Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 02:08 PM

122 posts, read 129,510 times

Advertisements

Honestly any "it" city tends gets a lot of hate. Most of the hate for Denver is just on this forum. Outside of the internet I hear nothing but great things about Denver. I'm a full time uber driver so I talk to natives and transplants alike on the daily basis and people do really love it here and I believe it lives up to its reputation.

If you wanna talk about overrated, then Seattle is that city which gets praised to no end. Used to live there and it's nothing like it's cracked up to be.

Last edited by DenBronco8; 10-13-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Honestly any "it" city tends gets a lot of hate. Most of the hate for Denver is just on this forum. Outside of the internet I hear nothing but great things about Denver. I'm a full time uber driver so I talk to natives and transplants alike on the daily basis and people do really love it here and I believe it lives up to its reputation.

If you wanna talk about overrated, then Seattle is that city which gets praised to no end. Used to live there and it's nothing like it's cracked up to be.
Ehhh I've spent time in both cities. Seattle is on a completely different level than Denver.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:25 PM

47 posts, read 59,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I didn't know LA was stereotyped as being swanky.

If anything, I see the reverse problem where people think it's still like 1992 with high crime
Coming from a mid-sized midwestern metro (Milwaukee) and never having visited, my impression was (foolishly) that most people were involved in entertainment somehow and that metro's working class population wasn't in the city itself, or was very minimal. It only took me a couple days to realize how wrong my impression was.
Crime was never a big concern. In my experience, Chicago is the boogeyman for crime now. Milwaukee's proximity to Chicago no doubt perpetuates some of that, but then again Milwaukee itself has a worse crime rate than LA nowadays. From what I perceive, the only people who seem to think LA is still crime-riddled are CD posters and a small segment of people who visited LA in the 80s/90s and haven't been back since.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Ehhh I've spent time in both cities. Seattle is on a completely different level than Denver.
Wrong. Perfect example that a larger city doesn't mean the better city. As a matter of fact for being such a bigger city, denver still often gets compared to Seattle.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Wrong. Perfect example that a larger city doesn't mean the better city. As a matter of fact for being such a bigger city, denver still often gets compared to Seattle.
Homer level - expert

Old 10-13-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Homer level - expert
Not a homer. There are plenty of cities better then Denver. Philly, Boston, LA. Seattle is not one of them.

Last edited by DenBronco8; 10-13-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Maybe because of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Pictures like this are deceptive. Depending on the camera settings, mountains can look like they are immediately adjacent to the city and very high, when in fact that may not be the case at all.
It's not really fair to single Denver out for this. Most cities with mountains have a similar picture that make the mountains look much bigger/closer than in person. San Diego, LA, Seattle, Anchorage etc. Katzpur, you should know about deceptive pictures, because SLC does not look like this in person https://www.google.com/search?q=slc+...w=1366&bih=630

Denver has suburbs up against and in the mountains anyways, so I don't really see why it matters that the city core is a little farther away from them. If you come for mountains, you'll get mountains regardless

Last edited by Mezter; 10-13-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 03:15 PM

226 posts, read 302,902 times
Portland, Maine and Denver, Colorado.

I never really knew anything about Portland before visiting, but it completely blew me away. The beer and food culture is off the charts. And everyone was so nice. It has a very laid back, almost West-coast vibe.

I had high hopes for Denver, but found it's downtown to be very bland and generic. The rest of the city was a vast swath of suburbia. Chain restaurants ruled the landscape.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:24 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's not really fair to single Denver out for this. Most cities with mountains have a similar picture that make the mountains look much bigger/closer than in person. San Diego, LA, Seattle, Anchorage etc. Katzpur, you should know about deceptive pictures, because SLC does not look like this in person https://www.google.com/search?q=slc+...w=1366&bih=630

Denver has suburbs up against and in the mountains anyways, so I don't really see why it matters that the city core is a little farther away from them. If you come for mountains, you'll get mountains regardless
Wow. It sounds like I hit a nerve. I wasn't singling out Denver and I never even implied that none of the pictures out there of Salt Lake City aren't deceptive. As a matter of fact, when I posted what I did, I was actually thinking about some of the misleading pictures I've seen of Salt Lake City in the past. I've only been to Denver a couple of times, but I've lived in Salt Lake City all my life. Some of the pictures on that link very accurately portray Salt Lake City as it really looks, but many of them don't. I merely said what I did because people were talking about how Denver isn't as close to the mountains as they'd expected. They weren't talking about Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.