Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times

Advertisements

You can get a decent house in Erie for $55K-$100K. Pretty much the same price range for the areas around the city.

If you move to Meadville (40 miles S) it is right off of I-79 and Pittsburgh is about an 80-mile commute. It would be a longer haul but it would be doable. People drive these kinds of distances all of the time

I've had calls from recruiters in the Pittsburgh area before and have thought about a couple of the jobs they were talking about semi-seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here in Sammamish, WA the median SFH is $947,000, going up 10-13%/year since about 2010. There are a few new developments, starting prices at 1.1 million, but older 1970s fixers can be found for under $600,000. At any price, they sell fast with multiple offers over asking.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:54 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here in Sammamish, WA the median SFH is $947,000, going up 10-13%/year since about 2010. There are a few new developments, starting prices at 1.1 million, but older 1970s fixers can be found for under $600,000. At any price, they sell fast with multiple offers over asking.
Pretty much California prices? At that rate, I'll live in Cali.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM

821 posts, read 759,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Honestly, I can't even fathom a home of that price. A price like that here would buy a brand new 6,000 square foot mansion in the best school district.

Last edited by cjoseph; 01-15-2018 at 06:52 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Curious to figure out what the average % of a states income tax are used for educational allotment. I've seen numbers that suggest around 20%. From there, what % is spent on teachers salaries.

In any case, I wonder how it affects a state like Texas. I know property taxes are higher, but that wouldn't absorb the blow, especially considering properties are valued lower than many other states. With increasing COL, I wonder how the pay scale shifts for teachers.

I guess this is why people make a career out of politics...
I wouldn't say property is valued lower than "many" other states, just a few of the most expensive other states like California, NY, NJ, WA, and maybe CO. The majority of states are cheaper than Texas though.

Texas is a great state tax wise for someone like myself, I work in sales so my income fluctuates. I don't get heavily punished (as much) for having a good month or year because there is no state income tax. I don't have a fixed income so Texas works great for me, I can out earn inflation.

I know lots of teachers, my brother is a teacher's assistant (working on full certification) with one of the charter schools systems, and I have half a dozen buddies whos wives or girlfriends are teachers as well.

I think it would be pretty difficult have a family on single teachers income here. My brother has plans to move somewhere cheaper after he has the resume qualifications to do so. He is also aware that if he gets married it will have to be a duel income family, which he is cool with.

One of my buddy's wife has been working towards getting a job at a top parochial school so that their future kids can go for free and they can save money by not caring what school district they live in.

DISD is a mess. I think the pay is pretty OK, but it is incredibly messy and corrupt. Part of the leadership of the district is under FBI investigation last I saw. None of the teachers I know who worked for DISD still do, they all got better jobs.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I wouldn't say property is valued lower than "many" other states, just a few of the most expensive other states like California, NY, NJ, WA, and maybe CO. The majority of states are cheaper than Texas though.

Texas is a great state tax wise for someone like myself, I work in sales so my income fluctuates. I don't get heavily punished (as much) for having a good month or year because there is no state income tax. I don't have a fixed income so Texas works great for me, I can out earn inflation.

I know lots of teachers, my brother is a teacher's assistant (working on full certification) with one of the charter schools systems, and I have half a dozen buddies whos wives or girlfriends are teachers as well.

I think it would be pretty difficult have a family on single teachers income here. My brother has plans to move somewhere cheaper after he has the resume qualifications to do so. He is also aware that if he gets married it will have to be a duel income family, which he is cool with.

One of my buddy's wife has been working towards getting a job at a top parochial school so that their future kids can go for free and they can save money by not caring what school district they live in.

DISD is a mess. I think the pay is pretty OK, but it is incredibly messy and corrupt. Part of the leadership of the district is under FBI investigation last I saw. None of the teachers I know who worked for DISD still do, they all got better jobs.
I would guess Texas is the priciest state in the south for home ownership, depending on where you live of course. 200k, imo, you can still find reasonable housing in 95% of Texas cities except possibly Austin.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:27 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes ckhthankgod, that is my school district, the best in the area.

At the hotel I work at, parents who come up from the city or long island come up and some actually look to BUY BUY an extra home for for the college student child because mortgages are so low compared to student rentals. If they sell 5 years later, they will at least get what they paid, the interest included. I've printed off more than one set of listings for a parent to peruse.

Maine End well school district on the other side of the river is also good. Union Endicott us a pretty good school though Endicott is a dead town. Binghamton proper school district is about the worst here, due somewhat to the city people who come up here causing trouble, but wanting out of the city.

Taxes may be high, in fact the taxes in our chosen retirement area are a joke compared to here they are,so low.

$500 k would buy you one of the 5k sqft mansions on South front street or riverside drive in Binghamton, and I mean mansions...with ballrooms and servants quarters and HUGE carriage house s!!! Taxes are like $15k a year or so, though, if that cheap. Check out 125 Riverside drive Binghamton. $465k for 5,804 sqft, 5 br, 4 baths, library large enclosed porch, cathedral ceiling great room, custom huge kitchen, Tudor style 2 story home. Just for example

Vestal has city areas, suburban areas, and country areas so any residential life preference youd like is here. If you really want to call it city or rural.

The Vestal parkway is a shopping meca for the area. Lined with any number of shops, stores businesses and restaurants. Binghamton University is on the parkway, so easy student access is good, even by bus if no car is handy.

So yeah it's a nice stable affordable area. Dont expect high salaries though, because it is so affordable.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 01-16-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Yes ckhthankgod, that is my school district, the best in the area.

At the hotel I work at, parents who come up from the city or long island come up and some actually look to BUY BUY an extra home for for the college student child because mortgages are so low compared to student rentals. If they sell 5 years later, they will at least get what they paid, the interest included. I've printed off more than one set of listings for a parent to peruse.

Maine End well school district on the other side of the river is also good. Union Endicott us a pretty good school though Endicott is a dead town. Binghamton proper school district is about the worst here, due somewhat to the city people who come up here causing trouble, but wanting out of the city.

Taxes may be high, in fact the taxes in our chosen retirement area are a joke compared to here they are,so low.

$500 k would buy you one of the 5k sqft mansions on South front street or riverside drive in Binghamton, and I mean mansions...with ballrooms and servants quarters and HUGE carriage house s!!! Taxes are like $15k a year or so, though, if that cheap. Check out 125 Riverside drive Binghamton. $465k for 5,804 sqft, 5 br, 4 baths, library large enclosed porch, cathedral ceiling great room, custom huge kitchen, Tudor style 2 story home. Just for example

Vestal has city areas, suburban areas, and country areas so any residential life preference youd like is here. If you really want to call it city or rural.

The Vestal parkway is a shopping meca for the area. Lined with any number of shops, stores businesses and restaurants. Binghamton University is on the parkway, so easy student access is good, even by bus if no car is handy.

So yeah it's a nice stable affordable area. Dont expect high salaries though, because it is so affordable.

I know what you are referring to, as parents of Syracuse University students do the same thing and look at homes near campus to buy for their child. Same thing happens with parents of University of Rochester/Rochester Institute of Technology students and parts of Rochester’s 19th Ward as well. They figure why not buy a home, rent some of it to another student(2 or 3) and then sell it once their child is finished. This occurs more often than people may think.

I’ve also heard that the West Side of Binghamton(south of Main Street) is pretty popular with students as well and is the nicest part of the city. Plus, it isn’t far from Binghamton University.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-16-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 06:27 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Southern/western Connecticut will be 700k+ for a 3br 1 bath non updated home in a good school district

Northern/eastern Connecticut will be about 300-400 for the same home..

Old 01-16-2018, 10:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,110,908 times
I live a mile north of downtown OKC. In my neighborhood and two other adjacent neighborhoods, the average listing prices are $1.06 million, $615K, and $589K. Respectively, the medians are $1.11 million, $537K, and $550K. The median listing price for OKC as a whole is $180K, according to Realtor.

Last edited by KayneMo; 01-16-2018 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.