Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
You Southerners can't even do winter storms right. How are you going to make french toast with dog food and coffee???

I prefer four seasons. I really hate heat and humidity, so there's no way I would live in the south. I prefer the semi-arid climate of where I live. Winter is probably my least favorite season, but it's not so bad here because it's usually pretty sunny and the Chinook winds give us some mild days. I'm not a huge fan of spring here, because you never know what you're going to get. March is our snowiest month, and we've had a foot of snow on Mother's Day before. Summer and fall are wonderful.

The biggest negatives here are the wind and hail. I've just learned that I can't have nice things.
OK, I really really really dislike French toast so that is not a problem! (I can't stand syrup on eggs.)

And we don't do winter storms "right" because they are so rare around here that we don't spend millions of tax dollars on storm equipment. This is literally record breaking cold here - as in, the coldest it's been in about 25 years! I am freezing my butt off! It's ten degrees here right now and all the ice from yesterday refroze on the roads, so the schools are closed again since we have such a small number of trucks that can spread sand - too many minor roads that are still as slick as glass.

It's so cold and ugly outside - I can't imagine living in this sort of frozen tundra for weeks or months at a time. My daughter up in Ohio said, "Oh Mom, it's OK...as long as you stay inside and drink hot tea!" Well, I did that all day yesterday and the novelty has worn completely off.

I like four seasons too, but I don't insist that they get "equal time." I'll be honest - I liked waking up to a blanket of snow (and ice) yesterday - but it's time for it to go. Thank goodness it will be warmed up by tomorrow! One day too long in my opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
You Southerners can't even do winter storms right. How are you going to make french toast with dog food and coffee???

I prefer four seasons. I really hate heat and humidity, so there's no way I would live in the south. I prefer the semi-arid climate of where I live. Winter is probably my least favorite season, but it's not so bad here because it's usually pretty sunny and the Chinook winds give us some mild days. I'm not a huge fan of spring here, because you never know what you're going to get. March is our snowiest month, and we've had a foot of snow on Mother's Day before. Summer and fall are wonderful.

The biggest negatives here are the wind and hail. I've just learned that I can't have nice things.
I can't do the nasty dry weather in CO. Nose bleeds and cracked skin, yuck! Every time I'm there I see people that are 40 that look 60, their skin is so dry and cracked. Down here people have that nice soft skin.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:33 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG, the horror. SO GLAD I don't have to go anywhere today and that I stocked up on dog food, coffee, and toilet paper!
What is that? Looks like someone sprinkled some powdered sugar on the ground

I took this pic of my neighbourhood on Monday. And we're actually still below average on snow!!

Here's another one
Further down the sidewalks some kids were building an igloo. Now that's how winter should be experienced! It was bitter cold on Monday though, windchill of -13 and not much sunlight despite the clear skies. Light clouds were blocking the sun. Today's a lovely brisk day probably around 20 now. What sucks is freezing weather without ANY snow, like in Denton. They've really missed out on snow the past few winters. Thankful I don't live there anymore. I'm looking forward to more snow on Sunday and Monday. Bring it on, baby!

Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, I really really really dislike French toast so that is not a problem! (I can't stand syrup on eggs.)

And we don't do winter storms "right" because they are so rare around here that we don't spend millions of tax dollars on storm equipment. This is literally record breaking cold here - as in, the coldest it's been in about 25 years! I am freezing my butt off! It's ten degrees here right now and all the ice from yesterday refroze on the roads, so the schools are closed again since we have such a small number of trucks that can spread sand - too many minor roads that are still as slick as glass.

It's so cold and ugly outside - I can't imagine living in this sort of frozen tundra for weeks or months at a time. My daughter up in Ohio said, "Oh Mom, it's OK...as long as you stay inside and drink hot tea!" Well, I did that all day yesterday and the novelty has worn completely off.

I like four seasons too, but I don't insist that they get "equal time." I'll be honest - I liked waking up to a blanket of snow (and ice) yesterday - but it's time for it to go. Thank goodness it will be warmed up by tomorrow! One day too long in my opinion!
I don't get why people call snow "ugly." I get that its cold and not for you, but from a visual perspective.. ugly? Fresh snow is one of the most beautiful things. Its white, clean, sparkly and piles nicely. Ugly snow is dirty snow covered in dust, mud, grime and urine. Snow rarely lasts that long down south to get that dirty and even up north, it only gets that dirty on the side of the roads in busy streets, and then it gets clean and white after the next snowfall anyway. Ugly to me is Texas on a brown winter day. Brown grass with no snow on it for 3 months. Yuck. November is Minnesota's ugliest month and that's how Texas looks like most of the winter. If its gonna be cold and dead looking at least cover it up with blankets of snow.

No one looks at a Christmas card and says "This is hideous! Too much white stuff. There needs to be more dead looking grass!"

Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I don't get why people call snow "ugly." I get that its cold and not for you, but from a visual perspective.. ugly? Fresh snow is one of the most beautiful things. Its white, clean, sparkly and piles nicely. Ugly snow is dirty snow covered in dust, mud, grime and urine. Snow rarely lasts that long down south to get that dirty and even up north, it only gets that dirty on the side of the roads in busy streets, and then it gets clean and white after the next snowfall anyway. Ugly to me is Texas on a brown winter day. Brown grass with no snow on it for 3 months. Yuck. November is Minnesota's ugliest month and that's how Texas looks like most of the winter. If its gonna be cold and dead looking at least cover it up with blankets of snow.

No one looks at a Christmas card and says "This is hideous! Too much white stuff. There needs to be more dead looking grass!"
It's ugly up north in March and April when the snow starts melting and there are those God forsaken snowpiles in *every* parking lot you can see. It's above freezing but the piles are so big they take weeks or even months to melt. They are piled high and various shades of black, they almost make me vomit.

Then, there are those slushy puddles that eventually become mud puddles right next to the snow piles. The grass has those lower areas with melted slush puddles filled with mud and the rest of the grass is coated with this nasty slushy muddy mess. In the meantime, in Texas wildflowers are blooming and the sun is shining brightly.

I'll take Texas thank you!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM

515 posts, read 558,175 times
Quote:

I took this pic of my neighbourhood on Monday. And we're actually still below average on snow!!

Here's another one
Further down the sidewalks some kids were building an igloo. Now that's how winter should be experienced! It was bitter cold on Monday though, windchill of -13 and not much sunlight despite the clear skies. Light clouds were blocking the sun. Today's a lovely brisk day probably around 20 now. What sucks is freezing weather without ANY snow, like in Denton. They've really missed out on snow the past few winters. Thankful I don't live there anymore. I'm looking forward to more snow on Sunday and Monday. Bring it on, baby!
I'm sorry but that doesn't look pretty at all. I've spent a Feb. and March in Minneapolis and the snow was very dirty by then, especially the tall snow banks on the sides of all the roads. BTW, 5 or 6 days below zero hardly qualifies as a freezing winter season, the extended forecast for Denton, TX looks like 50s and 60s for weeks. That sounds like nice winter temps to me.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Here's another one
Ye gods, you can have it. I've had 2 days of it and I'm sick of it. I told my husband just a few minutes ago "I am sick of seeing icicles and ice everywhere." Heck, my friend who is originally from New Jersey just called me and said, "WILL THIS ICE AND COLD EVER END??????? I AM SICK OF THIS!" Me, too sister - me too.

The novelty of it has worn off for my dogs too.

Thankfully, the high tomorrow is supposed to be 44 with abundant sunshine, and by Monday the highs will be what is the average for this time of year here, mid 50s with more sunshine. WOOHOO!

Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:

New snow is pretty. The issue is that it doesn't stay new and fresh for long - and then it just gets wet, icy, dirty, heavy, etc and that's what I can't stand. And I've lived in plenty of places that "retain" snow past it's "fresh, pretty stage" (which is basically a few hours) and I just don't care for it. To each his own.

We still have fall colors in December here. By the end of February, things are already starting to green back up. So at the most we have two months of brown. But we don't have piles of dirty old snow, or slick parking lots or steps or porches, etc. etc.

Everyone has their preferences and mine is less wet snow and ice and icicles and salt on the roads (and undercarriage of my car, etc.)

Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
It's ugly up north in March and April when the snow starts melting and there are those God forsaken snowpiles in *every* parking lot you can see. It's above freezing but the piles are so big they take weeks or even months to melt. They are piled high and various shades of black, they almost make me vomit.

Then, there are those slushy puddles that eventually become mud puddles right next to the snow piles. The grass has those lower areas with melted slush puddles filled with mud and the rest of the grass is coated with this nasty slushy muddy mess. In the meantime, in Texas wildflowers are blooming and the sun is shining brightly.

I'll take Texas thank you!

That lasts for a few weeks and then everything gets green. In a Texas winter its just dead looking from December through February and only looks nice on the rare snow day. I don't think its the "worst thing ever" by any means, I mean I'd rather that then no seasonal changes at all, but I'll take a snowy white winter over it any day. Spring up north is gorgeous. Sure it takes a while longer to green up but when it does, its absolutely beautiful. Btw I think spring in Texas is beautiful too. Its the prettiest season because fall is relatively dull and summer, well summer anywhere is "default."

Here in Minnesota I think fall is our prettiest season, followed by winter, then spring and summer. Fall however, has in my opinion both the prettiest and ugliest month. October followed by November. They're all beautiful though. There is no real "ugly" month here, and I think Texas in winter is pretty too, in that Great Plains aesthetic. But snow makes it look even prettier. Its still the uglier season, though.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I'm sorry but that doesn't look pretty at all. I've spent a Feb. and March in Minneapolis and the snow was very dirty by then, especially the tall snow banks on the sides of all the roads. BTW, 5 or 6 days below zero hardly qualifies as a freezing winter season, the extended forecast for Denton, TX looks like 50s and 60s for weeks. That sounds like nice winter temps to me.

The snow doesn't get dirty in residential streets. Why would it? There's hardly any traffic. Now on busy streets like Hennepin Ave in Minneapolis or 7th Street in Saint Paul, yea the snow gets ugly and dirty especially if there's been a thaw and cars splash mud, making it grey and brown. What looks ugly about the snow in those pictures? Its all clean and white. Its from a fresh snowfall and my neighbourhood does not get a lot of traffic in residential streets to make it all dirty. And have you been to the parks in winter? I went sledding last month at Kenwood Park in Minneapolis and it was a winter wonderland. Super clean snow, beautiful hills and trees. Sorry you can't appreciate wintry aesthetics. Maybe yer just not built fer da nort, eh?

Where are you bringing below zero for? Minneapolis or Denton? I never said Denton was having below zero, they've just been having below freezing. I don't even know when the last time North Texas was below zero. No, Denton is currently cold but it doesn't last long. But if its gonna be below freezing all day like it was yesterday and much of today, it might as well snow. All my friends down there have been sour about the lack of snow this winter. Freezing cold weather is useless if there's no snow. Thats how our November was here in Minnesota. A buncha freezing days with no snow whatsoever. Really lame. There's a lot more to do when there's snow outside. I still am dying to go cross country skiing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.