Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:05 PM

18 posts, read 10,404 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move sometime in the next year. We are late 20s/early 30s and both work in Accounting. I am pretty much certain to be allowed to continue my current job remotely, while he most likely will need/want to find a new job when we move. Currently we pay around $1,800/mo for a one bedroom 900 square foot apartment and would like to be around that in a new place. Current combined income is around $130k/year.

Currently we live in Orlando, FL and struggle to find anything we like about it. I have been here 2 years and he has been here 5. We hate that is is so hot year round, has such insane traffic, generally (in our personal experience) rude people, and with rising costs to live it doesn't seem worth it to stay. The only thing we like is being able to go to the theme parks, which are too crowded anyways.

Me: grew up in Lake Tahoe, CA and then lived in Reno, NV for 6 years. I miss living in the mountains, having snow (though could live with very few snowy days), and just the whole vibe of the area. I left because I wanted to try something different and picked the exact opposite of a place to live, now looking to find a middle ground of sorts. I also think Reno is way too expensive for what you get anymore and it is too far from major cities. My wishlist would include being near mountains, having seasons (most specifically Fall), living somewhere that has decent walk-ability, some comforts of living in/near a major city without all the traffic/noise/etc. I would love to be able to walk/bike to a cool coffee shop on the weekends.

Him: Grew up in Kansas and has lived in Texas and Oklahoma before moving to Florida. Kansas was nice to grow up in for him, but is not busy enough. Texas he loved and would be willing to move back to Ft. Worth. Oklahoma was horrible and he will not go back. His wishlist is being close enough to see live sports teams, having seasons, within driving range to mountains for occasional skiing. History sites or museums and aquariums are also a big plus.

We are pretty quiet people and like to spend time at home with our dog (12 pound terrier) or out walking and playing Pokemon Go. We plan to start a family in the next 3-5 years so somewhere decent for kids to grow up would be a plus as well (though not our biggest concern currently).

So far he likes the idea of the mountains in TN or somewhere in CO. I would love to go back to California but I don't think that is realistic if we ever want to buy a house somewhere. Any suggestions for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 08:19 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
West side of Greeley CO? Maybe Eagle ID. Fountain CO (south of Colorado Springs)? Chico, CA?

Chattanooga TN? Davidson NC (north of Charlotte)? Morgantown WV? Clemson, SC?

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-22-2020 at 09:01 PM..

Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I was thinking of the Albany NY area given that NYC is about 2 and a half hours, if that. You can get there by train as well. It fits a lot of what you are looking for. Boston is also a similar drive time.

There’s also the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area of PA, which fits a lot of what you are looking for, while being pretty close to NYC and Philadelphia.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:36 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Is Carson City a possibility or off the table?

Old 06-23-2020, 12:33 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknitterz View Post
Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are looking to move sometime in the next year. We are late 20s/early 30s and both work in Accounting. I am pretty much certain to be allowed to continue my current job remotely, while he most likely will need/want to find a new job when we move. Currently we pay around $1,800/mo for a one bedroom 900 square foot apartment and would like to be around that in a new place. Current combined income is around $130k/year.

Currently we live in Orlando, FL and struggle to find anything we like about it. I have been here 2 years and he has been here 5. We hate that is is so hot year round, has such insane traffic, generally (in our personal experience) rude people, and with rising costs to live it doesn't seem worth it to stay. The only thing we like is being able to go to the theme parks, which are too crowded anyways.

Me: grew up in Lake Tahoe, CA and then lived in Reno, NV for 6 years. I miss living in the mountains, having snow (though could live with very few snowy days), and just the whole vibe of the area. I left because I wanted to try something different and picked the exact opposite of a place to live, now looking to find a middle ground of sorts. I also think Reno is way too expensive for what you get anymore and it is too far from major cities. My wishlist would include being near mountains, having seasons (most specifically Fall), living somewhere that has decent walk-ability, some comforts of living in/near a major city without all the traffic/noise/etc. I would love to be able to walk/bike to a cool coffee shop on the weekends.

Him: Grew up in Kansas and has lived in Texas and Oklahoma before moving to Florida. Kansas was nice to grow up in for him, but is not busy enough. Texas he loved and would be willing to move back to Ft. Worth. Oklahoma was horrible and he will not go back. His wishlist is being close enough to see live sports teams, having seasons, within driving range to mountains for occasional skiing. History sites or museums and aquariums are also a big plus.

We are pretty quiet people and like to spend time at home with our dog (12 pound terrier) or out walking and playing Pokemon Go. We plan to start a family in the next 3-5 years so somewhere decent for kids to grow up would be a plus as well (though not our biggest concern currently).

So far he likes the idea of the mountains in TN or somewhere in CO. I would love to go back to California but I don't think that is realistic if we ever want to buy a house somewhere. Any suggestions for us?
Check out Atlanta, specifically the NE suburb of Lawrenceville. It has some of the best schools in the state, a thriving historic downtown, a walkable city core, close proximity to Atlanta for pro sports and all kinds of activities (Georgia Aquarium for example), has four distinct seasons and is just over an hour from the North Georgia mountains.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknitterz View Post
Hello all,

I’m sure it would be hard to find anything to love about Orlando, or most places in this country, if you grew up in Lake Tahoe? That’s god’s country up there.

Have you thought about the mountain communities in the San Bernardino Mountains in Southern California? You get the four seasons, but you’re only 20-30 minutes away from 70 degree weather in the winter, and another hour to the beaches in Orange County.

Your boyfriend should be able to find work easily down the hill in the Inland Empire as well. Pro sports, and everything else you could ever want are close by in Los Angeles and San Diego, and skiing will be minutes away. Not sure of your budget, but housing is very affordable, and with $130K income you could afford a really nice house up there. Good luck, and hopefully you can make it back home.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:17 AM

186 posts, read 283,333 times
East TN will fit the bill based on your criteria. With that money you can easily rent a 3bd/2ba house with a big yard in a good neighborhood in and around Knoxville and the mountains are only a stone's throw away. Good luck.

Last edited by crltn19; 06-23-2020 at 05:27 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 05:31 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
It sounds like you miss home. You should just move back to Nevada. Just go to the Vegas suburbs. Summerlin is pretty safe, quiet, and upscale while being away from the hubbub of the strip. Homes are relatively affordable. Weather is similar to what you grew up with. Either that or Colorado Springs.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Are you specifically looking out west?

Old 06-23-2020, 06:49 AM

84 posts, read 58,624 times
Richmond, VA seems to fit all the criteria (relatively) nicely.

San Diego nails a lot of the list with the one glaring exception that is housing affordability.

Btw, walkability is only a realistic option for 3, 4, maybe 5 cities tops in the US. Everywhere else is either car-dependent or car-highly-recommended-unless-you-like-waiting-a-lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.