Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:27 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times

Advertisements

Three very important factors that separate Baltimore from the south are:
1. The second largest port of enty for immigrants after NYC.
2. The "Catholic"colony in that it was settled by Catholics and many of the immigrants who came into port in Baltimore stayed there.
3. A very large Jewish community. One of the largest in the country.
These three factors alone align Baltimore much more with the northeast corridor than the south. Added to that are transportation and industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
New Orleans density is not on par with DC, Baltimore, Philly and Boston! It's more inline with southern cities like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas at around 3,000 people per square mile. Second, New Orleans does not have great mass transit or a hughe downtown core. But it is walkable.

MdToaz

DC is one of the anchors of the NE corridor. We can argue all day long about historical culture but what I mentioned is a fact. DC is not NE like Boston or NYC but it boast many of the same characteristics of the NE.
My head is hurting, I just finished reading that ATL vs Hou trash. Why don't we both claim D.C. and B'More or just give B'More to the Northeast and let D.C. stay in the South,I have a feeling that you'll bring up the character of the MD cities, and I agree a little. Baltimore and D.C. are both way older than Atlanta, Miami, Orlando and the urban TX cities but they are going through the same things that the more established Northeastern cities already went through. What I am saying is that you have two Southern cities who were not overly independent and stayed smart and followed the lead of the "TRUE" Northeastern cities.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are Midwestern. Charleston, West Virginia I don't like to group with either the Northeast or the South, but if I had to pick one, it would definitely be the South. All other cities on the list fit the bill IMO.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM

The Northeast can have WV to balance things out. Think about it, how would the Sunbelt be when it becomes whole and established? I think it's going to show the same characteristics that some of the Northeastern cities already show. The Northeast has always been more urban while the Southeast has been sort of rural (MD escaped that trait) and I think that's what a lot of people use when they think Northeast.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
The Northeast can have WV to balance things out. Think about it, how would the Sunbelt be when it becomes whole and established? I think it's going to show the same characteristics that some of the Northeastern cities already show.
With the exception of the panhandle of WV, that state is much more in tuned with the South culturally, and architecturally. I personally see a huge difference when I cross the WV/PA line.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
It would have made more sense to have put Wheeling, WV on the list rather than Charleston. I can't think of too many NE cities with a large statue of Stonewall Jackson in the middle of it.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
It would have made more sense to have put Wheeling, WV on the list rather than Charleston. I can't think of too many NE cities with a large statue of Stonewall Jackson in the middle of it.
I tried to include the largest cities from each state that I've seen defined as Northeast at some point (with the exception of the Ohio cities and Seattle).

Old 03-21-2008, 03:52 PM

208 posts, read 605,253 times
I have relatives in the southwestern part of Virginia and we would frequent West Virginia's state parks and cities. I have been visiting WV for about 15 years.

WV has a different feel from VA. Charleston, WV and the southern and central parts of WV are not northeastern. However, it's not southern like Alabama and Georgia. It's more like a southern/midwestern mix with an Appalachian twist. The cities look different from southern cities too. They resemble cities in the Rust Belt. Also, many West Virginians refer to cold drinks as "pop", a midwestern term. But the southern term "y'all" is heard alot too.

Northern WV (Wheeling, Weirton, Morgantown) has close ties to OH and PA and has a more northern feel to them. They even look at you weird when you try to order sweet tea.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Three very important factors that separate Baltimore from the south are:
1. The second largest port of enty for immigrants after NYC.
2. The "Catholic"colony in that it was settled by Catholics and many of the immigrants who came into port in Baltimore stayed there.
3. A very large Jewish community. One of the largest in the country.
These three factors alone align Baltimore much more with the northeast corridor than the south. Added to that are transportation and industry.
Good points, it doesn't even matter anymore. I guess time can make anything fade away. I'm suprised that Pittsburgh wasn't voted on by more people.

Off Topic: Wouldn't it have been great if J Oglethorpe ran Georgia the way he intended it to be (y'all don't have to post any replys).

I gotta work tonight, later.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:59 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
New Orleans density is not on par with DC, Baltimore, Philly and Boston! It's more inline with southern cities like Atlanta, Houston and Dallas at around 3,000 people per square mile. Second, New Orleans does not have great mass transit or a hughe downtown core. But it is walkable.

MdToaz

DC is one of the anchors of the NE corridor. We can argue all day long about historical culture but what I mentioned is a fact. DC is not NE like Boston or NYC but it boast many of the same characteristics of the NE.
That's only if your looking at the density of the city limits. The city limits of New Orleans takes up all of Orleans Parish, of which, about 50% is water and wetlands. If you took the density of the livable portions of the city, you would find it much higher than other comparable southern cities such as Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas. And yes, it does have a sizable downtown core, and do you care to explain how a city where >30% of the population does not have a vehicle could possibly do without good public transportation. It may not have a subway system, but it has a huge fleet of buses that serves the entire city. I love when people try to assume that most southern cities have horrible public transportation just because they don't have a huge rail system...Baton Rouge, on the other hand, has horrible public transportation any way you look at it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.