Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not surprised at many of these answers as many people think society was better when everyone "knew their place."
Exactly. Most white conservatives view blacks as subhuman and needing to be controlled like animals, which is why most of them can’t stand it when us “lowly negroes” get out of line and long for the days where we could be silenced either by lynching or shooting us. Goes a long way towards explaining why they’re so virulent with their reaction towards the NFL players kneeling. It smacks of “you ungrateful nigs should be happy we’re allowing you to play.” Usually when they talk about the good ole days, this attitude plays a major factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Exactly. Most white conservatives view blacks as subhuman and needing to be controlled like animals, which is why most of them can’t stand it when us “lowly negroes” get out of line and long for the days where we could be silenced either by lynching or shooting us. Goes a long way towards explaining why they’re so virulent with their reaction towards the NFL players kneeling. It smacks of “you ungrateful nigs should be happy we’re allowing you to play.” Usually when they talk about the good ole days, this attitude plays a major factor.
Bingo.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The internet was actually a 20th century invention and lots of people had access to it by the mid-80s.
Yes a primitive form of the internet did exist in the 1980s. It however was really more of a connection between government agencies, colleges and other institutions, as it had been since the 1960s when it was created. Serious tech nerds did access it but most did not know it existed. In the 1980s I was completely ignorant of its existence. Really the internet as we know it was developed in the mid 1990s. The developments of the 1990s are the ones that changed our world bringing about the birth of the digital age. It is shocking how much this new technology has changed our world in the past 20 plus years. The smart phone I have today would look like Star Trek technology to a person 30 years ago but now it is an everyday item.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
FWIW the 80s and 90s had better sneakers than the 21st Century.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:59 PM

1,023 posts, read 911,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
FWIW the 80s and 90s had better sneakers than the 21st Century.
BY FAR. So much so that kids are still standing in line to buy shoes from that era.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:55 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes a primitive form of the internet did exist in the 1980s. It however was really more of a connection between government agencies, colleges and other institutions, as it had been since the 1960s when it was created. Serious tech nerds did access it but most did not know it existed. In the 1980s I was completely ignorant of its existence. Really the internet as we know it was developed in the mid 1990s. The developments of the 1990s are the ones that changed our world bringing about the birth of the digital age. It is shocking how much this new technology has changed our world in the past 20 plus years. The smart phone I have today would look like Star Trek technology to a person 30 years ago but now it is an everyday item.
Thanks but I know all of this although some posters may not. My computing/IT career started in 1970 and lasted until I retired in 2012. I worked on just about every computer that existed during those years from IBM mainframes, to DEC and HP minicomputers, to Dell servers in server, network and database administration.

Because of my career very few of our tech advances have been really surprising or shocking to me but were virtually expected. AI? Robotics? Lots of speculative fiction emphasized those things decades ago.

My first exposure to networking was on a system running/accessing the arpanet in 1974. I had email by around 1985 and was using and participating in usenet newsgroup sometime after that.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Thanks but I know all of this although some posters may not. My computing/IT career started in 1970 and lasted until I retired in 2012. I worked on just about every computer that existed during those years from IBM mainframes, to DEC and HP minicomputers, to Dell servers in server, network and database administration.

Because of my career very few of our tech advances have been really surprising or shocking to me but were virtually expected. AI? Robotics? Lots of speculative fiction emphasized those things decades ago.

My first exposure to networking was on a system running/accessing the arpanet in 1974. I had email by around 1985 and was using and participating in usenet newsgroup sometime after that.
Sorry....I yield to your wealth of knowledge and experience as a decades long IT career. I am sure my post came off as a “captain obvious” type of post, I must have missed the fact that you were in IT. There are however a lot of young posters in here who don’t know this basic tech history and just take for granted that it has always been here for them.

Through my life I’ve watched us go from tvs with knobs and antennas to remotes, smart TVs, and DVRs. I have watched phones go from dialing corded types to this fancy smanchy smart phone I’m using now. I’ve watched the world go from newspapers, encyclopedias and books to most of the knowledge of humanity at the top of a finger. I watched computers show up as clumsy oversized calculators and become the sophisticated internet capable machines that dominate our lives both professionally and in our private use. Cars have gone from basic gas engine tanks to sophisticated efficient machines perfected by digital and computer technology. The millenial generation and younger just does not understand how much all this changed our lives. My son saw an old pay phone and asked me what it was. Some of these technologies have vastly improved our lives but the societal problems generated by an easier technology assisted/dependent life are far from an improvement. Personally I prefer much of the older way of life, especially the older values.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Sorry....I yield to your wealth of knowledge and experience as a decades long IT career. I am sure my post came off as a “captain obvious” type of post, I must have missed the fact that you were in IT. There are however a lot of young posters in here who don’t know this basic tech history and just take for granted that it has always been here for them.

Through my life I’ve watched us go from tvs with knobs and antennas to remotes, smart TVs, and DVRs. I have watched phones go from dialing corded types to this fancy smanchy smart phone I’m using now. I’ve watched the world go from newspapers, encyclopedias and books to most of the knowledge of humanity at the top of a finger. I watched computers show up as clumsy oversized calculators and become the sophisticated internet capable machines that dominate our lives both professionally and in our private use. Cars have gone from basic gas engine tanks to sophisticated efficient machines perfected by digital and computer technology. The millenial generation and younger just does not understand how much all this changed our lives. My son saw an old pay phone and asked me what it was. Some of these technologies have vastly improved our lives but the societal problems generated by an easier technology assisted/dependent life are far from an improvement. Personally I prefer much of the older way of life, especially the older values.
Adjusting to new technologies has been a problem for some people ever since the birth of the Industrial Revolution. I'm sure you've heard of the Luddites. I'm often baffled about why some people feel threaten by change or try to halt it. I'm certain that when Bell displayed his telephone device at the Centennial in 1876, few thought it had much value or would benefit them in any way.

My sister is a lot like you. She's "stuck" in about 1965. We've had some pretty interesting talks about it.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 AM

423 posts, read 186,471 times
Think about something guys. Change is normal, that's true. But it used to take centuries for such radical changes to happen in culture, society and human behavior. People could adapt to those changes gradually. Now we get to experience 100-year worth of changes in a decade's timespan. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that this just can't be healthy.

I’m exactly 30 years old, I was born in 1987 so I grew up in the very last moments before the internet and the cell-phone culture took off worldwidely. I’m in an exceptional sociological standpoint regarding this topic because I also have a sister who is exactly 10 years younger than me. I can say this wthout the slightest exaggeration, the world went through a total and absolute metamorphosis in 10 years from around 2002 to 2012.

Here’s a little example that will shed a light to the behavioral changes of people within this 10-year timespan. Both me and my younger sister went to the same school. In my early high-school years in 1999-2000, when the bell rang, we always ran down to the courtyard to play ball or just goof around in groups, smoke cigs, chat about girls, etc. Fast forward 10 years, the bell rings in my sister’s classroom and everyone freezes in their seat, takes out their smartphone and does their isolated little thing – the classroom is in complete silence, everyone is typing on their phone like cyborgs in a dystopian movie. Don’t freaking tell me that this is normal and young guys and girls in full of their potential should behave like this!

Sometimes, I half-jokingly think that the real world had been replaced with a very similar, but fake one somewhere in the 2000s. Of course, it’s just the exponential nature of technological developement and it can be hard for a generation that grows up in exactly the middle of a world-changing turning point. For those who were born in the 80s, this sudden change can be incredibly difficult to adapt. I personally adapted successfully, I have a lot going for me and still I catch myself from time-to-time thinking that this all is just a big theater and nothing makes sense anymore.
I’m convinced that this is the reason why millions of my generation got hooked on heroin, causing this opiate-epidemic. They try to stay in a familiar comfortable bubble that is in reality long gone and never coming back.

Old 11-24-2017, 11:45 AM

Well, we are woefully deficient in conquering something I was naive enough to believe we would be further along with by now: space flight.

I stupidly thought, 40 or so years, that we would have colonies of some kind on the Moon, real space stations, and enough propulsion power to make the leap to Mars.

As it is right now, I don't think any humans will ever set foot on Mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.