Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:48 PM

39 posts, read 57,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that many recent college grads spend their 20s (and rarely after that) breaking into ‘high risk’ careers. These are the years they move to the big coastal cities (and a few others like Nashville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago e.g) to make it as actors, artists, musicians, film makers, writers, dancers, photographers, and the like. To a lesser degree this hold true for some aspiring pro athletes in their 20s, though minor leaguers are usually in small cities and aren’t as frequently college grads. People who haven’t established themselves in these fields by their early 30s usually find more traditional work.

Most recent grads, whether in a traditional or high risk field, tend to find friends among coworkers or those at least in the same field, and keep some of their best college friends. And of House some even marry a college sweetheart.

In my 20s and thinking of trying to start an acting career, that feel when not even started it yet.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Socialize, go to bars, run and exercise, a lot of online dating.

Last edited by Berteau; 01-17-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Outside of work...Dating, drinking, and hobbies. At least that's what I did in my mid-20s spare time. I'm 31 now, and not much has changed really.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that many recent college grads spend their 20s (and rarely after that) breaking into ‘high risk’ careers. These are the years they move to the big coastal cities (and a few others like Nashville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago e.g) to make it as actors, artists, musicians, film makers, writers, dancers, photographers, and the like. To a lesser degree this hold true for some aspiring pro athletes in their 20s, though minor leaguers are usually in small cities and aren’t as frequently college grads. People who haven’t established themselves in these fields by their early 30s usually find more traditional work.

Most recent grads, whether in a traditional or high risk field, tend to find friends among coworkers or those at least in the same field, and keep some of their best college friends. And of House some even marry a college sweetheart.
That moment when I'm exactly like you describe (early 20s, have a dead-end office job, trying to break into video game design) but was born in a major city and want to move somewhere else since I don't want to be stuck in Chicagoland my whole life...

Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
I'm 19 still a sophomore in college dreaming my future. I hate my life and I feel so trapped by the fact that I still have to live in my parents house until I graduate college and get a full time job. My dream is to get a job, move out of their house for god, but not only that, I want to move to a better state with a better climate too. I am an introvert and have only one friend right now, since I hated my other high school friends and it's hard making friends in college. I think my social life will improve in the future. But, since I want to move out of the state I live in now, my social life from my state would disappear. I never had a girlfriend in my life either. I am not in the mood to meet a girlfriend while I am in college. I feel like I can't enjoy what life has to offer until I am fully done with school and settled with life. I just don't like my life right now. My life is just going to school and daydreaming my future.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Most people seem to move back home after college and then fall back in with their old high school crowd.
They do? I don't know anyone that moved back home after college, most of them all moved on....

Chicago is completely overrun by college grads starting out in their first "real job". The city's main industries are heavily centered on white collar grad jobs. Much of it is Big 10, people from all around the Midwest, although at my company we had plenty from the coasts as well and down south.

I lived like this, went to Iowa, graduated, moved away to Chicago and started my first job. There are always so many people cycling into this that it seems there's an endless supply of young 20 somethings in the city. Fairly low cost of living, decent wages. People make friends through work or all the sports and social activities in the city that gear towards younger educated people. We would go to Cubs game, bars, out to eat, more bars, play sports, go to the dozens of festivals in the city every weekend, especially during summer.

I was barely home at all, especially in the summer. Mostly it would be work friends i would get in with, or groups I met out at bars that I friended, people I dated and expanded my social group into theirs.

For us it was fairly easy, as almost everyone took the train to work and lived on the north side of the city, we could for the most part walk to each others houses or take a quick train or bus ride, there would be tons of people you knew and always someone free who lived within 15 minutes away...

Old 01-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They do? I don't know anyone that moved back home after college, most of them all moved on....

Chicago is completely overrun by college grads starting out in their first "real job". The city's main industries are heavily centered on white collar grad jobs. Much of it is Big 10, people from all around the Midwest, although at my company we had plenty from the coasts as well and down south.

I lived like this, went to Iowa, graduated, moved away to Chicago and started my first job. There are always so many people cycling into this that it seems there's an endless supply of young 20 somethings in the city. Fairly low cost of living, decent wages. People make friends through work or all the sports and social activities in the city that gear towards younger educated people. We would go to Cubs game, bars, out to eat, more bars, play sports, go to the dozens of festivals in the city every weekend, especially during summer.

I was barely home at all, especially in the summer. Mostly it would be work friends i would get in with, or groups I met out at bars that I friended, people I dated and expanded my social group into theirs.

For us it was fairly easy, as almost everyone took the train to work and lived on the north side of the city, we could for the most part walk to each others houses or take a quick train or bus ride, there would be tons of people you knew and always someone free who lived within 15 minutes away...
That's because Chicago draws people from flagship state colleges like you said. THe poster probably went to a second tier or commuter state college where kids don't find jobs or just aren't as willing to go far from home.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:21 AM

657 posts, read 802,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I've live in three states and the only one I've found to be true is going to the gym.
Yeah, who's going to church or volunteering? Lol.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Yeah, who's going to church or volunteering? Lol.
Old people with families.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Mostly oral
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.