Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 06:28 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,331,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

Anyone else feel this way?
No, I like variety - the spice of life. I would hate to live somewhere without a distinct change of seasons. Sunny and 73-83 deg every day would get old for me. It would be like a Groundhog Day movie. But I know some people love that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:31 PM

405 posts, read 471,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The question for those of us who are not big four-seasons fans is not whether fall in the north can be beautiful, it's whether it's worth putting up with some of the other seasons in exchange for a few weeks of fall.
Agreed. I do like fall scenery (although I'd rather be on a beach LOL), but I cannot deal with <40 degree weather and snow.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:08 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,364,832 times
Quote:
The question for those of us who are not big four-seasons fans is not whether fall in the north can be beautiful, it's whether it's worth putting up with some of the other seasons in exchange for a few weeks of fall.
Well its a good thing fall, like other seasons, lasts 3 months
The foliage does not last only a few weeks either. The great thing is that not all trees change at the same time. The Twin Cities are entering the post peak period, where lots of trees are bare or mostly bare, yet we still have some trees that are still entirely green! There's been decent colour since the end of September. Early October the areas around the river started peaking first and now late October most parts of the cities have peaked. November's a bit "duller" I imagine, but its still a fall month with mostly fall-like weather. I consider highs from the 70s to 40s and lows from 50s to 20s to be in the realm of "fall weather." Down south its different. In Texas a low in the 30s is wintry, but here its more like mid to late fall.

Winter, like any season, is what you make of it. I personally wanna learn snowboarding this season. I love winter activities and love not having to spend a lot of money just to drive or fly once a year to just see some snow. I love having it come to me. My family spends thousands of dollars to travel from Florida to see snow in the mountains.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:16 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,237,942 times
Def not overrated. It's like hitting the reset button every 3 months.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,196,084 times
Still waiting for fall here in NY......

Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,190,227 times
Quote:
Fall is much more than a few weeks. After Labor Day, it’s time to start tailgating again and enjoy the return of cooler weather. Fresh apples and cider come on in October, along with pumpkin patches and haunted houses. The leaves turn in throughout October and after Halloween, the holidays start. It’s time to bundle up and visit family and friends for Thanksgiving. Throughout December, there are holiday parades and parties and with any luck, a white Christmas on December 25. As I began, fall is much more than a few weeks.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,443,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well its a good thing fall, like other seasons, lasts 3 months
The foliage does not last only a few weeks either. The great thing is that not all trees change at the same time. The Twin Cities are entering the post peak period, where lots of trees are bare or mostly bare, yet we still have some trees that are still entirely green! There's been decent colour since the end of September. Early October the areas around the river started peaking first and now late October most parts of the cities have peaked. November's a bit "duller" I imagine, but its still a fall month with mostly fall-like weather. I consider highs from the 70s to 40s and lows from 50s to 20s to be in the realm of "fall weather." Down south its different. In Texas a low in the 30s is wintry, but here its more like mid to late fall.

Winter, like any season, is what you make of it. I personally wanna learn snowboarding this season. I love winter activities and love not having to spend a lot of money just to drive or fly once a year to just see some snow. I love having it come to me. My family spends thousands of dollars to travel from Florida to see snow in the mountains.
Doesn't Minneapolis have highs in the 30s the whole second half of November?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,453,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Fall is much more than a few weeks. After Labor Day, it’s time to start tailgating again and enjoy the return of cooler weather. Fresh apples and cider come on in October, along with pumpkin patches and haunted houses. The leaves turn in throughout October and after Halloween, the holidays start. It’s time to bundle up and visit family and friends for Thanksgiving. Throughout December, there are holiday parades and parties and with any luck, a white Christmas on December 25. As I began, fall is much more than a few weeks.
Of course, if one's definition of "fall" is "September, October, and November, with everything that happens in them," then fall lasts three months. It lasts three months everywhere. What I question is whether this amazing, soul-inspiring crisp weather and foliage lasts three months. Actually, it sounds like you're even including December in fall, so hmmm.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,190,227 times
Quote:
Of course, if one's definition of "fall" is "September, October, and November, with everything that happens in them," then fall lasts three months. It lasts three months everywhere. What I question is whether this amazing, soul-inspiring crisp weather and foliage lasts three months. Actually, it sounds like you're even including December in fall, so hmmm.
First of all, fall lasts until Dec 21. So it follows that everything that happens in those three months comprises fall, including but not limited to the foliage change.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:01 AM

14,203 posts, read 11,453,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
First of all, fall lasts until Dec 21. So it follows that everything that happens in those three months comprises fall, including but not limited to the foliage change.
This thread is about seasonal weather, not cultural activities. Believe it or not, people in non-four-seasons climates also pick pumpkins, celebrate Halloween, and visit Grandma at Thanksgiving.

Last edited by saibot; 10-24-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.