Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Well, here we are the end of October and we have had record high temps this past week. We will reach 88 degrees today. We had two nicer days in September where the humidity was down and the temps were bearable but that was only to tease us. By this time of year I am so over the summer and want some cooler weather where I can actually open the windows at night. My a/c has been running 24/7 since May. If my whole family wasn't here I would really consider moving to Tallahassee. They have shorter summers and they actually get four seasons. Tallahassee is more like southern Georgia than it is Florida. Thomasville, GA is only about 30 minutes away if I recall correctly.

Is there something about your family specifically that's keeping you there? Or do you just wanna stay where family is? I love my family but I am perfectly fine with them being in Florida and me in Minnesota. It does suck that I miss out on a lot of baby showers and birthday parties etc. but I'd rather much live where I love, even without family nearby. Now, if relatives wanted to move up here, I would be ecstatic. But I am fine with one or two visits a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I've experienced them all my life, if I never saw another brown/yellow/purple/whatever leaf again in my life I'd not think of it as a loss of any sort. Leaves are meant to be green, those colors are a sign of decay and death.

Let's not ignore the ugliness of the mush they create on the ground together with mud which can be as slippery as ice.

I've always been convinced that all the lore around fall colors - just like Christmas - is just a way for people stuck in such climates to get *some* positives from an otherwise lamentable season. It's a coping mechanism. Lipstick on a pig. Now I don't begrudge anyone the desire to get something good out of all times of the year, but the notion that it's somehow a *preferable* thing is downright laughable.

What a very condescending post. Also, ignorant. Apparently you don't know what carotenoids and chlorophyll are lol.

A lot of us actually LOVE and appreciate the colder seasons? Why do you think that after 18 years of living in Florida, I ended up all the way in Minnesota? Because I'm a Vikings fan???

Growing up my least favourite months were always August and September. I never have disliked the cold season and any time in Florida we got under 60 degrees I was in a good mood.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Meanwhile back in SW Florida, Halloween will have a high temp of 90 and a low temp of 75. Add the humidity and it will not be comfortable for those wearing heavy costumes.

As someone else said - seasons break up the monotony and, for me, it helps me pinpoint a time when something occurred "well, there was snow on the ground so it must have happened during the winter", or "all the leaves had turned so it must have been autumn". We don't have those references here in Florida. It's the same all the time. Yes we may get a cold day once in awhile but the scenery never changes. We don't get the autumn leaves changing and we don't get the first spring blossoms because things bloom here all the time. I had a friend who lived in Hawaii and even she said it got monotonous after being there 4 years.

Agree 100% and I been saying this for a while. I have a lot of vivid childhood memories, but it's hard to tell what time of the year they occurred. The only real clue you have growing up in Florida, is school, holidays, birthdays and the off cold front which obviously didn't happen in July! When I was younger, I enjoyed December more than October, cuz I was more into Christmas than Halloween. But December was when we finally got those chilly nights. I loved those cool crisp nights when you could see your breath. Back then, I considered that cold cuz it was as cold as I knew. Here, it's early autumn weather lol.

I'm a little upset that I don't have childhood memories of snow days. I saw snow for the first time at age 15, but I felt like I was 5 cuz I had never seen it before. I never had a white Christmas til I was 23. We were lucky to have Christmas get cold enough to even see your breath. Cold/cool Halloween? Forget about it. Easter wasn't too bad, cuz Easter can be warm even up here, but anything past the September holidays was usually too hot. Thanksgiving was okay. The last few years down in Florida, I had cooler Thanksgivings than Christmas. Though when I flew down to visit in 2017 it was hot as hell. I do remember Thanksgiving 2004 we spent it in north Florida and I remember it being rather chilly and there were pecans everywhere!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:29 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Is there something about your family specifically that's keeping you there? Or do you just wanna stay where family is? I love my family but I am perfectly fine with them being in Florida and me in Minnesota. It does suck that I miss out on a lot of baby showers and birthday parties etc. but I'd rather much live where I love, even without family nearby. Now, if relatives wanted to move up here, I would be ecstatic. But I am fine with one or two visits a year.
Many reasons I am staying here: I'm 64, widowed 9 years ago, have had cancer twice since my husband died so I feel the need to stay close to my family. Plus my beloved only grandchild is here and she can't be moved away because of the custody agreement. My only sister and I are very close and she's 30-45 minutes away. I also own my house and I haven't been in it long enough to make enough of a profit to help me move. So I tolerate the long, hot summers as best I can but come this time of year I have had enough and want some cooler weather so I can open my windows and get some fresh air.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I love the changing seasons and would really miss them if I didn't get to experience them. To clarify though - I don't have to have 4 "evenly spaced" seasons, and I do not want much ice or snow. A little is OK though.

What I DO want is fall leaves and crisp days! And I also love sunny spring days - those are very important to me too. Summers here in NE Texas are too long to me but overall I'm very pleased.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:21 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Many reasons I am staying here: I'm 64, widowed 9 years ago, have had cancer twice since my husband died so I feel the need to stay close to my family. Plus my beloved only grandchild is here and she can't be moved away because of the custody agreement. My only sister and I are very close and she's 30-45 minutes away. I also own my house and I haven't been in it long enough to make enough of a profit to help me move. So I tolerate the long, hot summers as best I can but come this time of year I have had enough and want some cooler weather so I can open my windows and get some fresh air.
First of all, I hope you're doing well. This post broke my heart. Second, I'm right there with you. I don't mind heat, just not into OCtober.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:33 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What a very condescending post. Also, ignorant. Apparently you don't know what carotenoids and chlorophyll are lol.

A lot of us actually LOVE and appreciate the colder seasons? Why do you think that after 18 years of living in Florida, I ended up all the way in Minnesota? Because I'm a Vikings fan???

Growing up my least favourite months were always August and September. I never have disliked the cold season and any time in Florida we got under 60 degrees I was in a good mood.
That doesnt change the fact that the leaves changing colors is part of the trees’ process of shutting down for the winter more or less. It therefore is linked to the proverbial death of nature in winter. Theres a reason we see youth as linked to spring and old age linked to autumn.

Your personal love of winter is understood and acknowledged. However I am aware that on the internet you encounter all sorts of things that may appear daft or highly irregular.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:11 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I'm fine with the mildly changing seasons of Southern California, don't feel a need for cold and snow, and love having extended periods in the 60s and 70s. The only part of the climate I truly dislike is when it's still hot and dry through October and into November...which it looks like it will be, this year. I'm ready for a change to cool weather and rain by now. But it's not like this every year.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That doesnt change the fact that the leaves changing colors is part of the trees’ process of shutting down for the winter more or less. It therefore is linked to the proverbial death of nature in winter. Theres a reason we see youth as linked to spring and old age linked to autumn.

Your personal love of winter is understood and acknowledged. However I am aware that on the internet you encounter all sorts of things that may appear daft or highly irregular.
I get it. But that sets up a beautiful rebirth right?

Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, Halloween Day and night are supposed to be really chilly here. Brrrr! It's also supposed to be windy with winds out of the north. Poor trick or treaters! LOL I'll just be handing out candy from inside my house.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...17aaf6ef77ba3f
It was 8 degrees when I woke up this morning. I'd be thrilled with those temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.