Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, I think people use the hip-hop/r&b thing as a crutch. Meaning, it seems to be the first thing said people run to when they feel they are being questioned about their authenticity.

What you said reminds me of this powerful book that is out right now: Brainwashed

It actually goes much deeper into how people can be brainwashed without realizing it and how said people feed into the stereotypical views, one way or another. This author was interviewed on a radio show here in Syracuse and explained the book and I can totally se what he was getting at.

BTW-This is the show and comes on Sunday mornings at 9 AM here: POWER 106.9 - Today's R&B 'n' Old Skool
I actually saw that book the other day being featured on the African American Literary Book Club's website. I've actually been meaning to pick it up.

And I agree with the idea that the Hip-Hop thing is a crutch. It's basically just a strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SexiiLioness23 View Post
I am in total agreeance with you. I am in the same situation, young, black female trapped in Orange County, CA surrounded by no diversity and no blacks!! I hate it here and I am trying to decide what state and city to move as well. U hit the nail on the head when u said "we" r invisible to the black man...the Cali black men r so white washed anyway...it's unattractive..no offense to anyone. Just my 2 cents...
no diversity in Orange County??? I realize that blacks are probably the smallest racial group here, but let's not make such false exaggerated claims.

IMO, blacks accused of being "whitewashed" could actually be subject to more discrimination and adversity than those who purport to be "genuine". Because not only are they resented by many of their fellow AA's, they still face the same struggles any black person does in white America. And as if trying to get ahead in life wasn't hard enough, imagine dealing with it when there are racial and/or economic obstacles in the way.

That said, you SoCal ladies don't even need to venture far to find what you're looking for: Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

I feel for the original poster....I was born in raised in Prince George's county, md and have been around black ppl my whole life....I cant imagine growing up any way else bc I've always felt comfortable in my community...You would fit right in bc there's all classes of living here and plenty opportunity to do whatever you want ...no discrimination, no bias or prejudices.....I had to leave pg to go to school in Baltimore to get familiar with folks other than black ppl so I am on the other extreme as you

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Atlanta hands down.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I frankly would stick with the East coast cities: NY, Philly, and especially DC.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:48 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I feel for the original poster....I was born in raised in Prince George's county, md and have been around black ppl my whole life....I cant imagine growing up any way else bc I've always felt comfortable in my community...You would fit right in bc there's all classes of living here and plenty opportunity to do whatever you want ...no discrimination, no bias or prejudices.....I had to leave pg to go to school in Baltimore to get familiar with folks other than black ppl so I am on the other extreme as you
I know what you mean, if only separate but equal was still the law of the land right?
Then no one would have to suffer discrimination, or bias or prejudices....um, except from their own race.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Sista Honey Chilie,

I am sorry that you are not content in San Diego and hope you do find a place where you will not only connect with other like-minded blacks, but enjoy other aspects of that place as well. I honestly believe once you do find a city, everything will fall into place in due time.

I was surprised the SD does not have a sizeable middle class, especially with the large military prescence there. I was in that area on and off back in the early to mid-eighties due to military service and I saw a sizeable, but not large black population. Then again, a lot can change in 20+ years.

As for cities, looks like everyone nailed it, especially with Houston and Atlanta. I have several relatives in both cities who are living comfortably and are very happy. Atlanta is still a rapidly growing and diverse area and is nothing like it was even 10-15 years ago. I think you will like it there.

I just left the Washington, DC area after living there for 7 years and have moved to PA just above Baltimore. As also mentioned by someone, the DC area has a very large black middle class, especially in PG and Montgomery Counties, and to a somewhat lesser degree in the NOVA suburbs. From my personal experience, it can be very hard to meet and connect with people in the area, as it is very transient and work oriented. It just seems to be an anti-social environment, but with some work, you will make friends. On the same token, you will never feel out of place there.

Chicago is also nice, but as stated, very cold. Have you also considered the L.A. area?

Good luck whatever your decision.
I know this is old, but San Diego also has more Black males than Black females due to the large military presence, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, the metro median household income for Blacks is slightly under $50,000. Not too bad considering that the national figure is only about $4000 higher, but COL has to be considered. So, there has to be some degree of a Black middle class in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.