Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
How is it more tangibly libertarian than Nevada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 07:51 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,415,821 times
Have you tried living in Somalia, Syria, or Guinea-Bissau? You can really live free in those areas with little government intervention.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:21 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How is it more tangibly libertarian than Nevada?
I meant more Libertarian than anywhere else I've ever lived. Never lived in Nevada. A lot of the Western states are Live and Let Live.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:52 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
[quote=Nanny Goat;50484599]

reason.com/blog/2015/06/26/this-map-shows-how-many-libertarians-are

As the article says, the "most-libertarians" states are mainly western states. Two are in the great plains (TX & ND). Only two are east of the Mississippi (Indiana & New Hampshire).

Washington State and Oregon are in the top 10, despite the complaining on here about what those "nanny states" are up to (or at least the "nanny cites" in those states, like Portland). CALIFORNIA came in at #13, OMG!

Old 12-24-2017, 12:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Arizona doesn't seem that libertarian to me, if someone like Joe Arpaio is popular
And many like him are popular here. Republicans are not libertarian, point blank period.

If you want the government to enforce no abortion, you believe in government. Not libertarian (Arizona recently became more anti-abortion a couple years ago).

Libertarians believe in little to no government, which to believe any state government actively goes against itself is a laughable idea at best. In order for this to happen, it would require MASSIVE involvement from EVERY SINGLE LOCAL CITIZEN to control what the government does. Most people can't even name their city councilman. So not going to happen.

No place in the United States is libertarian and no place here will ever be. If you support your troops, your police--including Arpaio--then you support the state. Many Republicans seem to forget that sometimes.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:59 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Libertarians believe in little to no government, which to believe any state government actively goes against itself is a laughable idea at best. In order for this to happen, it would require MASSIVE involvement from EVERY SINGLE LOCAL CITIZEN to control what the government does. Most people can't even name their city councilman. So not going to happen.

No place in the United States is libertarian and no place here will ever be. If you support your troops, your police--including Arpaio--then you support the state. Many Republicans seem to forget that sometimes.
Well said!!

Old 12-25-2017, 04:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
[quote=NW4me;50493060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

As the article says, the "most-libertarians" states are mainly western states. Two are in the great plains (TX & ND). Only two are east of the Mississippi (Indiana & New Hampshire).

Washington State and Oregon are in the top 10, despite the complaining on here about what those "nanny states" are up to (or at least the "nanny cites" in those states, like Portland). CALIFORNIA came in at #13, OMG!
The free state project ranks California quite close to the bottom

Old 12-25-2017, 01:36 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

I wouldn't think Texas, interesting. An, North Dakota. Hmmm. I know NY is one of the lowest of the free states. I grew up there and thought it was "normal" back then. But, I lived there a year recently and it's too restrictive for me personally. I'm more of a moderate type person, so NY was too L leaning for me. Everything was regulated, felt like prison to me.

They were 2 Repeat Posts of mine so deleted for that purpose. Crazy!

Old 12-25-2017, 02:08 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
And many like him are popular here. Republicans are not libertarian, point blank period.

If you want the government to enforce no abortion, you believe in government. Not libertarian (Arizona recently became more anti-abortion a couple years ago).

No conservative has ever said the government doesn't have an important role. I never heard any mainstream GOP person say they are anti-government. For example, you could not have private property rights without a government making sure that happens.

Conservatives would say protecting the right to life is about protecting liberty, which is the root word of libertarian.

I would say SC would be a good choice, especially regarding gun rights and lower property taxes. It is also a right to work state. The income tax rate on the top earners is too high in my opinion but it is likely to be reduced in the near future because NC dropped their rate down. The gas tax is relatively lower than other states even though it was recently increased.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-25-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 06:06 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Arizona or Michigan from my experience, but I haven't read any technical info. Maybe Alaska.
Michigan - no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.