Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 08:36 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Or maybe not everyone thinks Florida has a greater quality of life than Maine.
No, you're right - not everyone does.

But Florida is growing at a faster pace than Maine - MUCH faster. So maybe that's not the best comparison to make.

Don't get me wrong, I think Maine is beautiful - for part of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 09:26 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

But Florida is growing at a faster pace than Maine - MUCH faster. So maybe that's not the best comparison to make.

Who cares? ST George is growing faster than NYC. I don't think that means it's better.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:51 AM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:

Florida does not have a higher QOL than Maine. lol. Living in Florida is absolutely atrocious. I prefer a coastal Maine winter over a Florida summer anyday... and this is coming from someone who lived in both New England and the hottest part of FL. Maine can be enjoyed April to November. Florida cannot be enjoyed May to October because of repressive heat and humidity.

Florida may be growing faster, but its not adding the right jobs. Its like saying Texas is better than Washington just because its growing faster, when that couldnt be further from the truth. Same with FL and ME

Old 01-05-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Florida does not have a higher QOL than Maine. lol. Living in Florida is absolutely atrocious. I prefer a coastal Maine winter over a Florida summer anyday... and this is coming from someone who lived in both New England and the hottest part of FL. Maine can be enjoyed April to November. Florida cannot be enjoyed May to October because of repressive heat and humidity.

Florida may be growing faster, but its not adding the right jobs. Its like saying Texas is better than Washington just because its growing faster, when that couldnt be further from the truth. Same with FL and ME
Who said anything about "better?" That's a totally subjective term anyway. The warmer states are "better" for some people and not for others. But let's not pretend that people only move to warmer states because of the cost of living, because that simply isn't true. And by the way, I enjoy visiting Florida beaches between May and October just for the record, and apparently I'm not alone in that regard since that's peak tourist season in Florida.

The last time I was in Maine was in September - and it was already below freezing every morning. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, but hey, that's just me.

Personally I prefer heat over cold, and so do lots and lots of other people, but that doesn't mean we're smarter or better than people who don't - it's just a PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

I've lived all over the world, in all different sorts of climates. I prefer warmer weather than Maine offers. I prefer sunnier days than Washington offers. So to me, Texas - and Florida for that matter - are preferable. So what? You do you and I'll do me and we'll all be happy! Thank goodness the United States is a huge country with lots of options.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Who said anything about "better?" That's a totally subjective term anyway. The warmer states are "better" for some people and not for others. But let's not pretend that people only move to warmer states because of the cost of living, because that simply isn't true. And by the way, I enjoy visiting Florida beaches between May and October just for the record, and apparently I'm not alone in that regard since that's peak tourist season in Florida.

The last time I was in Maine was in September - and it was already below freezing every morning. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there, but hey, that's just me.

Personally I prefer heat over cold, and so do lots and lots of other people, but that doesn't mean we're smarter or better than people who don't - it's just a PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

I've lived all over the world, in all different sorts of climates. I prefer warmer weather than Maine offers. I prefer sunnier days than Washington offers. So to me, Texas - and Florida for that matter - are preferable. So what? You do you and I'll do me and we'll all be happy! Thank goodness the United States is a huge country with lots of options.
Good post.

Again, it's not as though the Southern states don't have a change of seasons. Maybe South Florida doesn't, but most of the South does. Just because the thermometer doesn't read 10°F (or -12°C) and just because the sky is blue and the sun is shining doesn't mean the weather conditions don't qualify as "winter."

Today in Nashville, temps are in the low 50s, and the sun is brilliant. I'm going out for a good, long walk to enjoy this winter day!

Old 01-05-2020, 12:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I moved to Minnesota from the south, and the winter is a big draw. Most people don't wanna move to North Dakota cuz North Dakota sucks. You also don't see people flocking to Oklahoma, which is basically North Dakota but southern. And there's certain demographics that move to Arizona and Florida, and that demographic will die out in a few decades. There's far less appeal to those states for people born after 1969. 99% of the millennials I meet in Minnesota think of Florida in a generally negative light. Even the ones that hate cold weather, don't wanna live there lol. Baby Boomers ruined Florida and Arizona by turning those states into huge strip malls since the 1970s.
What is it about the year 1969 that apparently makes such a difference? I'm a GenXer born in '66 and I mostly agree with your assessment of Florida and Arizona (though I'd take Florida over Arizona in a heartbeat).

Minnesota's a really nice state, and one I think I could easily live in from April-October. There are things I miss about the North, but the winters certainly aren't a draw for this born-and-bred Canadian. Fortunately, there IS middle ground, literally and figuratively, between Minnesota and Florida.

I'd like to hear you say the same thing after 40+ years of those winters!

Old 01-05-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Good post.

Again, it's not as though the Southern states don't have a change of seasons. Maybe South Florida doesn't, but most of the South does. Just because the thermometer doesn't read 10°F (or -12°C) and just because the sky is blue and the sun is shining doesn't mean the weather conditions don't qualify as "winter."

Today in Nashville, temps are in the low 50s, and the sun is brilliant. I'm going out for a good, long walk to enjoy this winter day!
Amen.

It's gorgeous here today too! I love the crisp, sunny days of winter - and I even love the few dark, cloudy, cold days we have - because they aren't around for long (typically January). I enjoy fires in the fireplace and hot tea and cold for a few weeks, but not a few months. But we get that, and we get fall colors, spring thunderstorms and all sorts of blooming things, and hot summer days (with more blooming things).

Like I've said about a gazillion times, the only place I've ever lived that had four evenly spaced seasons (3 months each, almost on the dot) was in Virginia. And while I love that state, I still choose to live in Texas, for so many different reasons. I'll put up with some inconvenient heat in September to avoid piles of dirty snow in March any day. But it's just a personal preference.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
There is no such thing here, the seasons blend together with no identifiable change. We may get a day or two of sun and 70F in May, but we may also get a day or two of clouds, even rain and 60s in July. Generally the driest, warmest weather is July and August, but officially summer starts June 20 and ends September 22. Our worst weather and most likely snow and freezing is February, but we have seen that in November, and in April.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Also, having a lot of people is overrated. This country would be better off if it only had 15,000,000 instead of the monstrous 320,000,000+ lol. If having more people was a better place, India and China would be paradise.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
What is it about the year 1969 that apparently makes such a difference? I'm a GenXer born in '66 and I mostly agree with your assessment of Florida and Arizona (though I'd take Florida over Arizona in a heartbeat).

Minnesota's a really nice state, and one I think I could easily live in from April-October. There are things I miss about the North, but the winters certainly aren't a draw for this born-and-bred Canadian. Fortunately, there IS middle ground, literally and figuratively, between Minnesota and Florida.

I'd like to hear you say the same thing after 40+ years of those winters!

I was just throwing a ballpark number out there lol. It's not as much as an age thing, but a "generation Jones" thing. Not everyone, but a good amount of people born in the '50s and '60s took on this fascination with McMansions, and minivans, and suburbia, which to me seems so wasteful. Of course, it's not everyone. I got a friend born in 1962 and she's about as hippie as it gets lol. She HATES manicured lawns and all that jazz. She's all about sustainable gardening and is a bee keeper. While I am not all that granola, I can vibe with all that. I'm becoming even more of an environmentalist as I grow older and see the way our planet's ecosystems are going. She herself admits that a lot of people in her age group fell into that "Jonesy" suburban lifestyle, and that's the lifestyle that the sunbelt caters to. I'm not opposed to big suburban yards, if most of them were dedicated to eco-friendly gardening as opposed to fertilised and pesticised lawns.

The winters are my 2nd fav season (only cuz I love fall a little more) and I actually find them still too mild. If I had it my way, winter would have very very few days above 32. I'm not a fan of slush and melting/refreezing snow. I like it to just stay frozen. 40 years? I hope to make it even more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.