Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM

405 posts, read 475,926 times

Advertisements

Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Coming from 9 months of hell down here, 4 seasons sounds great. It shouldn't be shorts weather during winter.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 AM

405 posts, read 475,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Coming from 9 months of hell down here, 4 seasons sounds great. It shouldn't be shorts weather during winter.
I agree that a break from heat is nice, however when I have to spend a **** ton on winter clothes, and I can't even open the door due to the amount of snow in the middle of January, I envy you

Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Default Are "change of seasons" overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Obviously this is a matter of personal opinion.

To me, I like the change of the seasons. Few things would be more boring to me than living where the weather was basically the same all year long.

With regards to New York, I like the fall. Some warm days, some cool days. Lots of seasonal activities and fairs. Apple and pumpkin picking. The holidays from Halloween to Thanksgiving to the Christmas season. And of course the colors of the trees.

It is Spring that I think is the most boring season.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I agree that a break from heat is nice, however when I have to spend a **** ton on winter clothes, and I can't even open the door due to the amount of snow in the middle of January, I envy you
It's all relative. You wouldn't say that if every time you thought about going outside you broke into a sweat. I plan my days around the sun. Lol. I also don't drive much here.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Quote:
Tman does have a point about winter clothes. If you do not have to have as much winter clothes, you not only save money but also drawer/closet space.

Still some people like to have a lot of different types of clothes and some winter or cool weather clothes are fashionable I guess.

Annie, I know how you feel about the heat because I have family in Florida and some of them complain about the weather at certain times of the year just like some New Yorkers complain about the weather at certain times of the year.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Tman does have a point about winter clothes. If you do not have to have as much winter clothes, you not only save money but also drawer/closet space.

Still some people like to have a lot of different types of clothes and some winter or cool weather clothes are fashionable I guess.

Annie, I know how you feel about the heat because I have family in Florida and some of them complain about the weather at certain times of the year just like some New Yorkers complain about the weather at certain times of the year.
Yeah I'm going to have to buy winter clothes for Colorado. But for me it's a welcome change to walking to the bar at 9pm and sweating because it's 85 degrees.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
I love the change of seasons, and would never want to live where "seasons" don't exist.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:37 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:

Would you rather substitute PHX's climate? Where for 4 months its anywhere from 100-120 in the day and 80-100 at night with no relief in sight? Then our "Fall" consists of temps from 85-100 in the day and 50-70 at night? And the temps you whine about in your Fall? That's our winter, for 4 straight months. Those crazy 30-degree daily temp swings last for months on end here. Highs in winter here can be 50-80 degrees and 30-50 at night.

Bottom line: NYC's temps are moderate.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:43 AM

47 posts, read 59,061 times
Completely agree OP, it was a big influencer on me moving to SoCal from the midwest.

Sometimes I miss seasonality, but then I remember that if I was still living in Wisconsin right now it would be pushing 40 degrees in a few weeks. No thank you. 70 and sunny from here on out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.