Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM

27 posts, read 18,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Have you considered Salt Lake City? Lots of people are finding it to be exactly what they've been looking for.
I've looked into it a bit, just some job and home searching on CraigsList though. I've been using that as a good basis to see how different areas compare.

I got my current job off CraigsList, but never found any rental places on there. There's probably some shady deals lurking around haha

The mountains look really good for snowboarding, but IDK how dry the area is.

I've been do Arizona which was actually pretty nice looking up North towards the Grand Canyon. Super dry place. 115F there feels like 90F in NJ. I'd imagine Utah doesn't get as hot though, but IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree plus would include the Provo, Ogden and Logan areas as well.
Thanks for giving me those areas, IDK where to look really. I wouldn't wanna live right in the center of the city cause I'd feel a little trapped there, but it's hard to say what is a nice area without visiting for yourself.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I personally would not suggest Utah County (i.e. Provo, Orem) for non-LDS people as the ratio of Mormons to non-Mormons is extremely high. That's not so much the case in Salt Lake or Ogden.
I would have never thought of that being an issue haha thanks for letting me know though, definitely not into that kinda stuff. I guess that's like Lakewood, NJ with a huge population of Hasidic Jews. They can do their thing, but I don't think I'd fit in there very well.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,344,184 times
If you are interested in a smaller urban city when compared to larger Denver, Portland or Seattle, and that has "the outdoors" right in city limits and surrounded by awesome outdoors and wilderness check out Boise, the city is an outdoor lovers paradise. Depending on the time of year, after work you can go night skiing within a half hours drive, golf, kayak or float the rivers in the area, cycle on world class singletrack in the Foothills or cycle the Boise River Greenbelt along a trout river and shaded by an urban forest of Cottonwoods.

It is a tech city, but the competition to land a tech job can be a challenge because so many people are moving here and looking for work.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
If you are interested in a smaller urban city when compared to larger Denver, Portland or Seattle, and that has "the outdoors" right in city limits and surrounded by awesome outdoors and wilderness check out Boise, the city is an outdoor lovers paradise. Depending on the time of year, after work you can go night skiing within a half hours drive, golf, kayak or float the rivers in the area, cycle on world class singletrack in the Foothills or cycle the Boise River Greenbelt along a trout river and shaded by an urban forest of Cottonwoods.

It is a tech city, but the competition to land a tech job can be a challenge because so many people are moving here and looking for work.
Wow, thanks. I didn't really think there would be much going on in Idaho besides potatoes (just kidding) haha I always thought that Northern area of the US was pretty, but didn't think anyone actually lived there. I'll add that to my list of places to check out.

The only thing I find strange about the cities out West is that it seems like there's civilization and then vast nothingness and then more civilization and then more nothingness. It's very different compared to where I live in NJ where there are houses sprinkled all throughout the state. When I visited Arizona there was Maricopa, then nothing, then Phoenix then nothing, then Flagstaff... you get the idea I liked it there, but there's was no vegetation. There were also no mosquitoes though which was nice. Bugs in NJ are crazy from May until like November.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,344,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzupp View Post
Wow, thanks. I didn't really think there would be much going on in Idaho besides potatoes (just kidding) haha I always thought that Northern area of the US was pretty, but didn't think anyone actually lived there. I'll add that to my list of places to check out.

The only thing I find strange about the cities out West is that it seems like there's civilization and then vast nothingness and then more civilization and then more nothingness. It's very different compared to where I live in NJ where there are houses sprinkled all throughout the state. When I visited Arizona there was Maricopa, then nothing, then Phoenix then nothing, then Flagstaff... you get the idea I liked it there, but there's was no vegetation. There were also no mosquitoes though which was nice. Bugs in NJ are crazy from May until like November.
Check Boise out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Idaho feeds the world but is also a state with the most pristine alpine wilderness in the Lower 48 and is a state with exquisite mountains and desert scenery and if you love rivers this state has the most miles of whitewater in the L48.

Isolation is the name of the game in the west. Boise is isolated, Salt Lake is isolated, Denver is isolated, etc.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:37 PM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY would/could fit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tech_Valley

Tech Valley
Given that you mentioned smaller towns, Ballston Spa may be a place to look into. It is a walkable village that is only 3 miles from Saratoga Springs. Day Trip to Ballston Spa, Just North of Saratoga Springs, NY

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-New-York.html

https://www.villageofballstonspa.org.../downtown.html

Down the road: Saratoga Performing Arts Center

May find more here: The Alt - The Capital Region's Alternative Newsweekly

Web development info in the area: https://www.thumbtack.com/ny/albany/web-design/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.