Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,123 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to move to for retirement. Affordable house to buy or rent, clean air, not much humidity, snow, etc. Obviously no tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding. I'll be retired so I won't care about the commute but I'd like to be near healthy/organic grocery stores, and have at least some outdoor space. I've been living in Albuquerque, NM but haven't found anything here to rent/buy for more than a year at a time, and I've disliked all of them. I'm guessing part of that is how much I'm spending (around $500ish/month) but if I have to move out of state I will. Thanks for your help, it's getting expensive to keep moving so I'm asking for places to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:54 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would recommend Johnson City TN. It's a beautiful area on a plateau to the west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is very affordable with the median home price around 140K, and the average one bedroom apartment rents for $620. The area is listed among those cities considered to have the "cleanest air" in the US. Natural disasters are very much a rarity and snowfall averages a moderate 15" a year, spread out from November through March. Johnson City is a college town (East Tennessee State University, that also has a medical school/hospital) which allows it provides more to do than most cities it's size (population 66K). The city does have an Earth Fare location, which is one of the better natural foods supermarket chains. Also the city is served by Tri-Cities airport and has service from Delta, American and Allegiant. http://visitjohnsoncitytn.com/retire-to-johnson-city/

Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This may help: https://www.aarp.org/home-family/fri...retire-fd.html

I thought about a couple of Mississippi college towns in Oxford and Starkville, but I'm not sure if both would fit all of your criteria.

another list that may help: https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...ire/index.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2018 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-02-2018, 11:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
A place in eastern Tennessee would be good, like Johnson City/Kingsport and Knoxville areas. Roanoke, VA is very nice as well. If you wanted to stay out west, in the Boise, ID area Ada County's housing costs are 110% of the national average and Canyon County's is just 76%. The areas I listed rank high in my metro AND retirement rankings. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-02-2018, 11:18 AM

730 posts, read 815,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinspiring View Post
I'm looking for a place to move to for retirement. Affordable house to buy or rent, clean air, not much humidity, snow, etc. Obviously no tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding. I'll be retired so I won't care about the commute but I'd like to be near healthy/organic grocery stores, and have at least some outdoor space. I've been living in Albuquerque, NM but haven't found anything here to rent/buy for more than a year at a time, and I've disliked all of them. I'm guessing part of that is how much I'm spending (around $500ish/month) but if I have to move out of state I will. Thanks for your help, it's getting expensive to keep moving so I'm asking for places to check out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This may help: https://www.aarp.org/home-family/fri...retire-fd.html

I thought about a couple of Mississippi college towns in Oxford and Starkville, but I'm not sure if both would fit all of your criteria.

another list that may help: https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...ire/index.html
The OP specifically said not much humidity, and you're recommending places in Mississippi? Have you been to Mississippi in the summer?

Since the OP is concerned with humidity and has also mentioned the expenses involved with moving, that pretty much leaves out the eastern half of the country. I think the OP should stick with small towns in the Southwest. It's a lot less expensive to move from Albuquerque to, say, Socorro NM that it is to Mississippi or Tennessee. In fact, I'll go ahead and recommend some of the NM suburbs of El Paso as viable options that the OP might want to investigate.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Since the OP is concerned with humidity and has also mentioned the expenses involved with moving, that pretty much leaves out the eastern half of the country.
Not really. The OP doesn't sound like the typical delicate flower who can't handle any, more like not a lot as stated with "not much". In a moderate four season climate, they're looking at three to four months of "not much" in a location with an elevation of 1600'-1800' feet like Johnson City.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:32 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
The OP specifically said not much humidity, and you're recommending places in Mississippi? Have you been to Mississippi in the summer?

Since the OP is concerned with humidity and has also mentioned the expenses involved with moving, that pretty much leaves out the eastern half of the country. I think the OP should stick with small towns in the Southwest. It's a lot less expensive to move from Albuquerque to, say, Socorro NM that it is to Mississippi or Tennessee. In fact, I'll go ahead and recommend some of the NM suburbs of El Paso as viable options that the OP might want to investigate.
Actually, I have....Starkville will have a lower humidity and its max average high during July and August is 90 degrees.

I think the bigger issue may be with other aspects though.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:

I agree with this to some extent, but also, the OP is asking for no tornadoes, hurricanes, or flooding. The inland Southeast gets more tornadoes than any other part of the country except possibly Kansas and Oklahoma (which some people consider part of the Southeast) and the coastal Southeast is at risk for hurricanes and/or flooding, so I think that these factors rule out much of the eastern U.S. also. Even here in the upper Midwest we get tornadoes from time to time. To say, "Obviously, no tornadoes" rules out many, many states, including Mississippi and Tennessee.

I agree with anyone who thinks that the OP should stick with the West and if they are used to paying $500/month for housing and won't or can't pay more and are also concerned about the cost of moving, then the Southwest, as the upper West/PNW would be out of their price range and a more expensive move.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Kinspiring --

Can you please clarify more about your rent? You said you are paying $500/month for rent. Are you able to pay more rent than that? If so, what is your hoped-for maximum? Are you able to pay utility bills on top of the rent?

If you can give a little bit more info, we can at least eliminate many options. But a maximum monthly budget is a must.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2018, 03:01 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,278 times
I was thinking Austin, TX until you said you only spend $500 on rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.