Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Part of it is ingrained in the local culture. Just as there are cities that put specific other cities down, there are those who are self-deprecating and never have a good thing to say about themselves.

It is a big part of why some states are emptying out and others are taking in masses of transplants.
What cities do you feel there's a lot of people with self-deprecating? I totally agree that it's ingrained in the local culture. So, how do people in those self-deprecating cities reserve it? To me, it seems that people who live in the cities that have been "discovered" (aka media darlings) and has had a number of transplants want to go back to the good old days, and people who aren't in the discovered cities are waiting and/or wanting to be discovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 03:45 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Interesting question and one I think has crossed most of our minds at some time or another. I think it's a combination of things. Jealousy, ignorance, buying into (or CHOOSING to believe) stereotypes, sheltered attitudes, outright lies in so cases. I think all metro areas have their good points; of course, to varying degrees. But we all have our own personal experiences with certain area that we draw from; good and bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.