Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,299,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think it’s kinda funny that Houston saw snow before New York this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
And before Milwaukee.
And all with temperatures staying above freezing. Quite a feat indeed.

Last edited by Texyn; 12-08-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
In other words, you guys do want 4 seasons but not at the expense of being near family and low COL.
Yeah I want four seasons - I just don't want them to be equal in length. For instance, I loved the flurries we had yesterday - but I don't want snow or even flurries for the next four months. I like them to last, ohhh, about 3 hours.

I've got a question for you though, and I mean it sincerely: Why does it bother you so much that I like the weather where I live? And that I like where I live in general? I have never said it's a superior place and all other places suck. But I like it here and lots of other people do too. Why does that bother you so much? Why can't you just be happy that there's a good place for everyone - that different people like different places and that's OK?

Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 PM

18 posts, read 15,825 times
I would love to have 4 seasons! I'm from Houston and the snow we got last night and this morning has been awesome!!!! I would love the cold weather to stick around,but that is unlikely. I dislike the weather in Houston because it is warm/to hot for several months out of the year. I do know a ton of people that love the weather here. 60 degrees is too chilly for some. I would love to have an actual fall for once where my pumpkins do not melt ��.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Four seasons are very overrated. No more snow for me, thank you very much. Oranges are ripe here in San Jose, CA. Went to the nursery yesterday to look at plants on sale - the nursery man was wearing shorts. I got too hot in the sun in my fleece vest over my long sleeved tee.

if I never see another snowflake in my life, I will die happy.

That said, I do enjoy fall color. So, the nursery man suggested a nice crepe myrtle for my balcony that will give me flowers and nice fall color.

None of which involve ice, snow, sleet...... As long as the 4th season involves one where there are ripe oranges in the yards around my house....4 seasons are fine with me :-)

Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Four seasons are very overrated. No more snow for me, thank you very much. Oranges are ripe here in San Jose, CA. Went to the nursery yesterday to look at plants on sale - the nursery man was wearing shorts. I got too hot in the sun in my fleece vest over my long sleeved tee.

if I never see another snowflake in my life, I will die happy.

That said, I do enjoy fall color. So, the nursery man suggested a nice crepe myrtle for my balcony that will give me flowers and nice fall color.

None of which involve ice, snow, sleet...... As long as the 4th season involves one where there are ripe oranges in the yards around my house....4 seasons are fine with me :-)
LOL. Something about your username told me you might not like snow! I am just the opposite. I was a northerner who spent 26 years in Houston. At first, it was a novelty to play tennis on Christmas. In the later years, I began to miss 4 seasons, particularly when we began making yearly trips to Maine each fall.

Eventually I moved to the northeast once I retired. Right now, my hubby and I are nestled in front of a fireplace in our room at an inn in the Brandywine Valley watching the snow fall. It doesn’t get any better.

As KA notes above, we are all fortunate when we are able to live in a place that makes us happy. I hope you have many snow-free years in SJ!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
LOL. Something about your username told me you might not like snow! I am just the opposite. I was a northerner who spent 26 years in Houston. At first, it was a novelty to play tennis on Christmas. In the later years, I began to miss 4 seasons, particularly when we began making yearly trips to Maine each fall.

Eventually I moved to the northeast once I retired. Right now, my hubby and I are nestled in front of a fireplace in our room at an inn in the Brandywine Valley watching the snow fall. It doesn’t get any better.

As KA notes above, we are all fortunate when we are able to live in a place that makes us happy. I hope you have many snow-free years in SJ!
Right on.

Right now it's 37 degrees and sunny sunny sunny outside and I've been sitting by my fire with a hot cup of coffee and enjoying the twinkling Christmas lights. I expect the high on Christmas day to be about 55 as it usually is, with a frosty morning and a nice crisp evening. I love it!

No, I don't like it when it's 70 degrees on Christmas (that happens very occasionally) but I also don't like it when it's 25 degrees on Christmas (that happens occasionally as well). But I do love the crisp winter days filled with sunshine that are so common in northeast Texas in December - and I also like the short, darkish days of January when we get ice and occasionally a bit of snow and things are quiet and bare and overcast. I like that for about a month - not three months! By February I'm working in the yard again, even though another cold spell or two is inevitably coming. Note to self - DO NOT PLANT SPRING FLOWERS TILL MARCH!

I'm totally with you on the fabulous Maine autumns though - my husband and I occasionally make a trip to the northeast during the fall and it's really beautiful up there. Our trees here in northeast Texas JUST turned about a week ago and I do like colorful autumns that last longer. But like most places, it's a trade off.

My favorite place for four equal seasons is the MidAtlantic seaboard but even then, they do get some crazy weather that's not to my liking. No place is perfect in my opinion - but that's what planes and vacations are for!

Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,449 times
I generally agree with people that say they don’t like snow or winter weather. But we’re just getting our first snowfall of the season here in New York and my new roommate from Florida was all giddy like a child watching the snow falling from the sky and it was kind of adorable, lol. It reminded me of a little bit of my childhood when I used to actually get excited about snow, and it kind of inspired that old feeling for me again a little bit. I kind of needed that since I’ve become so jaded about the snow as a working adult now. I told him to just wait till tomorrow afternoon when it turns into a gross sludge you won’t be enjoying it anymore.

I’m omw to work now and I’m just hoping I get to “enjoy” it and maybe get some Instagram pics before that happens. I will say that there’s something special about that first snow of the year, especially when it’s right before Christmas.
They’re expecting around 4-6 inches for my part of the city. It definitely helps that I don’t have to worry about shoveling, driving, and other car-related snow problems (thanks to aparment living and subways). Maybe I shouldn’t be as jaded as I am.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It's interesting how many people say they like cold and snow because it "kills off the bugs." Tells me about everything I need to know about summer in those climates.

Right, cuz there's no bugs in the Southeast? Actually the bugs aren't that bad up north in the summer. Not in my opinion they're not. I've never seen the amount of cockroaches and mosquitoes and flies I've seen in Florida in Texas or Minnesota.

What I was referring to about cold killing of bugs, applies also to cold climates having less bugs. The whole "bugs come back with a vengeance up north in summer" is SUCH an exaggeration. Maybe its just more noticed because the bug season is shorter, but aside from mosquitoes, there's been no bug problems here in MN. Unless you feel threatened by butterflies, ladybugs and honeybees.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 12-09-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-09-2017, 09:55 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I like four seasons, don't get me wrong. I just like winter to be really short.
Winter is technically the shortest, considering how few days February has I don't like any season to feel too long or short. Heat in October is just as annoying to me as snow in April. A few days like that in the month is okay, but not too many. Right now its only December, though, so I welcome as much as snow as we can get. What's the point in highs in the 20s and 30s if the ground is brown all winter? Gross.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:56 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Right, cuz there's no bugs in the Southeast? Actually the bugs aren't that bad up north in the summer. Not in my opinion they're not. I've never seen the amount of cockroaches and mosquitoes and flies I've seen in Florida in Texas or Minnesota.
Dear lord, the bugs in the south are horrible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.