Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times

Advertisements

Actually, the Detroit metro would work. Places such as Royal Oak, Ferndale, Detroit neighborhoods like Corktown and the Villages, Farmington, Plymouth and maybe select parts of Ann Arbor(if you go by CSA) could be some to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,408,431 times
Chicago, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh areas would fit most of that. The PNW is expensive and getting worse.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,451,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asseville_NC View Post
Hey folks! I just joined after lurking City Data for a while, as I'm finally approaching a move in my life, and I would like to have a nice list of options to begin traveling to and checking out, while I finish acquiring my savings! So any advice on places that fit my criteria would be awesome, I could sure use the help!

MUST HAVES:

Big City (I'm talking Metropolis or just outside of one)

Dark or Overcast and Mild type of weather (cold or rain doesn't matter, but I hate humidity and heat)

Lots of Things to do (I love music, good food, entertainment and would like to have a lot of night life options)

Reasonably Affordable (If a random cowtown in the south is "affordable", and NYC is "extremely unaffordable" then somewhere close to the middle hopefully)

Nice to have but not necessary:

Diverse

Access to Nature

Jobs (I was a web developer in the past as well as a graphic designer, however I'm looking into alternative career options. A place with a lot of openings in many fields would be great)

I've thought of places like Seattle obviously, it seems perfect but I've never been there, I've been to NYC and loved it, as well as Vancouver BC and absolutely loved it. The Northeast in general was fantastic, but Vancouver was too! I was hoping someone could give me the names of some cities that people might overlook when looking for a place like this? Thanks you guys!
Philly. Top 10 city/metro population. Winters can seem unreasonably bleak some years; some summer days are hot/humid, but nowhere near the level of DC, Atlanta, and other cities in middle/eastern US. No end of things to do: historic sites, concert venues, restaurants, etc. COL meets your generously broad "reasonable" criteria (and certainly way, way cheaper than Vancouver/NYC!). Racially/ethnically diverse, sometimes in the same 'hood. Finally, great access to nature in various forms: lots of trails, bike paths within/close to the city, and NJ shore/PA mountains are just over an hour away (and on your way to the Jersey shore, you have the Pinelands - 1/2 million acres of pines, bogs, estuaries, etc. and one of the nation's largest producers of cranberries and blueberries.)

Old 12-11-2017, 02:09 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,834,906 times
Chicago, IL
Philadelphia, PA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA

Chicago has a great music scene- more noticeable to me than it was in Seattle. The food is second to only NYC. And it's in a league of its own when it comes to nightlife. Truly world class. Despite some areas of high cost, Chicago is very very affordable for it's size and conveniences. There are 20+ neighborhoods, all with some distinctions of their own.. Plenty to choose from.

Philly offers a lot of what Chicago does- Good music scene, solid foodie town, milder weather. The location, being close to the coast, D.C, NYC, has a lot of perks. Great area for a weekend trip. It's not going to have as broad of shoulder as Chicago, and frankly, I don't put it in the same tier as a city. BUT, it's a good choice to look into.

Portland is going to be smaller than Philly or Chicago. I mean that in every sense of the word. But what Portland lacks as a metropolitan area, it makes up for it with it's natural beauty. Portland is like a crunchy Denver with a better music scene. The outdoor options are limitless.

Seattle is going to be the most expensive, and falls somewhere between Chicago and Portland culturally. You can feel the tech influence in Seattle, which adds a different dynamic than the rest. Obviously, like Portland, you're going to have unlimited outdoor options. Much like Chi and Philly, there are some obvious disparities between neighborhoods. Make sure to do some digging. As for nightlife, it's...Very bland. I never really found a truly exciting neighborhood in Seattle. Coming from Chicago and Boston, there was never the same kind of buzz about the city, and it spilled over into nightlife.

Last edited by mwj119; 12-11-2017 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 02:25 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,408,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicago, IL
Philadelphia, PA
Portland, OR
Seattle, WA

Chicago has a great music scene- more noticeable to me than it was in Seattle. The food is second to only NYC. And it's in a league of its own when it comes to nightlife. Truly world class. Despite some areas of high cost, Chicago is very very affordable for it's size and conveniences. There are 20+ neighborhoods, all with some distinctions of their own.. Plenty to choose from.

Philly offers a lot of what Chicago does- Good music scene, solid foodie town, milder weather. The location, being close to the coast, D.C, NYC, has a lot of perks. Great area for a weekend trip. It's not going to have as broad of shoulder as Chicago, and frankly, I don't put it in the same tier as a city. BUT, it's a good choice to look into.

Portland is going to be smaller than Philly or Chicago. I mean that in every sense of the word. But what Portland lacks as a metropolitan area, it makes up for it with it's natural beauty. Portland is like a crunchy Denver with a better music scene. The outdoor options are limitless.

Seattle is going to be the most expensive, and falls somewhere between Chicago and Portland culturally. You can feel the tech influence in Seattle, which adds a different dynamic than the rest. Obviously, like Portland, you're going to have unlimited outdoor options. Much like Chi and Philly, there are some obvious disparities between neighborhoods. Make sure to do some digging.
I totally agree with you about the Chicago area. You get "more for your money" there than pretty much anywhere in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.