Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 736 times

Advertisements

How are you my husband and I are expecting a baby in August. We live in upstate New York and is getting a little bit too expensive we are looking at other states but haven't really pinpointed where exactly we want to move, but we want to travel to a few places in the next few months to find someplace that we might like so far with been highlighted to me is North Carolina, Colorado , Oregon, Illinois. I am open to all suggestions.
I am working as a server in a restaurant about 40 hrs weekly making anywhere between 500 to 750 every week on average. My husband is working about 50 hours as a chef and making 900 to 1000 a week depending on exactly the hours he works we want to move to a place that we're going to be making similar money give or take 100 if not more for the same will be great. Neither of us have college education (alltough I am planning to go).My husband has 10 years experience as a chef.
We would like to move to an area where there is a good amount of jobs and a good amount of things to do and that is diverse. especially with a lot of Hispanics since my husband is Mexican. We would love a place with a great food scene especially with a lot of Hispanic restaurants.
We don't want to move to a place that is boiling hot all year or freezing cold all year.
We are planning to buy a house wherever we move would like a place that is pitbull friendly since we have three dogs of which one is a pitbull.
Of any of the states I listed above all suggestions besides those are welcome. Thank you for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Having lived in both Chicago and Portland I would definitely recommend Chicago for the best opportunities under your circumstances and Portland for the least. I can’t say about the other states because I am not familiar with them.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:49 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,679,368 times
I live in Southeast Raleigh, NC and there's a lot of Hispanics/Mexicans around here. Most of them work in the service industry as there's a lot of restaurants/bars/ in this area. Garner might have more affordable housing for you given your income.

Raleigh's climate is pretty even. We got an inch of snow today but it'll probably be melted by tomorrow. It's nothing like upstate NY (I've lived in Albany).

Most large cities in the South have some sort of Hispanic population which almost always is Mexican. You could also look into Charlotte, NC (housing is slightly more affordable there than Raleigh and it's a larger city with more job prospects). Greensboro and Wilmington could also be good places to look. I think Wilmington has a growing Hispanic population.

The most Mexicans though are going to be in Texas and further west. I lived in Austin and loved it. Nearly everyone was Mexican it seemed like. Cost of living is ridiculous there though, and it doesn't sound like you'd like the weather.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Illinois.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:59 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAcostaxo1 View Post
How are you my husband and I are expecting a baby in August. We live in upstate New York and is getting a little bit too expensive we are looking at other states but haven't really pinpointed where exactly we want to move, but we want to travel to a few places in the next few months to find someplace that we might like so far with been highlighted to me is North Carolina, Colorado , Oregon, Illinois. I am open to all suggestions.
I am working as a server in a restaurant about 40 hrs weekly making anywhere between 500 to 750 every week on average. My husband is working about 50 hours as a chef and making 900 to 1000 a week depending on exactly the hours he works we want to move to a place that we're going to be making similar money give or take 100 if not more for the same will be great. Neither of us have college education (alltough I am planning to go).My husband has 10 years experience as a chef.
We would like to move to an area where there is a good amount of jobs and a good amount of things to do and that is diverse. especially with a lot of Hispanics since my husband is Mexican. We would love a place with a great food scene especially with a lot of Hispanic restaurants.
We don't want to move to a place that is boiling hot all year or freezing cold all year.
We are planning to buy a house wherever we move would like a place that is pitbull friendly since we have three dogs of which one is a pitbull.
Of any of the states I listed above all suggestions besides those are welcome. Thank you for your help in advance.
Not on your list, but Philly would meet most of your requirements, esp'ly WRT Hispanic population. Cost of living is not as nutty as NY, and the food scene here is top notch. The environment wouldn't be as different as if you moved to CO, NC, OR, so if you wanted a Big Change, Philly probably wouldn't be a good fit. Otherwise, it's worth a look. My wife and I moved here (Philly - East Mt Airy) from NC (Chapel Hill) about 10 years ago and haven't regretted the decision for a second.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
OP, what part of Upstate NY are you coming from? I ask because cost of living may not be much different, if not a little higher for some areas in those states, because you may get hit in different ways.

Also, there are places with Hispanics, but most will be Puerto Rican and maybe Dominican.

With this said, a sleeper area with a visible/substantial Mexican population that is growing, as is the general area and is still pretty affordable is Nashville TN.

If you are open to Michigan, a couple of sleeper areas there are Grand Rapids and Lansing. Both actually have visible/substantial Mexican populations as well. Grand Rapids is a growing area that many may not consider, but may be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-04-2018 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,328,176 times
Are the $$ amounts you listed before or after taxes? Roughly $5500-$6000 is what you have listed as combined income.

Portland is expensive, and will only continue to get more expensive, keep that in mind if you plan to quit work and go to school. Depending which part of Colorado, same goes for this.

That being said, there are an abundant amount of nice areas you could live on that income. I would stay away from the West Coast and PNW just for budget purposes. Also
Portland is extremely “white”.

Not many places are cold & hot year round. So your options are endless. North Carolina, South Carolina, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee, the list goes on and on. Nashville, TN isn’t a super cheap area, but the amount of server/chef jobs there are endless as well, and there are some affordable suburbs if that’s of interest.

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 01-04-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,526,037 times
CO and OR are expensive. The buying power in NC and IL is much better, so you'll be able to live better on less. Charlotte and Raleigh areas in NC or Chicago in IL would be good choices. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Upstate New York is actually very affordable, I don't know how much money you'd save by moving

Westchester and Rockland county are expensive but they're not actually upstate

Old 01-04-2018, 12:53 PM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Upstate New York is actually very affordable, I don't know how much money you'd save by moving

Westchester and Rockland county are expensive but they're not actually upstate
Yeah, I was thinking that as well given the weekly income and why I was curious as to where in Upstate NY.

If those figures are what they bring home weekly, that is middle class for the region and they could afford buying in the vast majority of school districts, if not all of them in the region.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times
I’d take a look at the Las Vegas metro, especially for the restaurant, hotel, and catering opportunities. Many of those jobs IIRC are also unionized meaning better job securit and wages. Summers are hot not usually humid. Winters tend to be cold but dry. Certainly a Hispanic/Mexican community there. And while I don’t know LV housing prices, thousands of restaurant and hotel employees are obviously living somewhere in the area. Maybe others here have a better idea of where that is than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.