Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I completely agree! Of the mega metros, Chicago is at the top of my list. Its relative affordability is key to that.
+2. What's actually missing? Ok, the weather can be harsh, but it's top 5 in urbanity and every opportunity is there for the taking. Great city, and great value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:37 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,420,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
+2. What's actually missing? Ok, the weather can be harsh, but it's top 5 in urbanity and every opportunity is there for the taking. Great city, and great value.
I agree. And with me, the climate isn't a big issue with me personally. I could live in Tampa, but I can live here in Cape Cod as well. As long as I can dress appropriately, I'm fine.I know I'm in the minority on that, lol. About the only climate I would actually hate would be the PNW. But, really, with a metro and central city that large and that much to offer, I would overwhelmingly personally prefer Chicago over NYC, LA and SF. And, you're right, it's a terrific value for an international city like they are.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 AM

304 posts, read 293,215 times
Wow, it looks like a single teacher raising two kids can't purchase a sfh in just about any location unless she has a massive downpayment.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Wow, it looks like a single teacher raising two kids can't purchase a sfh in just about any location unless she has a massive downpayment.
Depends on the salary. In my experience, teachers typically range from 40-80k. I know there are some districts where new teachers make closer to 30k, and others where late career teachers with advanced degree can go over 100k, but those are rare. There are lots of cities where a 60k earner can buy a SFH, but it would be hard to do so while also raising two children, with no other financial assistance. Metro Pittsburgh is a possibility.

This is a walkable suburb with light-rail access to downtown, and a mediocre school district.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74699400

Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM

520 posts, read 605,515 times
In Albuquerque, you can get a 3/2 starting about $160k in Rio Rancho which is safe and has decent schools, probably a 30-45 minute commute to downtown.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:34 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,843,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Depends on the salary. In my experience, teachers typically range from 40-80k. I know there are some districts where new teachers make closer to 30k, and others where late career teachers with advanced degree can go over 100k, but those are rare. There are lots of cities where a 60k earner can buy a SFH, but it would be hard to do so while also raising two children, with no other financial assistance. Metro Pittsburgh is a possibility.

This is a walkable suburb with light-rail access to downtown, and a mediocre school district.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74699400
Yes, there are certainly some areas of the country that stand out as a good fit for a teacher. Not sure what the pay scale looks like in major markets around the US, but I know that the top tier districts around Rahleigh pay $60-$70k, so that's another example of a good market to teach in.

As mentioned above, this varies quite a bit. In theory, the system SHOULD pay according to COL (not apples to apples). Often times, higher COL areas demand teachers with higher degrees, and often receive more funding from the state due to tests scores, etc. Those schools should pay more so that teachers can live in the surrounding areas that they teach in. North Shore Chicago is a very good example. Unfortunately, the system in Illinois leaves lower income areas stranded with very limited funding, causing the current dilemma that we see there today.

Unfortunately, the higher COL and higher pay equation is not always the case. In Massachusetts, teachers in MetroWest districts typically make $80-$90k, but in a situation where they are the solo earner for the family, that's not enough. Not even close. They're forced to live closer to Worcester and commute.

It's a pretty complex issue, one that is debated in my household endlessly. Don't forget, the more you pay the teacher, the less expenditure per student.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:04 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
300k is a reasonable figure in Chicagoland. It’ll get you something decent in Schaumburg, Arlington Heights or Des Plaines.
I'd argue to peg it down to the $175k-275k range, if you opt to live in the south suburbs such as in the Homewood-Flossmoor district, which still has decent schools(especially by OP's criteria) and is considered a safe area. It's about a 45-1hr train ride to downtown on the Metra.

There's also Tinley Park with SFH in that price range that is 3 bdr in the older sections of town.
https://www.trulia.com/property/3236...-Park-IL-60477.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
I have no empirical data, but everything I've heard, teachers live well in Texas.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:00 PM

304 posts, read 293,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I have no empirical data, but everything I've heard, teachers live well in Texas.
I was discussing this is one of the Texas city forums, and I think the agreement from long time residents is that while there may be some small pockets in the cities where a single teacher raising two kids could afford a sfh and still have a decent life, the affordability factor is going away quickly.

Though I also have no empirical evidence.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:26 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,843,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
I was discussing this is one of the Texas city forums, and I think the agreement from long time residents is that while there may be some small pockets in the cities where a single teacher raising two kids could afford a sfh and still have a decent life, the affordability factor is going away quickly.

Though I also have no empirical evidence.
Curious to figure out what the average % of a states income tax are used for educational allotment. I've seen numbers that suggest around 20%. From there, what % is spent on teachers salaries.

In any case, I wonder how it affects a state like Texas. I know property taxes are higher, but that wouldn't absorb the blow, especially considering properties are valued lower than many other states. With increasing COL, I wonder how the pay scale shifts for teachers.

I guess this is why people make a career out of politics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.