Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinMary View Post
Pleasetell me if you find a suitable place, as I’m looking too. I’m in central Fla. now and it is so red and conservative. I feel surrounded. I too don’t like real cold weather or I’m sure I could find places up North or out West. Also the far West is so expensive I have heard. I googled a list just the other day and besides cities in the North, it came up with St. Louis, Mo., Alexandria, Va., Bethesda, Md., Raleigh Durham area, Annapolis, Md., Ithaca, NY and some others in the NE and of course Calif, Oregon and Wash state. Nothing really in the south except the Miami area. Some of those are too expensive, too crowded and too cold. I really like the climate of the south and the natural beauty, but I dislike the ultra right, conservative, super religious feel there. I like the arts and intellectualism and college for seniors atmosphere. I did live in Asheville and it is a great place. But it is getting expensive and too cold for me. Other than that it is pretty perfect, if you stay in the city area because out from that, you might as well be in Alabama.
Hi Mary, as a whole, the south is conservative. But, Austin, New Orleans, Raleigh, Miami, and Atlanta are very liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:51 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
It looks like the OP hasn't posted again since early January.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,668 times
I am in search of same thing! Lived in OH, CO and now in AZ, and still can’t find home. Considering Tucson! Would love to know what you find! ✌️

Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,149 times
I realize I’m late to this message, but Marin, Sonoma, or Napa Counties (just north of San Francisco) fit exactly what you’re looking for! The moderate year round weather, overall sunshine, open space nature, and political climate! Also if you’re craving live theater or museums it’s a quick drive to SF. I am a Bay Area native, and proud! I’ve lived in five different states, as well as abroad for a summer, and I always move back here! I’ve been in SF for 15 years now. It’s too good to ever leave!

Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,655 times
I want the exact same things!!! We just moved from Evergreen, CO. The long winter killed me. It is affordable, some liberals but not a ton and where do you go to church was the first question for many. I would love to hear if you find out about any places. I now live in Hermosa Beach, CA which is way too crowded, expensive and too much traffic. I’m looking to make a change for my family. If something perfect pops up please let me know.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 30,201 times
It's nice to know there are other people out there looking for the same things. I've lived the majority of my life in a land locked bible belt state. There are certainly cities within that area that are more liberal, but they have really gotten crowded over the last 10-20 years. Austin, TX - Norman, OK - Fayetteville AR.

Seems difficult to find a nice community that leans to the left that is: not on a coast, lower cost of living, not already overcrowded, still in reach of a bigger city or has it's own resources like an airport, major shopping..etc.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyRhea View Post
I realize I’m late to this message, but Marin, Sonoma, or Napa Counties (just north of San Francisco) fit exactly what you’re looking for! The moderate year round weather, overall sunshine, open space nature, and political climate! Also if you’re craving live theater or museums it’s a quick drive to SF. I am a Bay Area native, and proud! I’ve lived in five different states, as well as abroad for a summer, and I always move back here! I’ve been in SF for 15 years now. It’s too good to ever leave!
I completely agree with this. It just depends on whether people can afford the North Bay counties. A slice of heaven is expensive, it turns out.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyRhea View Post
Buying a house with acreage in any of those three counties would more expensive than most people could afford.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I like Eugene Oregon, it's still relatively affordable and not that hard to find a decent house on at least a few acres for under 500k. It's a smallish liberal college town. https://www.redfin.com/OR/Eugene/852.../home/26171840 Ashland is another option but even though I'm quite liberal it's a little too weird and hippyish for me, I have that same problem with Nevada City in Northern California they both seem like places where aging hippies go to die.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:38 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I have yet to visit the area but know some people in Gainesville, FL. The town seems fairly progressive--not sure how far out a person would have to move to get 15 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.