Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Boston right now. It's a great town and I've lived here my whole life. However I can't live the lifestyle that I want at all on my income. I am looking for a place where I could afford a nice place on my own in a popular part of the city. I don't care if it's a "boring" city as long as I can live in an active neighborhood.

Safety is also very important to me. I don't mind living in a transitional neighborhood, but I don't want to live in an extremely stratified city where my neighbors are living in squalor.

Having friendly, personable folk in town is also a top priority and something that is seriously lacking over here.

Pittsburgh is a city that is really appealing to me based on my critera, however I've never been out there myself. Is it colder than Boston? I know that the city has come a long way recently, is it a good place to live with friendly neighbors ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Leave out the high COL and popular places, and you'll be set.

So no:
LA
SF
SD
Seattle
Portland
Denver
Austin
NY
Boston
DC
etc. etc.

You could *possibly* make Chicago work.

That leaves everywhere else.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:31 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
If you don't have alot of student loans or something Chicago would be totally doable on that, even if you did have student loans I know people living there on a little less.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:50 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Leave out the high COL and popular places, and you'll be set.

So no:
LA
SF
SD
Seattle
Portland
Denver
Austin
NY
Boston
DC
etc. etc.

You could *possibly* make Chicago work.

That leaves everywhere else.
I'm pretty sure $65K could work in the bolded cities if we're talking renting. Owning would most likely eliminate those cities.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:56 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Perhaps Philadelphia could work as well.

What else are you looking for?

Old 12-04-2017, 05:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I'm pretty sure $65K could work in the bolded cities if we're talking renting. Owning would most likely eliminate those cities.
In Denver, not a "nice place on my own in one of the popular parts of town", at least not as comfortably as OP implies.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:09 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Philadelphia could work as well.

What else are you looking for?
philly was on my list but it seems like pittsburgh is (a) cheaper (2) safer (3) friendlier which is why i ruled it out.

i want to be someplace urban and ideally warmer than Boston

Old 12-04-2017, 05:23 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
philly was on my list but it seems like pittsburgh is (a) cheaper (2) safer (3) friendlier which is why i ruled it out.

i want to be someplace urban and ideally warmer than Boston
Well, Pittsburgh winters aren’t much better. Philadelphia is cheaper than Boston and has a larger urban core than either. It’s definitely more expensive than Pittsburgh, but you’re sort of upgrading in terms of access to nice urban neighborhoods that are comparatively inexpensive and very active. Both are good though.

If you want to stay close to Boston, Providence is a pretty good choice.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I'm living in Boston right now. It's a great town and I've lived here my whole life. However I can't live the lifestyle that I want at all on my income. I am looking for a place where I could afford a nice place on my own in a popular part of the city. I don't care if it's a "boring" city as long as I can live in an active neighborhood.

Safety is also very important to me. I don't mind living in a transitional neighborhood, but I don't want to live in an extremely stratified city where my neighbors are living in squalor.

Having friendly, personable folk in town is also a top priority and something that is seriously lacking over here.

Pittsburgh is a city that is really appealing to me based on my critera, however I've never been out there myself. Is it colder than Boston? I know that the city has come a long way recently, is it a good place to live with friendly neighbors ?
Have you considered Indianapolis? It's a nice thriving city and one of the lowest cost of living large cities in the entire country, if not the lowest. I would imagine a single person could live pretty good in Indianapolis on $65,000 a year and be able to do all the things you enjoy as long as you live somewhat modestly, and don't let yourself get over loaded with debt. That debt can eat your lunch, especially a single person.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Chicago or Philadelphia came to mind right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.