Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 05:22 PM

25 posts, read 39,804 times

Advertisements

Hi there people,

with or without everything that I mention, I am looking for the closest place to "home".

I love

the mountains
the ocean
spring weather
low population
nice people
plenty to do nature-wise

right now, I am in Denver and the snow and cold weather is uuuggghhh
I am looking to get out of here at least for the winter

so with the criteria listed, what is my best choice for at least this winter time?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,304,824 times
There is nothing better than mountains in the winter, but apparently that’s not for you so that’ll limit some things, considering high elevation & mountains = snow & cold.

If you want mountains and ocean, plus a low population, try some areas in Northern California. Places like Fort Bragg, Crescent City, Eureka, etc...could work. However, the ocean will be absolutely freezing and temps will be chilly as well. The mountains aren’t like the peaks you see near Denver either, much smaller.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,898,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelackof View Post
hi there people,

with or without everything that i mention, i am looking for the closest place to "home".

I love

the mountains
the ocean
spring weather
low population
nice people
plenty to do nature-wise

right now, i am in denver and the snow and cold weather is uuuggghhh
i am looking to get out of here at least for the winter

so with the criteria listed, what is my best choice for at least this winter time?

Thank you!!
pnw

Old 12-23-2017, 09:07 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,757,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelackof View Post
Hi there people,

with or without everything that I mention, I am looking for the closest place to "home".

I love

the mountains
the ocean
spring weather
low population
nice people
plenty to do nature-wise

right now, I am in Denver and the snow and cold weather is uuuggghhh
I am looking to get out of here at least for the winter

Thank you!!
Based on your criteria my first thought was South Carolina or Georgia. Other options would be the Santa Barbara to Monterey corridor. Hawaii is a dark horse if you find the areas where it's not too tropical.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:23 AM

26,867 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Based on your criteria my first thought was South Carolina or Georgia. .
I agree, as well as North Carolina. Cities like Columbia SC and Chapel Hill NC would be my recommendations as they're about equidistant to the mountains and ocean, have moderate four season climates with no snow (or a dusting) and generally friendly locals.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:21 AM

422 posts, read 391,636 times
Santa Cruz, Ca

Old 12-30-2017, 02:09 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,662,820 times
At this time of year? Try Kauai, Hawaii.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:40 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,781,735 times
I would consider the Texas Hill Country, with a side trip to South Padre Island for your ocean fix. If you've never been there, you're in for a treat.

Texas Hill Country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.