Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What people group do Mexican-Americans feel "closest" to?
Native Americans/First Nations 7 14.89%
Filipinos 4 8.51%
Other Asians (Japanese,Vietnamese,etc.) 0 0%
South Asians (Indian,Pakistani) 2 4.26%
Cubans 0 0%
Puerto Ricans 3 6.38%
Salvadorans 1 2.13%
Other Central Americans (Guatemalan,Honduran) 20 42.55%
Argentineans 0 0%
Peruvians 1 2.13%
Brazilians 0 0%
Other South Americans (Peruvians,Ecuadorians) 0 0%
Other 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 11:45 AM

215 posts, read 210,619 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,
Forgive me if this question/poll isn't in the proper category but I don't believe I saw anywhere else to place this.I was talking to a friend from work who is of Mexican descent and we got to talking about Mexicans in the US and what people groups and cultures Mexicans feel "closest" to and what surprised me was he didn't name a another Latino group!It got me interested to ask Mexican-Americans on City data what their opinion was about this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 12:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Hey y'all,
Forgive me if this question/poll isn't in the proper category but I don't believe I saw anywhere else to place this.I was talking to a friend from work who is of Mexican descent and we got to talking about Mexicans in the US and what people groups and cultures Mexicans feel "closest" to and what surprised me was he didn't name a another Latino group!It got me interested to ask Mexican-Americans on City data what their opinion was about this subject.
Your friend is correct. Certainly in the United States only Black Americans can relate to the struggles endured by Mexican-Americans (I.e., racism, discrimination, lynchings, etc.).

Culture-wise there are many countries that share the “family-centric” culture of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans. Indians come to mind as a prime example.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:58 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
There is a generational divide (assimilation ruled for older immigrants) but also a geographic one (ethnic communities vary widely depending on where in the US you are). But language and the Church are arguably the main things that brought people together regardless of time or place.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:18 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
There's both a pan-Hispanic identity and a nationalist identity.

Most Mexicans will identify with the pan-Hispanic identity while still harboring very nationalist (and often times belittling) ideas about other Hispanic nationalities.

I've met Salvadorans who hate Hondurans yet you couldn't pick them apart from a line up. So it really is a complex question.

Edit: And most Hispanics don't really identify with Black Americans due to some semblance of shared history. Outside of very progressive universities, most Hispanics don't relate to others based on "past oppression." You'd be shocked how few Hispanics have even heard of the Mexican Repatriation, and even those who have don't seem to dwell on it much. There's very much a "echa pa'lante" cultural strain in Latino history that prefers to focus on the future even when the past hasn't been so kind. This has its pros and cons, of course.

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 03-30-2024 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 03:08 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
My Mexican grandfather did espouse a hierarchy in Latin America. I couldn’t remember the details, but the top was Mexico and Puerto Rico I know.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:42 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Most Mexicans will identify with the pan-Hispanic identity while still harboring very nationalist (and often times belittling) ideas about other Hispanic nationalities.

I've met Salvadorans who hate Hondurans yet you couldn't pick them apart from a line up. So it really is a complex question.

Edit: And most Hispanics don't really identify with Black Americans due to some semblance of shared history. Outside of very progressive universities, most Hispanics don't relate to others based on "past oppression." You'd be shocked how few Hispanics have even heard of the Mexican Repatriation, and even those who have don't seem to dwell on it much. There's very much a "echa pa'lante" cultural strain in Latino history that prefers to focus on the future even when the past hasn't been so kind. This has its pros and cons, of course.
The question was specifically about Mexican-Americans not Hispanics as a whole.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:30 PM

638 posts, read 347,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

This is true. Hispanics identify closer to white people than blacks. In recent years there has even been quite a bit of open racism against blacks from the Mexican community.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:58 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
The Mexican-Americans I knew from university and a sports center here in the San Francisco Bay Area tended to hang around with other brown-skinned Mexican-Americans like themselves (no accents, so either born here or brought here as children).

I'm white, and was invited to one of their family homes for a holiday dinner where I experienced my one and only bowl of menudo.

Some years later, during a vacation to Mexico City, my husband and I (we aren't Mexican) got to know a highly educated, tall, white Mexican man with Spanish roots and we learned that there is a large divide between Mexicans of Spanish roots and those that are Mestizo. The "White Mexicans" don't tend to emigrate to the U.S. as much, perhaps because they are already "top of the food chain" in Mexico.

If interested, see "white Mexicans" https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&q=white+mexicans&ia=web

Old 03-31-2024, 12:25 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

got to know a highly educated, tall, white Mexican man with Spanish roots and we learned that there is a large divide between Mexicans of Spanish roots and those that are Mestizo. The "White Mexicans" don't tend to emigrate to the U.S. as much, perhaps because they are already "top of the food chain”.
This is very true, and very similar to wealthy Northern Italians vs. Southern Italians emigrated to the U.S. due to poverty and seeking for better opportunities.

The rich industrialist families (usually generational wealth and power.) in the Northern region of Italy were well established therefore no need to move. (For years I wondered about the drastic differences between Italians from Italy and Italian-Americans.)

Old 03-31-2024, 09:02 AM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The Mexican-Americans I knew from university and a sports center here in the San Francisco Bay Area tended to hang around with other brown-skinned Mexican-Americans like themselves (no accents, so either born here or brought here as children).

I'm white, and was invited to one of their family homes for a holiday dinner where I experienced my one and only bowl of menudo.

Some years later, during a vacation to Mexico City, my husband and I (we aren't Mexican) got to know a highly educated, tall, white Mexican man with Spanish roots and we learned that there is a large divide between Mexicans of Spanish roots and those that are Mestizo. The "White Mexicans" don't tend to emigrate to the U.S. as much, perhaps because they are already "top of the food chain" in Mexico.

If interested, see "white Mexicans" https://duckduckgo.com/?t=h_&q=white+mexicans&ia=web
Plenty of white looking Mexicans move to the USA.
Jalisco is one of the whitest states and there are tons of people from there all over the western USA. They prefer the western us over the east coast for some reason.
Jalisco is noticably whiter than Mexico city. Look into it.
White Mexicans with high status typically dont move. That's true, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.