Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 40,079 times

Advertisements

We currently live in El Dorado, Ks. Both my wife and I are tired of living here. We are mid 20s with 3 children. Of course we are looking for a place that is great for raising children. We have lived here, houston, phoenix, Lake havasu. We have been looking at everything from OKC to KCMO and KCK. As well as around Salt lake city. Some of the preferences are jobs need to be decent. Houses under $140K To be honest we would like to stay away from huge citys however have one near. We have pretty much crossed out everything east of Kansas. I for one and tired of flat areas. Would like to see a mountian or something in the distance if not near. Weather is either hot or cold. We like Arizona however thats more of a vaction spot for us anymore. Not really diggin the cold of alaska ect... LOL Were not afraid of snow by any means however.

I work construction so a up and coming city would be nice for job security ect...

We are your average family. Not poor yet not near enough money to live in Cali, and we are 100% fine with that. We like our life just not HERE. LOL LOL LOL
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,887,680 times
I know you said you weren't looking east, but if you change your mind, the western sections of NC/SC or eastern TN would be worth a look. Good luck!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 07:35 PM

12 posts, read 40,079 times
Whew, 33 people looked at this and i didnt know if anybody was going to answer. Please keep in mind that we arent looking for a new house for that much. I know ALOT about construction and have no problems with a fixer uper.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:57 PM

5,322 posts, read 18,200,288 times
Try Southeast Idaho. The mountains are nearby, Salt Lake City is only 3 hours south and the construction is a happening thing in these parts.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,736,045 times
Default Don't count us out! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsFamily View Post
We currently live in El Dorado, Ks. Both my wife and I are tired of living here. We are mid 20s with 3 children. Of course we are looking for a place that is great for raising children. We have lived here, houston, phoenix, Lake havasu. We have been looking at everything from OKC to KCMO and KCK. As well as around Salt lake city. Some of the preferences are jobs need to be decent. Houses under $140K To be honest we would like to stay away from huge citys however have one near. We have pretty much crossed out everything east of Kansas. I for one and tired of flat areas. Would like to see a mountian or something in the distance if not near. Weather is either hot or cold. We like Arizona however thats more of a vaction spot for us anymore. Not really diggin the cold of alaska ect... LOL Were not afraid of snow by any means however.

I work construction so a up and coming city would be nice for job security ect...

We are your average family. Not poor yet not near enough money to live in Cali, and we are 100% fine with that. We like our life just not HERE. LOL LOL LOL
Any ideas?
Don't rule out California completely! There are tons of great towns outside of the big cities, which are much more affordable... might not be as cheap as Utah or Idaho, however it is do-able for most people. You might consider looking outside/around Sacramento, though it's slightly higher than your price range - about $200-250K for something nice, and less is possible. It gets pretty hot there in the summer, but it's a dry heat - LOL (sorry, inside west-coaster joke ) The good part is that winters are quite nice, and rarely get below freezing. There are many other possibilities throughout the Central Valley, but avoid Stockton... trust me, I lived there & it's not the best place for raising kids!!

Outside of California, I think Nevada and Oregon have nice places to choose from... some people don't think of it as "nice", but Reno is actually a cool place to live. I've considered moving there myself! It has some very safe & pretty neighborhoods - though I'm not sure about the schools, since I don't have kids yet - and lots of amenities to offer. There's some really beautiful scenery too, and the weather is almost perfect in my opinion... basically no humidity, warm (but not scorching) summers, and just enough winter snow to make things pretty. Here's a link to another thread, which discusses their specific neighborhoods - //www.city-data.com/forum/nevad...hborhoods.html
Reno could be considered an up & coming town, and I'm willing to bet there are plenty of construction job opportunities!

Oregon is one of my personal favorite states, though you have to be tolerant of the rain! I lived in Eugene for a few years, and loved it there... that was about 10 years ago, so it may have changed since then, but probably not too much. Portland is great too, and there are lots of nice suburban neighborhoods outside of the city. Lake Oswego is the most desireable, but also the most expensive... plenty of others to choose from, though. Anyway, those are my suggestions for now, and I'll post again if I think of others.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,018,861 times
I have been to El Dorado, KS. I CANNOT STAND how flat it is out there. I feel like I'm on an alien planet.

My husband and I are moving from NJ to KCMO next year; hopefully the area between St. Joseph and KC. Lots of green, lots of hills, near the city but still country. For $140k you could get a nice country home, especially if you are handy.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,620,240 times
Boise is booming, construction is big, didnt do well in construction in NC, not enough pay. I have family in Idaho and they get paid well for the jobs there.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:24 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,956,417 times
Friendnc and Cleosmom make good selling points. I was tempted by Idaho too and people are voting with their feet for North Carolina, particularly the western part. I know Christina has researched Missouri thoroughly and fallen in love with it. I did too, and my part is in the southwest of the state...gorgeous countryside, very inexpensive housing, safe, and it's a diverse economy here. You might skim some choices in Missouri away from KC and St. Louis...there are lots of treasures in this state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.