Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:58 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times

Advertisements

I'm saying we aren't midwest or northeast, although this area has qualities of both. I consider it a region unto itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:11 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
It's certainly not the Northeast, though....they say pop in Buffalo.
They say pop in Seattle too...say...are you the one who voted for Seattle?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I don't consider Pittsburgh Ne even though it is in PA. If Pittsburgh is NE, then Youngstown, Cleveland and Akron are NE, of course this is ridiculous!!!
As a life-long Pittsburgher, I may be the only person in the city who likes Cleveland, but I must say that I just don't see the similarities. Could you mention specifics? Cleveland is so much a Great-Lakes styled city, and Pittsburgh has nothing with the Great Lakes. Someone said it earlier, and I think they are dead right: culture is the red herring for a city's style. Washington's and Boston's culture are quite different, but most would still consider both of those the Northeast. The city structure of Pittsburgh is quite similar to the other Eastern cities, but with a serious Appalachian flare.
Thus, I agree with hilltop, Pittsburgh is an Eastern-Appalachian city just like Cleveland is a Midwestern-Great Lakes city.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 28,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Once and for all, the Mason/Dixon line was not created to determine the boundaries of North & South. Do some research!

Yes, DC & Baltimore were once considered southern (and their black communities still have some of these southern traits, but so does every city in the US) but they have changed immensely over the past 30 years. There is nothing southern about DC. DC typlifies all of the characteristics of cities in the northeast:

Great Transit
Walkability
High Density
Huge Downtown Core

What southern cities have these characteristics?
miami - its denser than philly, baltimore and dc and has a huge downtown
and for the huge downtown core baltimores is smalls and philly's downtown is average for their sizes

Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 28,230 times
also if you go to buffalo they don't consider themselves in the northeast or midwest even though they have slightly more cultural ties to the midwest but many have strong links to toronto since it's so close

Old 03-22-2008, 06:00 PM

208 posts, read 605,132 times
Although I never lived in Pittsburgh or Cleveland, just from visiting I felt like both cities were different from each other, but I don't mean that in a bad way.

For instance, Pittsburgh is surrounded by steep hills and rivers in all directions and has a hint of Appalachia, especially in the rural areas just outside of the city. Cleveland is pretty much flat and shares a lakefront with Lake Erie. The accents in Cleveland sound similiar to Detroit and other Great Lakes cities. Pittsburgh has a more distinct accent. Although it is a northern accent, I hear a drawl, especially in words like "five" and "nine."

But once again, this is coming from a visitor's point of view. I enjoyed both areas and plan on visiting again this summer. Maybe someone who lived in both cities can offer a better perspective.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjaeyun View Post
miami - its denser than philly, baltimore and dc and has a huge downtown
and for the huge downtown core baltimores is smalls and philly's downtown is average for their sizes
Well, considering that we're talking about structural density, Miami is no where near Philly, B-More and DC because all those cities are filled with rowhouses. Philly also has 100,000 in Center City--it certainly has a large CBD, and DC's is enormous.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
Both cities are river cities and both have lots of bridges, but I see what you are saying. I was talking more about culture, not so much appearance. Although, like i said many NE Ohio cities, not necessarily cleveland, do have a new england type appearance.

Both cleveland and pittsburgh are old industrial type cities w/a lot of the same demographics......this applies to youngstown too. Cleveland has more AA's, but both cities have a ton of italians, jews, and other various european immigrants. Both have outstanding hospital systems and universities as well as a emerging biotech alliance.

The way people from both cities look at life is very similar as well. Many in both cities are very negative when it comes to jobs, weather, etc. But in the same breath, people in both cities are very loyal to their sports teams, etc. Both also have outstanding cultural institutions as well. Cleveland had Rockefeller and Pittsburgh had Carnegie.

Oh well, at least the cities are actually working together on something:

Pop City - Pittsburgh teams with Cleveland on biotech corridor (http://www.popcitymedia.com/timnews/5807Biotechcorridor.aspx - broken link)

I do have a question though...........is Erie considered Great lakes or Northeast???? Does it have more in common w/cleveland or pittsburgh??? What about Youngstown???? I think they all belong together.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
They say pop in Seattle too...say...are you the one who voted for Seattle?
Ha, no . I know they say pop all over the place, but in the Northeast, it is most definitely soda....here in Chicago, it's pop, of course. I still haven't gotten used to it.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:53 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Pop/soda is not a good geographical indicator. In St Louis, definitely a Midwestern city, it is soda. In Rochester, definitely a Northeastern city, it's pop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.