Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm thinking you guys missed the point of the OP actually, which I in fact caught.
Come on dude...it's clear as day the point we were referring to was specifically the one made in response to post #16 (regarding Atlanta) and not the OP. We've interacted on this board long enough for you to know better. For you to think that I somehow failed to grasp the simple point the OP is making is pretty patronizing coming from you, especially when I disagreed with the first mention of Atlanta in this thread in post #13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:24 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Los Angeles
I think this thread does apply to Western city/metros the most, simply because they are so spread out. I was just going to play devils advocate and mention LA too. This actually fits with what the OP was saying.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Aren’t most cities/Metros in the country like this?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Come on dude...it's clear as day the point we were referring to was specifically the one made in response to post #16 (regarding Atlanta) and not the OP. We've interacted on this board long enough for you to know better. For you to think that I somehow failed to grasp the simple point the OP is making is pretty patronizing coming from you, especially when I disagreed with the first mention of Atlanta in this thread in post #13.
You're misinterpreting Iconographer's misinterpretation of me, which is why it's hard to argue with two separate people at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
He never said it was, and you missed the whole point. We were referring to metros that are anchored by a city (or in this case, district) that is relatively small compared to said surrounding metro.
I don't know who originally brought forward the point of cities with small population in comparison to their big metro area being the point of this thread, but the OP mentioned nothing of this sort in his/her post, which is what I was talking about.

Last edited by the resident09; 01-04-2018 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Are we talking about city limits vs. suburbs or just downtown vs. suburbs?

This one old thread was specifically about weak urban cores/downtowns:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ban-cores.html

It doesn't seem like this one is specifically Downtown-centric. It doesn't imply "Downtown" in its heading, just the anchor city of the metro vs. the suburbs.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Are we talking about city limits vs. suburbs or just downtown vs. suburbs?

This one old thread was specifically about weak urban cores/downtowns:
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...ban-cores.html

It doesn't seem like this one is specifically Downtown-centric. It doesn't imply "Downtown" in its heading, just the anchor city of the metro vs. the suburbs.
OP was initially talking about amenities within the core, vs the suburbs. I don’t know what the hell everyone is going on about referencing cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, DC and etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:06 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm thinking you guys missed the point of the OP actually, which I in fact caught. The OP's point was to highlight cities such as Phoenix, where the plethora or even majority of their metro's amenities, and/or activity is not in it's city core but in fact in its suburban areas, such as Scottsdale etc.

This thread is not about cities like DC or Atlanta or Boston with small city limits comparing how many people live in the suburbs vs the city, that goes without saying. Phoenix in fact has huge city limits and still lacks in downtown experience etc.

That is what I took from the OP:

Phoenix city proper with 1.6 million people proper lags behind Scottsdale, Gilbert, Chandler and Tempe in it's offerings.
Did you now?

What I took from the OP is what I take from many of his posts: "I hate Phoenix and I'm gonna take another potshot against it."

Old 01-04-2018, 04:36 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
LA has one of the largest and strongest urban cores in the country. It is similar to Tokyo, Seoul and maybe London which are also large and strong urban cores. This is different from Philly, SF, Seattle DC, and Chicago which have small cores but strong.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
LA has one of the largest and strongest urban cores in the country. It is similar to Tokyo, Seoul and maybe London which are also large and strong urban cores. This is different from Philly, SF, Seattle DC, and Chicago which have small cores but strong.
Philly, DC, and Chicago are way more urban than LA thouvh

Old 01-04-2018, 07:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Aren’t most cities/Metros in the country like this?
I would guess not (if you're someone who likes cities), if a city proper is suburban then its suburbs will be even more suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.