Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Yikes! lol
It’s silly to play the comparison game between an MSA of 2.3mil (and city of 300k) to MSAs of 5, 6, or 20mil. Positively preposterous. Of course Pittsburgh is going to seem different. Pittsburgh really only has one peer city in the Northeast, and that’s Baltimore. Aside from African-American population, the cities are remarkably similar. Pittsburgh combines a lot of the elements of Philly with Baltimore and Richmond. I’m also not going to entertain the notion that a live/work/play CBD defines an East Coast city, when most East Coast CBD’s were ghost towns well into the early 2000’s

Last edited by gladhands; 12-31-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 04:31 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m also not going to entertain the notion that a live/work/play CBD defines an East Coast city, when most East Coast CBD’s were ghost towns well into the early 2000’s
The OP wants to know how Pittsburgh compares with the coastal NE cities (compares, using the present tense). He’s planning a visit in a few months. What good would it be for him to know how Pittsburgh compared with BosWash back in 1981?

You don’t have to buy my assertion to answer my question (I’ve asked twice - nicely, btw). But that’s ok. I think I know the answer in reading between the lines.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Pittsburgh vs Boston & Philly Pros: safety, COL, and family oriented

Pittsburgh vs Boston & Philly Cons: public transit, proximity to other large cities, proximity to the ocean, lower salaries, food, music, and lack of things to do

Census figures prove the Pittsburgh suburbs are more popular than the city.

Last edited by bluecarebear; 01-01-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 10:39 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Pittsburgh always struck me as the bridge between the old river cities (Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis) and the MidAtlantic cities of Philadelphia and Baltimore.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:12 PM

59 posts, read 68,301 times
It compares favorably.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I find it interesting that Pittsburgh has a Northeastern accent...at least closer to Northeastern than Midwestern or any other region....while Buffalo has a strong Midwestern/Great Lakes accent which makes sense considering it is on a Great Lake...but it's still interesting how they sound so different from each other.
Pittsburgh has its own unique accent, unlike the east coast cities or the midwestern cities. Watch a few episodes of "Mr. Rogers" for examples.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:11 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Pittsburgh always struck me as the bridge between the old river cities (Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis) and the MidAtlantic cities of Philadelphia and Baltimore.
That pretty much nails it.

Pittsburgh is transitional between the mid-west and northeast.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
pittsburgh always struck me as the bridge between the old river cities (cincinnati, louisville, st. Louis) and the midatlantic cities of philadelphia and baltimore.
+1

Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 AM

977 posts, read 566,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Pittsburgh surburbs are depressing?
I really think it depends on which suburbs you are talking about. Pittsburgh really has two kinds of suburbs. There are the type of suburbs that you would generally think of when talking about suburbs, namely completely car-oriented, full of strip malls and big box stores, etc. Those certainly exist in the Pittsburgh metro, Robinson Township, Moon Township, Cranberry Township, McCandless, etc.

There is another type of suburb in Pittsburgh, however. While these are generally somewhat car-oriented, they also provide walkability. The Pittsburgh metro is fractured in terms of municipalities, and there are many inner-ring suburbs that would likely be part of the city proper in an area where there was more annexation. Generally, these suburbs are quite similar in feel to the adjacent city neighborhoods, and even many residents have difficulty determining where the dividing line is between the city proper and the adjacent suburbs. Places like Dormont, Bellvue, Crafton, Ingram, Millvale, and Carnegie are what I am thinking of here.

Obviously, it all depends on your personal preferences, but I would not be too quick to dismiss the suburbs of Pittsburgh out of hand. There are some pretty decent suburbs in the area.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:07 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh vs Boston & Philly Pros: safety, COL, and family oriented

Pittsburgh vs Boston & Philly Cons: public transit, proximity to other large cities, proximity to the ocean, lower salaries, food, music, and lack of things to do

Census figures prove the Pittsburgh suburbs are more popular than the city.
Boston is slightly safer than Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.