Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 AM

67,658 posts, read 60,168,407 times

Advertisements

Wimberley, TX. It's southwest of Austin, in the beautiful hill country, has a small town feel but is very close to both Austin and San Antonio, it's an artists' enclave, very funky and quirky.

Just don't buy right on the river and be sure you check whether or not you're in a flood plain, because that area is prone to flooding in heavy rains. But if you're at a good elevation you should be fine.

https://www.cityofwimberley.com/]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimberley,_Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM

511 posts, read 390,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Austin, TX.
Austin is full.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:58 AM

26,800 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Austin is full.
Nor small...

Old 08-12-2018, 02:16 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
If the OP thinks Nashville winters are too harsh, I don't think she will like Chapel Hill's winters much better. They are practically identical weather-wise.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM

5,850 posts, read 2,784,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That is insane. 8%?
Yes and Hillary got 105% ,,lol

Old 08-13-2018, 11:12 AM

15,953 posts, read 10,517,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
Forgot to mention New Mexico, majority Hispanic and Native American, very liberal, has small cities and is warm.
New Mexico is a 'Blue' state with 2 million people so a little frontier-ish in places (5th largest state). It is possibly the prettiest state for unspoiled scenery. It is culturally diverse and has a near perfect climate. The three main cultures respect and support each other. European settlement began around 1595 so there is a lot of history. It struggles economically partly because of the low and somewhat dispersed population but also the public school system is often struggling in some places.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,705 times
Default Perhaps the PNW

Don't rule out the NW because of weather. For some reason, we're not getting the constant drizzle for which we're known in Seattle. In fact, our summers have become long sunny, dry and hot. The winters just don't seem as rainy. I've lived here 23 years and love it.

Regarding political climate, the Seattle/Tacoma urban areas are more liberal. However, when you venture beyond city limits the counties become much more conservative. I live in a delightful waterfront town south of Seattle and it is mostly conservative. As a staunch liberal, I'm going against the grain around my neighborhood but have a found a few like-minded souls :) Best advice from my grandma was to avoid discussing politics,religion or finances if you want to keep the peace. I don't always follow that advice but try to most of the time.

The outlying areas in Puget Sound will definitely have the lush vegetation and land that you seek. Farmers markets are a given of course. Culture may be a little more challenging as that will entail a trip to downtown Seattle or Tacoma for the most part.

Housing prices are high but nothing compared to San Francisco area or the East Coast. Same goes for property taxes. We're paying $1.12 per thousand assessed value.

The only downside right now for us is the wildfire smoke in the summer. The last two summers have been really bad. We pretty much had to spend 4 weeks inside this summer. I couldn't even tend the garden without wearing an N95 mask.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:24 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressiveBelle View Post
Hmmmm.. hadn't really considered the Chapel Hill/R/D area. Since I'm originally from NC I had mostly nixed everything except possibly Asheville. However, a lot has probably changed since I lived there and honestly I have never really spent much time in that part of the state. Something to ponder.

Austin is out - we visited there prior to moving to Charleston and nixed it because it is WAY too dry as soon as you get a few feet outside the city proper. Also, we found the city to be a bit narrower in a lot of ways than their marketing agency would have people believe. I don't think we'd be happy in Texas..... But thanks for the idea!

Also, we'll do some research on Gainesville. That hadn't really cropped up previously either. Thanks!
What does their marketing agency say? I need to catch up. It's pretty liberal...for the south and Texas. 75% voted for Beto.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Bibles and guns make a grotesque combination.

Here are a few possibilities, all are at least mildly liberal; some are very liberal:

It definitely would not check all your boxes, but you might consider SE Arizona: the outskirts of Tucson if you want to be not-too-far from a big city; Bisbee if you'd rather go for small-town (and remote). The landscape is not woodsy, but the desert around Tucson has more vegetation than you might expect. And even within the city, sometimes at night you can hear coyote calls. The weather is HOT, of course.

OR:

Flagstaff, AZ Beautiful ponderosa-pine forests (it's northern Arizona), the Grand Canyon nearby, lots of sun, but coldy and snow winters owing to the high elevation.

OR:

Humboldt County, CA Eureka and Arcata are the main towns in this land of beaches and redwood forests. Mild temperatures year-round, lots of rain. Pot culture is pervasive, in case that bothers you. Five hours to the nearest big city! (San Fran)

Two great areas.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,607 times
Pleasetell me if you find a suitable place, as I’m looking too. I’m in central Fla. now and it is so red and conservative. I feel surrounded. I too don’t like real cold weather or I’m sure I could find places up North or out West. Also the far West is so expensive I have heard. I googled a list just the other day and besides cities in the North, it came up with St. Louis, Mo., Alexandria, Va., Bethesda, Md., Raleigh Durham area, Annapolis, Md., Ithaca, NY and some others in the NE and of course Calif, Oregon and Wash state. Nothing really in the south except the Miami area. Some of those are too expensive, too crowded and too cold. I really like the climate of the south and the natural beauty, but I dislike the ultra right, conservative, super religious feel there. I like the arts and intellectualism and college for seniors atmosphere. I did live in Asheville and it is a great place. But it is getting expensive and too cold for me. Other than that it is pretty perfect, if you stay in the city area because out from that, you might as well be in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.