Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:48 AM

386 posts, read 1,687,477 times

Advertisements

How is the south different from the midwest? What are the biggest cultural differences? Is it more formal in the south? I've heard that people dress a lot nicer down, are a lot more polite, and more folksy than in the midwest. How true is that--especially with so many northerners moving to the south? I've also heard that dating is different in the south than the rest of the country--is that true? How so?

I grew up in the west, live in the midwest, but haven't spent a lot of time in the south (unless you consider Texas the south....and I don't). So....tell me all you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
See the other 1,294 threads related to this for the answer.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 AM

The problem is that they always devolve into big debates about the Confederate flag. Nobody ever answers the question because they're so obsessively fixated on the flag. So, maybe this is a tall order, but I'm asking people to explain the differences to me without reverting to civil war rhetoric. Anybody who can explain the differences without talking about race gets a gold star.....

Old 03-17-2008, 11:25 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,037,665 times
What part of 'the south' are you talking about? What part of 'the midwest' are you talking about? You do realize that there is a huge difference between rural Nebraska and Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods don't you? Just as there is a huge difference between rural Mississippi and Atlanta, Georgia. You just can't make sweeping generalizations about what it is like in such a large and varied region of the country.

If you were to ask me my opinions on the midwest, they'd be very different from someone from another part of the region as they've been almost entirely confined to urban chicago, but it is indeed the midwest just as much as rural Nebraska is 'the midwest', so before we go much further, I'm wondering what your perception of 'the midwest' is? Is it rural? Is it urban? How about the 'the south'?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,397,907 times
Oh well I guess I won't take this one too serious and I'll have a go.

I think the South is generally speaking, laid back, even moreso than the Midwest. The Midwests large farming culture also differentiates them from the South. (I know, there are some farms in the Deep South too...) Traditional cuisine is different as well.

As for friendliness, I think the South wins here. Personally, I do think of Texas as the south - and I thought it was more friendly than Iowa - though IA is very friendly. And if you don't consider TX part of the South - I guess you could say people in Kentucky and Tennesse, and most of South Carolina were very very friendly too whenever I visted. I think the Midwest is friendly, but its more reserved. More subtle about it and possibly tries not to be too invasive right off the bat .... this is a generalization but if you are going to describe a regions traditional "personality" .. if you will .. I guess you have to generalize.

Dress, I don't really know ... I never noticed much of a difference. (Excluding TX on that one... ) And especially in Metro areas, people generally dress the same IMO.

You also mentioned the Northerners moving South - But I think this is more people from the NE rather than the Midwest. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
What part of 'the south' are you talking about? What part of 'the midwest' are you talking about? You do realize that there is a huge difference between rural Nebraska and Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods don't you? Just as there is a huge difference between rural Mississippi and Atlanta, Georgia. You just can't make sweeping generalizations about what it is like in such a large and varied region of the country.

If you were to ask me my opinions on the midwest, they'd be very different from someone from another part of the region as they've been almost entirely confined to urban chicago, but it is indeed the midwest just as much as rural Nebraska is 'the midwest', so before we go much further, I'm wondering what your perception of 'the midwest' is? Is it rural? Is it urban? How about the 'the south'?
Yes, you're right. I'm talking about the south in general--but specifically TN, AL, GA, and the Carolinas. Wherever they drink sweet tea....that's what I'm talking about.

As far as the midwest goes....I'm talking MO, KS, IA, OH. Most cities are quite a bit alike. But you would agree that Chicago is way different from, say, Nashville or Birmingham, right? Atlanta's not a southern city so let's exclude that one. Otherwise...I think you catch my drift.

I don't know why people are so adverse to generalizing around here. Generalizations help us categorize knowledge and learn about the world around us. If you're a wise enough person, you can discern OVER-generalizing from good, hard observation.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Thanks metro. That's what I was looking for.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,037,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post

I don't know why people are so adverse to generalizing around here. Generalizations help us categorize knowledge and learn about the world around us. If you're a wise enough person, you can discern OVER-generalizing from good, hard observation.
Because after a lifetime of hearing statements about what 'Midwesterners" are supposedly like, it gets old.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Because after a lifetime of hearing statements about what 'Midwesterners" are supposedly like, it gets old.
It doesn't take too much wisdom to be able to discern general characteristics between two groups of people. There are certain "midwestern" traits that are pretty unique. There are sets of values unique to each reason. It's not hard to see that.....

Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,089,264 times
This is totally all about generalizations, I feel Midwesterners & Southerners have more lifestyle/ characteristic similarities that bond them more than say, Southerners to Northerners, or Southerners to West Coasters.
Southerners are more outright gregarious, Midwesterners may be more reserved but also less two-faced (many Southerners can be so friendly to your face then talk behind your back). The gossip-y, small-town way is more prevalent in both groups than Northerners or West Coasters, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.