Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 03:25 AM

297 posts, read 245,492 times

Advertisements

I am a Northerner born and raised in the Upper Midwest, large city
with Northern European population. I am white, straight,educated,
believe in God but not religious. I am retired several years
I was looking at some cities over 100k in Arkansas, KY, TN,
GA, AL, VA, WV. But I keep running into review complaints about how hard it
is for a newcomer to be accepted and treated fairly by the good ol boy networks in most of these cities. Especially if you're not FROM the south or don't have family there or do not belong to THEIR church.

So I'm wondering just how bad is it? Will I have to fake my religious beliefs and join a church I don't really believe in their spiel in order to be considered for work? Will it be hard to find a date unless they know my family or I am in their Church? Which cities in your experience are most open to recent transplant newcomers? Which of the states I have mentioned are the worst
for this. I will limit my search to cities over 100k to avoid this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2022, 07:23 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Mostly an outdated stereotype although there are still some exceptions. By state I would venture given the diversity and likelihood of frequent transplants cities like Little Rock and Fayetteville in Arkansas, Lexington and Louisville in Kentucky, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro and Knoxville in Tennessee, obviously Atlanta as well as Savannah and Athens in Georgia (Augusta and/or Columbus?), Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile and Tuscaloosa in Alabama, Virginia is wide open with no city above 100K on the avoid list and in West Virginia would include Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown and the eastern panhandle round Shepherdstown, Charles Town and Harpers Ferry.

Old 11-11-2022, 04:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
This is a pretty misleading notion about the south. All smaller, provincial type cities that haven't seen growth or have a large student population will be a bit harder to break into.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:37 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is a pretty misleading notion about the south. All smaller, provincial type cities that haven't seen growth or have a large student population will be a bit harder to break into.
I disagree regarding that component as large student populations mean large faculty, administration and staff populations, typically eager to meet new faces that aren't students or co-workers.

Old 11-12-2022, 12:52 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Lexington Kentucky has a good number of Midwest transplants and some northerners. Small international communities, in part because of university.

Church affiliation won't likely matter much in employment with large organizations, though powerful individual bosses could show favoritism for that or other reasons anywhere and especially in smaller companies. Social affiliations might be pretty church influenced for maybe half, probably not for half or more. A lot will of course depend on your personality and efforts.

Border south and bigger cities probably less insular than deeper south / smaller cities, though I'd guess it is not as hard generally as 20 plus years ago. Some of those who find it very hard may or may not be trying that hard / well or might have issues beyond state of origin. But it is fair / realistic to expect some challenges anywhere new. Most people don't NEED newcomers, so expect that you'll have to do most of the work. Some people LIKE new or most people and might make it easier.

Lexington has a pretty good reputation as friendly. But take thousands or tens of thousands of opinions and you'll have some on both sides most or all places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-12-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-12-2022, 01:09 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,709,127 times
When I visited Louisville, it seemed pretty hip and everyone I talked to was friendly and about as outgoing as the Upper Midwest. It might be an option OP would like.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:29 PM

146 posts, read 152,375 times
Tennessee is transplant central nowadays, you'll have a good chance of fitting in there.

Old 11-12-2022, 02:56 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everMissouri View Post
Tennessee is transplant central nowadays, you'll have a good chance of fitting in there.

Any larger metropolitan area in the South that has anything at all going for it is 'transplant central' now.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:52 PM

Default Thanks for the on point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Mostly an outdated stereotype although there are still some exceptions. By state I would venture given the diversity and likelihood of frequent transplants cities like Little Rock and Fayetteville in Arkansas, Lexington and Louisville in Kentucky, Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Murfreesboro and Knoxville in Tennessee, obviously Atlanta as well as Savannah and Athens in Georgia (Augusta and/or Columbus?), Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile and Tuscaloosa in Alabama, Virginia is wide open with no city above 100K on the avoid list and in West Virginia would include Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown and the eastern panhandle round Shepherdstown, Charles Town and Harpers Ferry.
list.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:56 PM

Default Yeah Lexington, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Lexington Kentucky has a good number of Midwest transplants and some northerners. Small international communities, in part because of university.

Church affiliation won't likely matter much in employment with large organizations, though powerful individual bosses could show favoritism for that or other reasons anywhere and especially in smaller companies. Social affiliations might be pretty church influenced for maybe half, probably not for half or more. A lot will of course depend on your personality and efforts.

Border south and bigger cities probably less insular than deeper south / smaller cities, though I'd guess it is not as hard generally as 20 plus years ago. Some of those who find it very hard may or may not be trying that hard / well or might have issues beyond state of origin. But it is fair / realistic to expect some challenges anywhere new. Most people don't NEED newcomers, so expect that you'll have to do most of the work. Some people LIKE new or most people and might make it easier.

Lexington has a pretty good reputation as friendly. But take thousands or tens of thousands of opinions and you'll have some on both sides most or all places.
The City has gotten expensive for rents last year, as have most places. Their University has no off campus housing office making it more difficult for newbies. What I mean is UKY maintains not off-campus housing list neither by paper or online.

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 11-12-2022 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.