Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM

20 posts, read 44,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A student visa would qualify you to work on the campus where you study, but not elsewhere.

It sounds like New York is best for you, but you are going to need money to stay there.
Thank you for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bagu
Many LAW STUDENTS work for LAW firms doing various background checks or writing BREIFS for the Attorneys. This would be an excellent place for you to check out. If a Law Firm wants you to work for them for a specific time period, they can SPONSER YOU, and you are in like Flynn.

Dear Respected Person Mr.Bagu, please tell me, HOW can l ENABLE to work in a Law Firm in US for a specific time period and WHO will sponser me? (This sentence is wrong, but l hope that you understood me) l can't have a (US)newspaper, l am in istanbul now. And l think that newspapers can't help me.
My English is very bad. l can write here with a dictonary but English is so difficult to speak for me. How can l take the job which in classified ads? l need to help. Maybe somebody in here help me about find a job. Do l cast beyond the moon?
l must allow that l want to be in NYC. But if l can't a job in NYC, l can go to another city.
l have a visa for TEN YEARS.
l actually want to work a law firm in US too. But l am hopeless about that. ohh l don't know what will l do l am sad because of that. How can l get out from this deadlock!? (Sorry, l am so negative now, it is not me, but there are too many problems, it's too bad!) .. with kind regards ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsblues1989
How old are you? Just wondering.
l am 28.
(Thank you for the information. Everything you said is very important.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Larger cities with operas, great restaurants, public transportation, and diversity that are cheaper than New York and Los Angeles:

Chicago
Minneapolis
Atlanta
Saint Louis
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco (might be just as expensive as Los Angeles )
Washington D.C.
Miami
Houston
Dallas

Might want to check out some of these cities if you want to save some $.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
By the way:

Radiohead's new album... WOW!

Old 03-20-2008, 08:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Ms Paranoid_Android; VISA for 10yrs? Do you mean a passport for 10 yrs? An American Passport is only valid for 10 yrs. An American VISA issued by an American Embassy is limited based upon the status requested. Student,work,Hardship maybe? Various reasons will mandate the days allowed to visit the US. Many people come here and overstay the time allowed and will have a BIG PROBLEM with the Imigration whenever they try to leave the country. They have to show the VISA issued and their Passport of origin. BIG TIME PROBLEM. You might try ENGLAND as it is a lot closer then US for studying ENGLISH. Have you talked with the AMERICAN EMBASSY? Being an attorney puts you HIGH on the LIST of acceptable visiters to US. N Y Times, Chicago Times,Los Angeles Times all have Classified ads where people advertise to eithier Buy, Sell,Rent, Help wanted,(looking for a specific person with certain credentials to fill a specific position in their company etc. You would almost have to be on the spot to phone (make appointment) or apply in person. It is very unlikly for a firm to hire someone unseen unless that person was highly recommended by someone they trusted. Bottom line is that you need to visit the area you wish to be in. Very few people MOVE to an unfamiliar area (country) without first visiting and checking out the job situation, climate, neighborhood, type of people. I went thru this procedure before moving from Canada to US ( Los Angeles Ca). We visited and then applied for Residency thru the Proper Channels. You will need MONEY to VISIT and at the same time check out the availability of a JOB position in your field. Gosh darn, do not know what else to suggest. You are young and I am sure you will achieve some goals. Regards, Stefhen

Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
There are such things as 10 year entry visas.

Classified newspaper ads are often available on the newspaper's website.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM

l was in Ankara. l've just arrived in istanbul. l'll write as soon as possible.. See you..

Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 AM

DannyBanany, thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
By the way:

Radiohead's new album... WOW!
l completely agree with you: WOW!

Quote:
VISA for 10yrs? Do you mean a passport for 10 yrs?
Yes, visa for ten years. It means "l can visit to US as a tourist for ten years without permision from American Embassy ."

Quote:
You might try ENGLAND as it is a lot closer then US for studying ENGLISH.
You're right; US is too far from Istanbul. it is daunting. But England is more expensive than US.

Quote:
Gosh darn, do not know what else to suggest.
Thank you very much for all your suggestions. l am glad to meet you Mr. Bagu. With my best regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747
Classified newspaper ads are often available on the newspaper's website.
Could you send me the links please?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:46 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android View Post
Could you send me the links please?
Sure! Here is one example: washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines Click "Jobs" on the top of the page, whih will take you here: Washington DC Area Jobs & Careers: Find Your Perfect Job, Search Now!

Many other papers put their ads online in a similar way. Here's another: Post a Job, Find a Job, Get Career Advice - The New York Times & Monster

Old 03-24-2008, 03:49 PM

dkf747, thank you. l have glanced to links. l am looking at the NY Times' ads now.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
If you actually have a ten year visa, then a good place to be is Boston. It has a great symphony orchestra, lots of theater -- it's dripping with culture.

The city next to Boston is Cambridge and it is home to Harvard and lots and lots of other great schools. Cambridge is largely composed of students, young and old -- it's friendly and a fun place to be. Maybe Harvard Law School could help you out with a job.

I see a lot of ESL classes going on in Cambridge too. there are colleges that offer ESL at night but they do not give you a degree, they simply teach you English. You might get a certificate if you complete the course, I don't know.

The entire Boston area is served by great public transportation and you can get anywhere easily. You're also near beautiful beaches, rivers, sailing.

Another smaller city that I know of not too far from Boston is Salem and I mention this because they have a college, Salem State College, that teaches ESL at night. It's also cheaper living and is connected by rail to everything else.

The bad side of Boston and Massachusetts in general is that it's as expensive as NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.