Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm trying this again. I'm looking for information on what these cities are like for college students - graduate and undergrad students. I'm aware they're not all traditional college towns.

This is not a "vs" thread or what's a college town or not, nor am I looking for school advice, I'm just pretty curious about the aspects of these cities. Location, jobs and local economy, COL, food, people, social and events, transportation, recreation, etc, etc. What are your likes and dislikes? Do they offer good opportunities?

Durham and Duke is the only city and campus I've ever actually visited, though I have been to TX, IL, and FL.

- Ann Arbor, MI (UM)
- Gainesville, FL (UF)
- South Bend, IN (ND)
- Champaign, IL (UI)
- Tempe, AZ (ASU)
- New Orleans, LA (Tulane)
- Winston Salem, NC (Wake)
- College Station, TX (TAMU)
- Durham, NC (Duke)
- Boston, MA (BU)

I surely will not be applying to all these schools and the list may change down the road as I continue to research programs, but I'd still just to like to get some info anyway.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the program involved, if there is one?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 PM

Business school.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Once you get away from U of I, Champaign is kind of ghetto...and in the middle of nowhere. Decatur is nearby, but that's even more ghetto and more rundown. Not really a place to hang out.

Not too sure about the other cities, but I've heard Ann Arbor is really nice, and even though it has been a while since I've been in South Bend, if I remember correctly it was a nice town and the ND campus is amazing. It's really nice.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:41 AM

Ann Arbor is a pretty vibrant and quite “liberal” city. Its close proximity to Detroit allows for more options in regards to the things listed as well.

Also, just to throw another school out there: https://whitman.syr.edu

Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Once you get away from U of I, Champaign is kind of ghetto...and in the middle of nowhere. Decatur is nearby, but that's even more ghetto and more rundown. Not really a place to hang out.

Not too sure about the other cities, but I've heard Ann Arbor is really nice, and even though it has been a while since I've been in South Bend, if I remember correctly it was a nice town and the ND campus is amazing. It's really nice.
What about Urbana? I’ve heard the opposite about South Bend, but it likely varies like most cities.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Okay, I'm trying this again. I'm looking for information on what these cities are like for college students - graduate and undergrad students. I'm aware they're not all traditional college towns.

This is not a "vs" thread or what's a college town or not, nor am I looking for school advice, I'm just pretty curious about the aspects of these cities. Location, jobs and local economy, COL, food, people, social and events, transportation, recreation, etc, etc. What are your likes and dislikes? Do they offer good opportunities?

Durham and Duke is the only city and campus I've ever actually visited, though I have been to TX, IL, and FL.

- Ann Arbor, MI (UM)
- Gainesville, FL (UF)
- South Bend, IN (ND)
- Champaign, IL (UI)
- Tempe, AZ (ASU)
- New Orleans, LA (Tulane)
- Winston Salem, NC (Wake)
- College Station, TX (TAMU)
- Durham, NC (Duke)
- Boston, MA (BU)

I surely will not be applying to all these schools and the list may change down the road as I continue to research programs, but I'd still just to like to get some info anyway.

Thanks!
I can speak to Winston Salem and say it's probably one of the more overlooked cities in the US given how much it does provide at a cost of living well below most of your options. It's location is a benefit given it's already a city of around 250K located less than 30 minutes from another city of 280K (Greensboro) and an hour/ninety minutes Durham (also about 280K), Raleigh (450K) and Charlotte (850K). Winston Salem has an industrial/manufacturing background mostly commonly associated with tobacco production but in the past 15-20 years has evolved into an economy moving more in the way of medical, biomedical and tech with a revitalized downtown area as well. The food scene is about what one would expect of it's population size and is evolving with more trendy options (farm to table, chef-owned operations). Winston Salem is well known for it's artsy vibe and if inclined a good city for exploring varying venues/events. In terms of people I find it very friendly/welcoming and lacking in the pretense found in Durham at Duke for example which is known for drawing from the prep schools in the Northeast US. There can be a bit of that WFU but more from the Southeast and much more tolerable. Recreational opportunity is outstanding with the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains less than an hour away and in town lots of greenspace for running, cycling, etc.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:55 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,788 times
If you like big cities and don't mind the cold, Boston is a standout. Jam packed with students from many colleges, a youthful vibe, and full of history and culture. There's no end of things to do (this can be a distraction if you want to hit the books and study dutifully).

Tempe is one of the more attractive towns in Arizona, with a downtown that actually is walkable and appealing. All with palms, but murderously hot in the summer. (never do a summer session). ASU is rather bland in looks, though.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:17 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

Having relatives that go to U of I and visited, I would say this is really dead wrong about Champaign. And one of them is in the Business School now. Downtown Champaign is actually really nice, and has some great restaurants. We were there last week and the restaurants were packed, and they are all pretty charming. Urbana next door is also nice, more funky and interesting. Brick streets and pretty homes near the campus. It is 2 hours south of Chicago, so it is far, but not that far, from the big city.

South Bend near the campus is nice, South Bend has rougher areas in town that have seen better days, but those are not located near the campus. And Anne Arbor is nice, one of the nicer areas of Detroit.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanks so far. Bumping up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.