Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM

15 posts, read 12,361 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My partner and I live in Ithaca, NY and hate it. We moved from Akron, OH which we enjoyed quite a bit. Ithaca is too small, too expensive, too isolated, and to University-centric (as a start to our whining haha).

Anyway, we've been brainstorming where to move. Factors include: Proximity to family and friends; job/school prospects (I might go back to school for another degree if can't find good work); cost of living; public transportation; airfare prices . Pretty much in that order of priority. Sense of community, good weather, and environmentally-friendly (good hiking, etc.) are nice bonuses.

Right now, we are heavily considering Akron, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nashville, and DC. Others sort of "on the radar" include Louisville, Chicago, and St. Louis (maybe Charlotte).

We aren't trying to move too far away from friends and family (mine is Indiana and hers is Ohio), so basically anything west of the Mississippi or south of Tennessee is likely out.

We have no kids, and likely won't. She is an accomplished professional, while I have little experience (but military and master's degree).

I was hoping to get some general advice so that I can do some more research. Right now, I'm trying to "triangulate" based on Cost of living, public trans, and airfare prices. I was hoping to get some more insight from all of you.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: I attached a map of the area!
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for city and region advice (East of Mississippi River; Tennessee and North)-living-map-2.png   Looking for city and region advice (East of Mississippi River; Tennessee and North)-living-map-narrowed.png  

Last edited by marxr87; 10-29-2017 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Louisville is a truly underrated, gem of a city. Sure I’m a bit of a “homer” being I was born & raised in the area, but I do believe what I say.

For a city/metro of its size, the cost of living is amazing. Average price of a 1 bedroom around $700-$775, while a 2 bedroom is typically $850-$900. Then you have Southern Indiana which is even cheaper but still urban if that’s what you like, such as New Albany, IN. You would obviously be close to Indiana & Ohio, and Louisville Airport (SDF) is expanding every year.

Tons of hiking opportunities, parks, etc...People in Louisville tend to be on the nicer side, and community is huge especially in areas like The Highlands, And East End. It’s a safe city as well, most crime is concentrated in the “West End”, avoid this area and there’s little to worry about.

The weather factor is good or bad depending how you see it. Sure, it’s hot & humid in the summer, but there’s definitely “4 seasons”, and you also avoid more harsh winters such as places like a Chicago, Cleveland, etc...

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 10-29-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Ya I'm trying to sell it to my partner. I'm from Evansville, which is about 90 min west of Louisville. She is from Cleveland, so a bit further for her.

She doesn't love Cincinnati, but is leaning towards it because she has friends and a house which she rents there.

I'd like to take her to visit there and Nashville soon!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxr87 View Post
Ya I'm trying to sell it to my partner. I'm from Evansville, which is about 90 min west of Louisville. She is from Cleveland, so a bit further for her.

I'd like to take her to visit there and Nashville soon!
Nashville is a cool place as well, I lived about 30 minutes south of Nashville near Franklin, TN for about a year. It has great night life if that’s of interest, but rent is steadily on the rise, as is the city as a whole.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:31 PM

What is the traffic like in Nashville and Louisville? Every time I've driven through Nashville it has been pretty hellish. Louisville seems much better now that they have finished much of the highway construction.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
What is the traffic like in Nashville and Louisville? Every time I've driven through Nashville it has been pretty hellish. Louisville seems much better now that they have finished much of the highway construction.
I haven’t been to Nashville since I left around 3/4 years ago, but while I was there, it was simply terrible. And with city continuing to grow, I’d imagine it’s still somewhat rough.

Louisville IMO doesn’t really have traffic. I mean it’s slower during “rush hour” but we are talking like 10-20 minute delays at the most. As you said, with the bridge & construction done, it’s way better

Old 10-29-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the information!

We're both interested in refugee resettlement and noticed Louisville is considered a Welcoming City (friendly to immigrants refugees). Do you know much about that?

The cost of living seems pretty good in Louisville, but there is basically no public transportation right?

Know anything about Louisville flight?

Sorry for the barrage of questions!

Old 10-29-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:

We're both interested in refugee resettlement and noticed Louisville is considered a Welcoming City (friendly to immigrants refugees). Do you know much about that?

The cost of living seems pretty good in Louisville, but there is basically no public transportation right?

I don’t know a lot as far as the “refugee status”. I actually have lived in California for the last 2 years, but my parents & family are still in Louisville. I visit at least 3-5 times per year, and am actually going home for Thanksgiving.

Louisville does lack “major” public transit as far as something like a subway or train. But of course it has bus systems that go everywhere throughout the city.

As far as flights, what specifically do you mean? Most airlines fly in & out of SDF (Louisville airport), and to me flights are reasonably priced.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:

Louisville has SIGNIFICANTLY less traffic than Nashville, and is much cheaper. There's no comparisons on those accounts. Louisville does have public transit, just not rail. Nashville has more buzz, much more population growth, and thus many of the headaches that go with that.

https://www.ridetarc.org/

Downtown, the Zerobus is FREE and runs a very nice route along main, market, and 4th every 15 mins or so. There is even an app to track the bus' location. This service is extremely underutilized. Folks living in Butchertown could take this service to work daily free!

Louisville also has an awesome bikehshare:
https://louvelo.com/
For $15/month, it can be used as effectively a commuter set up for anyone living in downtown or Old Louisville. (most cities have something similar now)

Louisville is a huge up and coming city for immigrants, with much of its population growth (for now) coming from immigrants. By 2040, 1/6 Louisvillians will be immigrants. The video below speaks volumes about what a welcoming city we are:

https://www.facebook.com/MayorGregFi...2948465069444/

https://kyrm.org/

The above organization has done wonders for refugees!

Old 10-29-2017, 10:39 PM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Should of went with Rochester, Buffalo, Albany or even Syracuse instead if you were going to move to Upstate NY. All are bigger and more affordable areas. Given the refugee resettlement aspect, that is even more reason why you probably should have looked into those areas instead. Refugees weaving into upstate N.Y.'s changing economy | Innovation Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.