Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Cities are Northeast?
Boston 145 92.36%
Providence 138 87.90%
Hartford 140 89.17%
New York City 140 89.17%
Philadelphia 125 79.62%
Pittsburgh 55 35.03%
Baltimore 81 51.59%
Washington D.C. 78 49.68%
Buffalo 62 39.49%
Cleveland 10 6.37%
Cincinnati 6 3.82%
Columbus 5 3.18%
Charleston, WV 6 3.82%
Seattle 4 2.55%
Other 7 4.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
All of Louisiana's cities have a large Catholic Population, as do all of the Gulf Coast cities (Gulfport-Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa-St. Petersburg, Houston, Port Arthur-Beaumont)
From Wikipedia:

The Northeast has the largest concentration and percentage of Jews in the United States, and their presence is most notable in the areas of Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City,and southern New England. The region also has the highest amount of Hindus and Sikhs in the nation, with a slight lead over the west. This is due to the fact that the Northeast has more people of Indian descent than any other part of the country, and in the world outside India.
The region is also home to one of the largest populations of Muslims, Buddhists, and many other religions, including the highest amount of Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians, due to the many Eastern Europeans who have immigrated to the region in the past thirty years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
If you want to look at religion arounsd the country, see this map:

Map Gallery of Religion in the United States

Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
From Wikipedia:

The Northeast has the largest concentration and percentage of Jews in the United States, and their presence is most notable in the areas of Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City,and southern New England. The region also has the highest amount of Hindus and Sikhs in the nation, with a slight lead over the west. This is due to the fact that the Northeast has more people of Indian descent than any other part of the country, and in the world outside India.
The region is also home to one of the largest populations of Muslims, Buddhists, and many other religions, including the highest amount of Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Christians, due to the many Eastern Europeans who have immigrated to the region in the past thirty years.
Not sure how that changes anything about my post. All the places I listed still have noticeable Catholic populations. And if I remember History class correctly, the Catholic colony of Maryland got taken over by Protestants not so long after its creation.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:26 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Pop/soda is not a good geographical indicator. In St Louis, definitely a Midwestern city, it is soda. In Rochester, definitely a Northeastern city, it's pop.
I'd argue that Rochester is not Northeastern. It's pretty similar to Buffalo, which is definitely not the Northeast. They're both in that Western NY/Western PA border area between the Northeast and Midwest

I do know that they say soda in certain places in the Midwest, but I'm pretty sure most of the Midwest says "pop" and anyplace in the BosWash corridor says "soda." It's not the best geographical indicator, but such regional vocabulary differences are worth something.

To expand on an earlier post I'd say a complete definition of the Northeast includes the following:

The entire BosWash corridor (DC's Northern VA burbs to Boston's northern burbs)
The rest of New England
Lehigh Valley, NE Penn., and central PA to around Harrisburg or so
Hudson Valley NY, Catskills, Adirondacks, central NY to around the Finger Lakes region
All of Delaware and most of Maryland

This is just an approximation, but its pretty much what I'd consider the extent of the region called "The Northeast."

Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times
How can people not say that Pittsburgh is northeast. It's in Pennsylvania. The PA/OH line separates the NE from the MW.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 PM

Baltimore and Washington are not northeastern cities.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'd argue that Rochester is not Northeastern. It's pretty similar to Buffalo, which is definitely not the Northeast. They're both in that Western NY/Western PA border area between the Northeast and Midwest

I do know that they say soda in certain places in the Midwest, but I'm pretty sure most of the Midwest says "pop" and anyplace in the BosWash corridor says "soda." It's not the best geographical indicator, but such regional vocabulary differences are worth something.

To expand on an earlier post I'd say a complete definition of the Northeast includes the following:

The entire BosWash corridor (DC's Northern VA burbs to Boston's northern burbs)
The rest of New England
Lehigh Valley, NE Penn., and central PA to around Harrisburg or so
Hudson Valley NY, Catskills, Adirondacks, central NY to around the Finger Lakes region
All of Delaware and most of Maryland

This is just an approximation, but its pretty much what I'd consider the extent of the region called "The Northeast."
Virginia the northeast? The capital of the confederacy? Nonsense. Maryland is also not the northeast.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post

Whoever voted for Seattle must be blind (or from South Carolina). I think all the Northerners on here should start threads on the North to balance out all the Southern threads. Sorry about sorta getting off the subject ainulinale.
What was the point of denigrating South Carolina?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post

I do know that they say soda in certain places in the Midwest, but I'm pretty sure most of the Midwest says "pop" and anyplace in the BosWash corridor says "soda." It's not the best geographical indicator, but such regional vocabulary differences are worth something."
I was once married to a guy from Rochester. There was no way in H*** he considered himself a midwesterner. Nor did any other member of his family. The were solid New York Yankees. I do not think the "pop/soda" issue is a good marker for midwest vs east. They say "soda" in Milwaukee as well as St. Louis. I am from Pittsburgh, but the rest of my family is not. My older DD, Coloradan to the bone, laughed when I asked her if she thought Pgh was a midwestern city. It's just too dang far away from here to be considered midwest.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
The Northeast can have WV to balance things out. Think about it, how would the Sunbelt be when it becomes whole and established? I think it's going to show the same characteristics that some of the Northeastern cities already show. The Northeast has always been more urban while the Southeast has been sort of rural (MD escaped that trait) and I think that's what a lot of people use when they think Northeast.
Garbage.

The south has over one hundred million people, while the northeast barely has over fifty. Stop living in the past, like it's 1865.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.