Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM

827 posts, read 682,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
You are a travel agent abroad (outside North America). You have organized the

SEE AND UNDERSTAND AMERICA GRAND TOUR

Your tour will include only FIVE U.S. CITIES

These cities have been chosen by you because they are the five to give someone the best understanding of what the United States is all about. There are no other criteria.

List your five cities and for each give commentary as to why each helps gain an understanding of what the US is all about..
1) Fly into NY. Obvious reasons. Lots to see and do.

2) DC. Nations Capital. Lots to see.

3) New Orleans. Southern culture, food, jazz, and it might even be during Mardi Gras.

4a)Chicago (if not during winter)Because you need to see the middle to fully appreciate the coasts.

4b)Los Angeles (if winter) Some interesting things to see and plenty to do. +1 for beaches in winter.

5)San Francisco. Same reasons as NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
New York City
Chicago
New Orleans
San Francisco
Savannah

Old 10-10-2017, 03:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,597,888 times
NYC
San Francisco
Chicago
New Orleans
Washington, DC

I picked these five for no other reason than they are probably the most compelling/interesting cities in the U.S., regardless of location-- and also large, easy-to-get-to and can support a multi-day stay (albeit NO might be a push).

Old 10-10-2017, 03:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
Beaches: Miami
Red Light District Fun: New Orleans
Chinatown and Redwood Trees: San Fran
Early American Urbanity: NYC or Philadelphia
Vampires: Barrow, Alaska

Old 10-10-2017, 04:29 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,196,427 times
If someone really wanted to SEE America I think it would be important to pick different cities from different regions. My 5 would be:

1. New York City — no explanation
2. Los Angeles — largest city in California and West Coast
3. Chicago — largest city in the Midwest and Great Lakes
4. Washington DC — I know it is close to NY and I did try to mix up the regions but I feel if you really want to see America you cannot skip the capital. And DC is such a great city to visit with so much to do and even I end up learning more about my Country after each visit.
5. New Orleans — an extremely unique city not just in the US but the world. Also Southern and Cajun food.

Just missed my list: Miami and San Francisco.

And as a bonus for someone that loves nightlife tourism, I would pick this list for an American nightlife tour:
NYC, Vegas, New Orleans, Miami, Chicago.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM

3,849 posts, read 5,248,456 times
NYC - Self explanatory. It is THE showcase city in the US.

LA - Hollywood culture is something that people are curious about around the world. Pop culture has spread to one end of the globe and back. I would imagine people would want to check this off their bucket list. Plus its a fascinating city away from the stereotypical hollywood scene and lights.

NOLA - One of the most unique cities in the country. Just for a food and music alone you would want to visit here. It is just a city you cannot replicate elsewhere, a must see in my opinion.

DC - The Nations capital. So much to see and do. One of the best museum systems on the planet.

Boston or Philly - Pick one. The two cities that have preserved their historic fabric and tell a story of the birth of America better than anywhere else. History buffs would want to put these places on their list.

Honourable mention - Chicago, SF, Miami, Las Vegas, Orlando.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 898,179 times
Perfect

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM

486 posts, read 596,145 times
-Philadelphia, PA: the birthplace of our country

-Nashville, TN: hub of music, especially American staples like country, gospel, folk and Americana

-Tucson, AZ: the largest city that arguably represents the "American Southwest" the best

-Milwaukee, WI: a city representing the Great Lakes and Midwest. Gritty, urban and known for beer, brats and baseball.

-Portland, ME: East coast, New England, seaside city, with loads of historic architecture and personality.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Boston - lots of American history, a great mix of old and new - -plus it has a Chinatown district that's cool. And lots of wealth and centers of learning. And lobster.

Chicago - the crossroads of our nation, a mix of east and west, lots of cultures, great architecture and a wide array of food.

San Francisco - What's a visit to the US without a visit to the California coast? Very unique city, very picturesque, a really different sort of place altogether, and it's just such a pretty place.

New Orleans - Well, you have to visit the deep South and wow, what a mix of cultures New Orleans is! Jazz, southern and Cajun food, winding streets, second lines, and southern drawls. Yessssss....

Fort Worth - I was torn because the fifth city could be FW, or it could also be Minneapolis, or Salt Lake City, or Denver, or Portland Maine, or any other number of really unique and interesting places, but I chose Fort Worth because it's Cow Town, and what's a trip to the US without throwing in some REAL cowboys and Tex Mex food? It's also a smaller city than the others, and it has honky tonks AND a bustling Arts District. It has two downtowns as well - one is sleek and contemporary and one is the old stockyards. Also, where else can you find a cattle drive every day of the week right through down town?

Honorable mention - San Antonio rather than Fort Worth - because of the Hispanic influence which so much of the US has. San Antonio is also a beautiful city and has gorgeous missions nearby, the picturesque Riverwalk, and hey - the Alamo (which is smaller than it seems like it should be but it's still the ALAMO). And OMG the Tex Mex is to die for. I included either San Antonio or Fort Worth because if you're going to come all the way to the US and see both coasts, you have to see Texas too.

I say the perfect time to visit is October. Start in Boston, then do Chicago, then San Francisco, then Fort Worth and end up in New Orleans - where it will still be warm the last week of October but the heat won't absolutely kill most people by then.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:08 AM

3,212 posts, read 2,221,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
You are a travel agent abroad (outside North America). You have organized the

SEE AND UNDERSTAND AMERICA GRAND TOUR

Your tour will include only FIVE U.S. CITIES

These cities have been chosen by you because they are the five to give someone the best understanding of what the United States is all about. There are no other criteria.

List your five cities and for each give commentary as to why each helps gain an understanding of what the US is all about..
For cities:
1) NYC
2) Seattle
3) DC
4) SF
5) LA

Actually I think that the National Parks are much more interesting than our cities:
1) Yosemite
2) Yellowstone
3) Glacier
4) Grand Canyon
5) Hoh rain forest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.