Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2017, 07:28 AM

187 posts, read 226,769 times

Advertisements

Ok I need to make a decision and every place I find to move to ends up there's something negative enough that I don't want to. I wonder if a perfect place for me doesn't exist but the point is to make it how you want and make the best of it??

Well anyway my latest find was Fredericksburg VA. It's not the big city I wanted, but the houses are very affordable and my mom (who I'm moving with - she is letting me decide where) loves the area with history and golf. I liked the parks, the downtown was cute, and it's a reasonable commute to other major areas. Shenandoah sky line drive is about 1-2 hrs away, DC is commutable (I'm used to terrible traffic, I come from NJ), there's shopping around.

Well anyway so I was never actually in Fredericksburg before, but I've driven and stopped in other areas but not in winter. It's freezing and a waiter I spoke to went on and on about how he hates the climate here and is really only outdoors 2 months of the year.

I don't know much though. I need opinions!! I've broadened my criteria. I just need to move in the summer but I need to decide where SOON for employment. (I'll graduate with a BSN and want to pursue a nurse practitioner )

I loved Raleigh NC until I discovered the nuclear power plants close vicinity to the city and high cancer clusters, higher than other NC cities and other states. I am not afraid of an explosion, I'm afraid of the air and water pollution.

I had to rule out DC area because of expensive. Cost of living and my pending salary were too wide apart.

My criteria is:

1. My mom wants a nice house for $400,000. By nice I mean it doesn't need work and has a yard. She liked homes that were 500-600k in dc/Rockville to put it in perspective.

2. I want to spend most of the year outdoors being able to hike. I love the outdoors, this is a must. This was actually another negative for me for Raleigh, I wasn't impressed with the parks but they were ok, I would settle because of the nice weather and area, I'd still be outside at least.

3. My mom doesn't want to be in the "boondocks" She didn't like Charlottesville VA because she felt like it was too far from "civilization" in/around most of it.

4. I don't want to hike around alligators, so that leaves a lot out.

5. I'll give up wanting to live in or near a big city, wanting to work in a larger hospital, but I would like a suburb/city that isn't dead or dying. It doesn't need a night life, I just want lots of people around.

6. Low crime. I live in crime now and it's scary and I don't want to move to another place like it.

There HAS to be somewhere in the US (most preferably east coast) that meets this criteria? ??? Sorry so long. Thank you in advance for replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Maybe Lehigh Valley, PA (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton)? Fill out //www.city-data.com/forum/lehig...residents.html and post on their forum.

The area's affordable, has places to hike/paddle (and is close to the Poconos), is not that far from both Philly and NYC (75+ minutes to each, maybe?). Def'ly no gators :-) The numerous local colleges would, I'm sure, add a little pep to the night life. Can't speak to crime rate, but would guess it's lower than major east coast cities.
I live in Philly, and the area has always been one of my go-to places when I want to walk the streets, trails, etc. in a smaller, slower-paced locale.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:25 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
If you don't like winter, you're too far north, try the Carolinas or Georgia.

There are expensive areas in each and cheaper areas, but ultimately WE don't know what you and mom will like.

Do research and Google earth areas, that's how I found out retirement spot.

Good luck

Old 12-19-2017, 03:37 PM

187 posts, read 226,769 times
Thanks FrankInPhilly and galaxyhi!

I feel like I've searched and searched google earth! I looked at Richmond Va, Williamsburg va, Raleigh NC, Frederick MD, DC, Rockville MD, Athens Ga, Lake Nona Fl, Tampa Fl, Shenandoah Va, Fredericksburg Va, West Chester Pa.. I visited them except Athens and West Chester.

I looked around google earth for other cities in NC.. some nice ones but then I read they had high crime (like Fayetteville)

I'm sure not like the city crime in NJ but I don't want any high crime anymore.

I will look into Lehigh Valley. I guess I hoped for warmer. It's pretty hard to find a the right place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.