Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 08:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times

Advertisements

What part of the US is least prone to the mentality of keeping up with the Jones and are least likely to judge others based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the phones rhey own, etc. I think all 50 states are at least somewhat prone to this but not all equally. I personally think this is less prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest. What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
People are people. You can find that status is important in the very smallest of towns, and people to whom it's not important in the largest of cities. If you're trying to stereotype, you can't.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 AM

11,071 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What part of the US is least prone to the mentality of keeping up with the Jones and are least likely to judge others based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the phones rhey own, etc. ....I personally think this is less prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest. What do you think?
It seems noticeable to me in the PNW, especially CA. The midwest that I've seen may not compare homes and phones and stuff, but there is much of sameness to natives, and a tendency to single out people who are different (different colors, different cultures, different accents). I've seen plenty of superficiality in those regions. Also in CO (partly because of the midwest connection).

I'd think smaller towns in the south, and small / medium-sized towns with diverse cultures, would have the lowest superficiality, in general.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It seems noticeable to me in the PNW, especially CA. The midwest that I've seen may not compare homes and phones and stuff, but there is much of sameness to natives, and a tendency to single out people who are different (different colors, different cultures, different accents). I've seen plenty of superficiality in those regions. Also in CO (partly because of the midwest connection).

I'd think smaller towns in the south, and small / medium-sized towns with diverse cultures, would have the lowest superficiality, in general.
Clearly, you know...not much. There is a lot of comparing of homes, phones, and stuff, in the Midwest, and everywhere. You are, basically, trying to call those in the Midwest, ignorant of those of color, different cultures, and different accents. There is plenty of diversity in the Midwest, and your stereotyping is really nothing but ignorance.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
People are people. You can find that status is important in the very smallest of towns, and people to whom it's not important in the largest of cities. If you're trying to stereotype, you can't.
Yeah you can.

I get your point that you will find "superficial" everywhere, even in the smallest towns. But the amount of it does vary from region to region and even from town to town.

Take Long Island for instance. There is definitely more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" in Nassau County then Suffolk in general and also on the North Shore versus the South Shore (with the notable exception of the Hamptons). The South Shore of Suffolk like in the Towns of Babylon and Islip is generally more laid back while other parts of the Island you have to keep your lawn just perfect, otherwise what the neighbors think?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah you can.

I get your point that you will find "superficial" everywhere, even in the smallest towns. But the amount of it does vary from region to region and even from town to town.

Take Long Island for instance. There is definitely more of a "keeping up with the Joneses" in Nassau County then Suffolk in general and also on the North Shore versus the South Shore (with the notable exception of the Hamptons). The South Shore of Suffolk like in the Towns of Babylon and Islip is generally more laid back while other parts of the Island you have to keep your lawn just perfect, otherwise what the neighbors think?
You can't stereotype an entire region, and your example is a good illustration of that.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You can't stereotype an entire region, and your example is a good illustration of that.
You could still probably argue that XYZ region in general has more superficiality then ABC region. But of course like you say, no one region is completely superficial.

For instance in the Northeast, Upstate, Pennsylvania and Maine probably have less superficiality overall then the wealthy areas of the NYC, Boston and Washington DC metros. And not everyone in those metros would I describe as superficial. But even so, you could still say that the Northeast in general still has more superficiality then say the Great Plains.

Obviously that is just my opinion, there is no superficiality measuring kit out there lol.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,945 times
Given its size, I was surprised at how Austin, TX didn't really feel superficial at all. Atlanta definitely is superficial.

As a whole though, my vote would probably go to the Rust Belt.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Allow me to add Louisiana to the "least superficial" list. When me and my friends road-tripped to New Orleans, everybody seemed so laid-back and friendly. Now, we clearly looked like we weren't from around there: talking in a Chicago dialect, asking questions that'd be common sense to locals (food, local customs, etc.), wearing non-seasonal clothes, and not looking wealthy, either. But no one cared; we felt genuinely welcomed. Even at a rural gas station outside of Baton Rouge, the guy behind the counter seemed genuinely interested in Chicago, when he saw the Illinois plates on our car.

Now, I'm aware that friendly != safe. We still had to keep our wits about us. But the "come as you are" vibe was incredibly nice.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:50 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I think the pattern is more closely related to population density rather than regions.

Portlanders (Oregon), may be somewhat less status conscious than NYC residents, but 1-2 hours outside NYC in the forested and farm environs, the average person would probably call the average Portlander a dandy of fashion running the rat-race.

Basically two hours or less outside any city, whether in the PNW, Midwest, or NY-NJ, you are going to find people in Carhartts, sweatpants, and work boots. Or worse... juggalos. :-)

(actually, are juggalos even a thing anymore?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.