Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

I agree with Canudigit, she said somewhere in South Florida. South Florida is more liberal than the traditional south, it’s always warm and it just seems closest to what the OP is looking for. The West Coast is the only other thought that comes to mind, even the PNW stays relatively warm during winter because of its oceanic climate. A liberal would find Oregon or Washington to be seventh heaven too. Just my thoughts.
OR/WA probably is the OP's ideal spot, politically speaking, but it doesn't fit the other parameters. If she thinks Nashville is too wintry harsh and not sunny enough, then the western portions of these states will definitely not work for her. The eastern portions probably would be too dry overall, with much more winter harshness than she'd like to handle.

OP, check out all the big college towns. Maybe check out Little Rock, Athens and Macon as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,505 times
Goochland County, VA. It is a rural county but borders Short Pump which is a huge shopping area in Western Henrico with anything you could want and it is also about 20min away from Richmond. Western Henrico/Goochland county are both well educated areas with excellent schools. The Richmond area is blue and also has several universities.

https://www.goochlandva.us/

Parts of Goochland are also about equal distance between Charlottesville(UVA,Monticello ect) and Richmond

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...=en&authuser=0

This area would put you within 2 hours of the beach, the mountains and Washington DC. The Richmond Area has mild winters and IMO has to best traffic for a Metro of its size. Goochland is also VERY strict on development so their is plenty of natural beauty in the area. You can literally drive into Goochland from western Henrico and watch the development stop at the county line.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM

405 posts, read 476,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I didn't vote for Trump. I can't imagine a situation where I would.

No one would ever accuse me of being ultraconservative.

I'm not a Bible thumper.

I don't own a gun, nor would I care to.

And I'm pretty certain that I don't have a small mind.

Yet, everything you've just written in that sentence offends the hell out of me.

Congratulations. You are embracing the very small-mindedness you detest. The crowning irony of your statement is that, in your evident desire to be seen as some exemplar of progressive and open-minded thinking (Holy smokes, it's even in your account name for crying out loud), you're not above the lazy stereotyping of others. It seems your entire understanding of people who believe differently from you derives from old reruns of Dukes of Hazzard on Nick at Nite. Yet small-mindedness isn't about political leanings, but about lack of receptiveness to others with whom you don't necessarily agree. With that in mind, the only difference between you and the stereotype you deplore is your vote on Election Day.

Here's the deal. Despite your desire to segregate the world into binary political camps, people are not voting blocs. They are individuals who are interesting, have value, and likely have a thing or two to teach you if you can manage to get past your preconceived opinions. Politics, in truth, is a pretty limited way to describe oneself or others. It is one-dimensional. It is more about striking a pose rather than being a living, breathing person. I have friends with political opinions diametrically opposed to my own, yet we still enjoy our time together. Because 99% of a person is not ideology, but how they function in the world on a daily basis. And those people have a way of surprising those who take the time to listen and converse.

Hey, nothing I'm saying is anything new. In fact, if you want a drop-the-mic moment, read this wisdom from the Village Voice: https://www.villagevoice.com/2014/08...-wing-*******/ Money quote:

"When we lump people into groups, quickly label them, and assume we know everything about them and their life based on a perceived world view, how they look, where they come from, etc., we are not behaving as full human beings. When we truly believe that some people are monsters, that they fundamentally are less human than we are, and that they deserve to have less than we do, we ourselves become the monsters. When we allow our emotions to be hypnotized by the excitement of petty bickering about seemingly important topics, we drift further and further away from the fragile and crucial human bond holding everything together. When we anticipate with ferocious glee the next chance we have to prove someone “wrong” and ourselves “right,” all the while disregarding the vast complexity of almost every subject — not to mention the universe as a whole — we are reducing the beauty and magic of life to a “side” or a “type,” or worst of all, an “answer.” This is the power of politics at it’s most sinister."

These threads come up every once in a while, and they can be roughly translated as follows: "Hi, there. I don't like the place I live, so I want to live somewhere with different values and priorities, yet I want everyone to think precisely the way they did in the city I want to leave."
Thank you. Some people really need a reality check

Old 01-16-2018, 01:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
There are no "liberal" towns, like the real world every town will have a diverse option of people, you will run into people who have all sorts of political views and world views..

Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,302,894 times
Not many options in this country outside of South Florida.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
goochland virginia, or Charlottesville area. Weather might be borderline

Old 02-06-2018, 01:22 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
There are no "liberal" towns, like the real world every town will have a diverse option of people, you will run into people who have all sorts of political views and world views..

a few weeks before the 2016 election I spent a couple days in Seattle with my friend who was wearing a Trump MAGA T-shirt. You would not believe how many people approached him saying they loved his shirt. That's when it hit me that no place is 100% liberal or conservative. The percentages are different but every place had a spectrum of political beliefs.

I was a liberal when I was a teenager. I remember reading the county election results in the World Almanac. I told my grandma that I would like to visit Tucson because Democrats win but not Phoenix because Republicans win in Maricopa County. My grandma, who always voted a straight Democrat ticket, was appalled by what I was saying and thought it was in terrible taste. She said I should not judge a city by politics, it shouldn't be a factor at all. She had wisdom that many people don't have today.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
No not austin!!! It's way too crowded. We hear some places up near dallas are great!!! Dallas voted blue in the last election!!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
Last post was sarcasm. B/C its gotten WAY crowded here in Austin. But it is a pretty awesome place to live...

Old 02-10-2018, 07:32 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
a few weeks before the 2016 election I spent a couple days in Seattle with my friend who was wearing a Trump MAGA T-shirt. You would not believe how many people approached him saying they loved his shirt. That's when it hit me that no place is 100% liberal or conservative. The percentages are different but every place had a spectrum of political beliefs.

I was a liberal when I was a teenager. I remember reading the county election results in the World Almanac. I told my grandma that I would like to visit Tucson because Democrats win but not Phoenix because Republicans win in Maricopa County. My grandma, who always voted a straight Democrat ticket, was appalled by what I was saying and thought it was in terrible taste. She said I should not judge a city by politics, it shouldn't be a factor at all. She had wisdom that many people don't have today.
Maybe tourists. Trump only received 8% of the vote in Seattle and he's probably even less popular now if that's possible. Agree with others suggesting smaller towns in southern Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.