Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
That wasn't quite my point. I was just saying that Denver is closer to a major mountain than Seattle. It's a whopping 150' lower than Rainier, but it's still a 14er.

Rainier dominates in prominence, though, and it's considerably more challenging to ascend than Evans (which can be mostly driven up from Memorial Day-Labor Day).
I think Denver is indeed closer to a major mountain than Seattle, as you point out. However, getting back to the OP's title "Best city/nature combo", I still will go with Seattle with the combination of mountains and water.

Though the OP never defined the "city" experience, I inferred that the OP was talking about density, which Seattle wins. If the OP was simply talking about nature "within" a city, then that is a whole other argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:59 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Greenville SC. 30 foot waterfall downtown, Blue Ridge mountains nearby.

Charleston SC, beach nearby.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:32 AM

373 posts, read 348,591 times
Albany New York ? Forests and rolling hills and rivers in every direction from downtown . Surrounded by the berkshire mountains the cattskill mountains and 45 minutes north you are in the beautiful adirodacks

Old 10-14-2017, 07:47 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Honestly, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't like having nature intertwined with the city I'm living in. As long as there are a few forest preserves and parks, that's fine by me. I actively dislike the aesthetic a lot of Western cities like Seattle and Denver have where there's very visible mountain scenery just outside the metropolis. To me it kind of says "ha ha, humans, you can build up all you want but this will always be superior".

I prefer the more grimy, concrete-jungle aesthetic - maybe you can travel a couple counties out to get a nature fix, but you're not surrounded by it. I like the feeling of our species having completely bulldozed over and transformed the land into something alien. I grew up in the city of Chicago and went to preschool in a 21-story tower in the Loop - I guess it made its impression early.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
How urban does the city have to be?

Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Salt Lake City. The metro area has a population of 1.2 million. It has all of the amenities of a bigger city except for the presence of an NFL team and a major league baseball team. And when it comes to nature, the Wasatch Mountains are literally 30 -35 minutes from the airport.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Birmingham
New Orleans

Old 10-14-2017, 11:07 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Birmingham
New Orleans
This is a joke right? Neither these cities are very outdoorsy at all and both aren't near mountains. I mean Birmingham is near some hills, but NOLA great as it is, isn't even near those.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
SLC.

I think SLC is what alot of people imagine Denver to look like. There isn't a better city for skiing and the city is literally built up to the side of serious mountains. Southern Utah has some of the coolest landscapes and you aren't that far (comparatively) from the Grand Tetons or Yellowstone either.

City wise, for a western metro just over a million, SLC has pretty good transit and (streetcar) urbanism.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:58 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This is a joke right? Neither these cities are very outdoorsy at all and both aren't near mountains. I mean Birmingham is near some hills, but NOLA great as it is, isn't even near those.
Lol why? Birmingham is very outdoorsy and so is New Orleans.

“Birmingham, known as the Magic City, is the largest city in Alabama and is a treasure trove of outdoor gems for people that are passionate about reconnecting with nature in an otherwise urban landscape. There are beautiful routes for trail running, hiking, and mountain biking.”

Didn’t know “outdoorsy” only meant that a City was to be surrounded by mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.