gets dark early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.