Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 PM

155 posts, read 154,181 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a definitive COL calculator/compare tool on the interwebs? I've looked at a couple and there seems to be some not insignificant discrepancies between the numbers. Just wondering if anyone had a good suggestion.

Specifically, rental price differences between denver, sacramento, worcester, phoenix.

THX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
None. Not one. From what I’ve seen, they either focus on metro, which is really bad for city-to-city comparisons. Others place too much emphasis on costs outside of housing. In my personal experience, housing costs (and daycare if you have young kids) is 90% of the COL difference between two cities.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I’ll send you a message, guys.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:58 AM

155 posts, read 154,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
None. Not one. From what I’ve seen, they either focus on metro, which is really bad for city-to-city comparisons. Others place too much emphasis on costs outside of housing. In my personal experience, housing costs (and daycare if you have young kids) is 90% of the COL difference between two cities.
Yea that was my feeling as well, I'm basically just going with one-bedroom rental comparisons to get the best idea. Apartmentlist.com has one that seems decent, and apparently updated every month by all the listings they have.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Location: On the move..somewhere in Portland / Beaverton possibly
72 posts, read 65,506 times
Hello,

My situation - company moved locations and is now not in my state. I currently live in OR.
Has asked me to move to WA or NC or Texas where they have bigger offices. Am allowed to work from home for many days in a month but still need to be nearer to office locations.

Have a family with 1 kid 8 years, so schooling is important.

Looking for some calculator which will give me indicative expenses on taxes (Fed + State) + property tax + Sales tax (if that state has it) with some inputs I give in terms of income, house price (about $450k) and monthly living expenses.

Inputs appreciated.
Thx

Old 02-26-2020, 09:43 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiA View Post
Hello,

My situation - company moved locations and is now not in my state. I currently live in OR.
Has asked me to move to WA or NC or Texas where they have bigger offices. Am allowed to work from home for many days in a month but still need to be nearer to office locations.

Have a family with 1 kid 8 years, so schooling is important.

Looking for some calculator which will give me indicative expenses on taxes (Fed + State) + property tax + Sales tax (if that state has it) with some inputs I give in terms of income, house price (about $450k) and monthly living expenses.

Inputs appreciated.
Thx
Which parts? Unless you’re making more money by going to Washington, it’s more than likely going to be a bit more expensive than NC or Texas, if you’re talking Seattle then a lot more expensive.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
There are other huge variables from one city to the next. For example in many areas transportation can be just about nothing because you don't need a car.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:04 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Yep. Just about everything else is inconsequential. Yes drinks and restaurant stuff are more expensive on the coasts, but how often do you eat out?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:11 PM

Location: On the move..somewhere in Portland / Beaverton possibly
72 posts, read 65,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
Which parts? Unless you’re making more money by going to Washington, it’s more than likely going to be a bit more expensive than NC or Texas, if you’re talking Seattle then a lot more expensive.

Washington - Vancouver, Camas, Olympia.. Seattle is way too expensive

Looking for some calculator which will give me indicative expenses on taxes (Fed + State) + property tax + Sales tax (if that state has it) with some inputs I give in terms of income, house price (about $450k) and monthly living expenses..

Basically, something like or 100k household income with 1 kid and a house worth 450k, monthly other expenses of $2000 state taxes is xxx, property tax is xxx etc, ST rate is xxx..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.